What did you learn at your Wear & Carry training class that you didn't know before attending?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Where does it say your blood alcohol must be zero? The MD statute says “ under the influence”

I can have a beer and not be “under the influence” even if my BAC is not zero

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TRON 2.0

Free light cycle rides
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 13, 2011
    PG county
    1) That you're not allowed in MD to have a blood alcohol level over 0 when carrying. It is against the law.
    2) "No gun" signs are not enforced by law in MD, but are in DC.
    3) If someone in MD sees your firearm and asks you to leave their establishment. You could be charged with Trespass + firearm if you refuse.
    4) You're not allowed to carry in an establishment in DC that makes 80% or more of its revenue from alcohol.
    5) You're not allowed to carry in DC within a 1000 feet of a representative - even if it's an unplanned visit.
    Did you have a combination MD & DC class??

I tried to get the WaS people to do the application for DC at the same time as my MD class but they said “the classes are too different to combine”.

Yes I do know now most of what I was told at WaS was made up on the spot.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Where does it say your blood alcohol must be zero? The MD statute says “ under the influence”

I can have a beer and not be “under the influence”

This

Not that I’d drink with a gun on my hip, but I can drive after a couple beers since I’m not “under the influence”. No law says otherwise while carrying. BGOS.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    Did you have a combination MD & DC class??

I tried to get the WaS people to do the application for DC at the same time as my MD class but they said “the classes are too different to combine”.

Yes I do know now most of what I was told at WaS was made up on the spot.

I did. The DC portion was an after thought and took 20-30 minutes truth be told. The instructor finished the MD class released all the MD only students and then did the DC piece. The most helpful thing was that we got all the paperwork we needed for DC handed to us so all I had to do was fill it out.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Did your instructor tell you your BAC had to be zero to carry in MD. ? Because that’s wrong

TRON 2.0

Free light cycle rides
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 13, 2011
    PG county

You seem to be right on this, I can’t find it stated anywhere about alcohol levels and carrying

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air

I am just repeating what I was told. Isn't "under the influence" a little subjective - can't it be interpreted as BAC > 0?

He actually said the same about being at home. I asked the specific example:

"I am at home eating dinner with my family and having a beer. An intruder kicks down the door - I use my firearm to eliminate the threat". He said I would in trouble with the law since my BAC would probably not be zero.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    You won’t because that statute does not mention it. Only that you can not be “under the influence”

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I am just repeating what I was told. Isn't "under the influence" a little subjective - can't it be interpreted as BAC > 0?

"I am at home eating dinner with my family and having a beer. An intruder kicks down the door - I use my firearm to eliminate the threat". He said I would in trouble with the law since my BAC would probably not be zero.

Well I’d say he’s wrong I’m 6’1” and 215. If I drink a beer my BAC might be .02 but I’m perfectly fine to drive, and saying it has to be zero has no basis in law

I can’t be charged with a DWI if my BAC is.02. I’d say the same rule applies to carry, even with no mention of BAC in the statute

Hard to say you were when the MVA statute says it’s not

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The statute is ambiguous , and the scanty case law involves being literally falling on your face drunk .

on_the_rox

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2009
    Whiteford, MD

Good luck with that "at home" crap. Kick my door down and I don't think it's going to matter what my BAC is.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    We can all agree on the following facts:

Law- permit is void if you are under the influence

Universally accepted rule for safe firearms handling - don't use drugs or alcohol before or while using firearms

Reality- if you ever use your firearm to take the life of another in self defense, your every action will be questioned and second guessed for years, possibly in criminal or civil proceedings, that could result in the loss of your freedom and or assets.

So as an instructor:
    I explain these facts, I explain how they interact with one another. I put them in layman's terms. And I give my advice.

"That beer at Chili's probably isn't worth it."

I don't expect most people to remember the entire 4 minute lecture. I hope they remember my advice.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Not me but two of my employees took the class last weekend and learned that they should get two sets of fingerprints, one for the carry permit and one for the HQL and apply for them both at the same time because "the HQL will come faster".

Brute

Unwitting Accomplice
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2020
    Laurel
    Not me but two of my employees took the class last weekend and learned that they should get two sets of fingerprints, one for the carry permit and one for the HQL and apply for them both at the same time because "the HQL will come faster".
    I know what my next side hustle is going to be!

mward

Ultimate Member
    Dec 4, 2009
    Annapolis

Or you just wait for the W&C to get approved, then Apply for HQL with exception and get it approved same day without any more $…

Unless your comment was sarcasm then I plead silence.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Who told them that? The Livescan guy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom