What exactly is the law around building your own handgun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DatBear

Mar 3, 2023
    Silver spring
    If someone were to build it with a store bought lower receiver, would you still have to apply for a hql? How does 3d printing work into the build? I understand fully 3d printing is illegal but how much could you get away with?

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    If someone were to build it with a store bought lower receiver, would you still have to apply for a hql? How does 3d printing work into the build? I understand fully 3d printing is illegal but how much could you get away with?

ATF.jpg

Interesting first post.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    View attachment 405330

Interesting first post.
    Yup. my thoughts exactly.
    At least Manti Te'o had relatively little to lose in comparison to someone who answers this wrongly, when catfished.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    Agree with others.. Interesting first question. If you built from a store bought receiver (for instance AR15 stripped lower) - then you're not manufacturing, you already own a firearm.

If you attempt to manufacturer, then I'd recommend some light reading. The question "...could you get away with" is not well received in this community. Sorry.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Dedicated pistol caliber receivers do not require 7 day wait, 77r, nor hql.
    Does require 4473 and NICS though.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    OP,

It's best to ask your own lawyer for legal advice.

Never depend on an undercover BAFTE agent or MSP trooper on the internet. They like to drum up their own business.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I know just a comment about some of the contradictory "laws" of MD.
    Yeah, I know you know. It was more for other people. The only reason standard AR lowers are considered regulated and automatically(but shouldn't) come with the 7 day wait/77r is so they get assigned with a purchase date so no one can build them into a banned configuration. Splain that one to me. Whats the difference between that and a Md approved AR with an Hbar? It's stupid.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    OP,

It's best to ask your own lawyer for legal advice.

Never depend on an undercover BAFTE agent or MSP trooper on the internet. They like to drum up their own business.
    I'm not the BATFE! Not anymore!

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Yeah, I know you know. It was more for other people. The only reason standard AR lowers are considered regulated and automatically(but shouldn't) come with the 7 day wait/77r is so they get assigned with a purchase date so no one can build them into a banned configuration. Splain that one to me. Whats the difference between that and a Md approved AR with an Hbar? It's stupid.
    We all know why the HBAR rule was put in it was to placate the "Fudds" and carve up the more "liberal" gunowners from the more "conservative" gunowners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom