What did you learn at your Wear & Carry training class that you didn't know before attending?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I got pulled over by a VA county sheriff last weekend on our way back from a shooting weekend with friends in WV. He did the usual slow walk past the back of the vehicle (a large SUV), and of course saw the payload area bristling with ammo cans, gun cases, gun belts with holsters in plain view. ...
    I keep a camouflaged poncho (worth the extra to get a real GI one vs. the chinesium ones that melt) in all of my vehicles to...uhh...camouflage any cargo that I don't want to advertise (to anyone really...although I do mentally refer to it as my, "get your own damn probable cause tarp.").

Life hack: as an added bonus, it can be used as a poncho if you unexpectedly get caught in the rain!

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I keep a camouflaged poncho (worth the extra to get a real GI one vs. the chinesium ones that melt) in all of my vehicles to...uhh...camouflage any cargo that I don't want to advertise (to anyone really...although I do mentally refer to it as my, "get your own damn probable cause tarp.").

Life hack: as an added bonus, it can be used as a poncho if you unexpectedly get caught in the rain!
    Yeah, if we have to enter dodgy circumstances or park while driving with the OMG THEY HAVE AN ARSENAL IN THEIR TRUCK! payload, I've got a couple of surplus Swiss military blankets that just turn everything in the back into ill defined lumps. That particular drive is a no-stop straight shot home, so we don't usually fret about it. Got nothing to hide, but definitely can't bank on every traffic stop (I average one every 20-25 years) involving a 2A friendly country boy deputy.

Good point on a quality poncho, though. I've got some disposable crap ponchos for emergencies, but they're probably made by the same people that make those useless grocery store bags.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County

Is that a real poncho or a Sears poncho?

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    REF "hodgepodge" COMMENT

Criminal Law § 4-203. Wearing, carrying, or transporting handgun.........
    (ii) wear, carry, or knowingly transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, in a vehicle traveling on a
    road or parking lot generally used by the public, ............
    MY NOTE: "OR PARKING LOT ."..........

This section does not prohibit:
    (3) the carrying of a handgun on the person or in a vehicle while the person is transporting the handgun to or
    from the place of legal purchase or sale, or to or from a bona fide repair shop, or between bona fide
    residences of the person, or between the bona fide residence and place of business of the person, if the
    business is operated and owned substantially by the person if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an
    enclosed case or an enclosed holster;.........
    MY NOTE" IMHO, The above means " direct transport to or from various places, as in the example above..

It does not include stopping at the local fast food joint (PUBLIC PARKING LOT)to have lunch, or what ever......
    Just my thoughts, YMMV......

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    This may have been answered before but will the fact you have a WC show up in the database if pulled over in MD?

Also, I’ve been pulled over a few times but it has been years. I know at least one time I was asked if I had any weapons in the car. So I wonder what the correct answer to that is in this context. Either tell the truth or refuse to answer seems to be the only options.
    The correct answer is you have nothing illegal in the car, if you are truly abiding by the law.

If you are breaking the law, answer directly and truthfully. Then consent to a search...

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    REF "hodgepodge" COMMENT

Criminal Law § 4-203. Wearing, carrying, or transporting handgun.........
    (ii) wear, carry, or knowingly transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, in a vehicle traveling on a
    road or parking lot generally used by the public, ............
    MY NOTE: "OR PARKING LOT ."..........

This section does not prohibit:
    (3) the carrying of a handgun on the person or in a vehicle while the person is transporting the handgun to or
    from the place of legal purchase or sale, or to or from a bona fide repair shop, or between bona fide
    residences of the person, or between the bona fide residence and place of business of the person, if the
    business is operated and owned substantially by the person if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an
    enclosed case or an enclosed holster;.........
    MY NOTE" IMHO, The above means " direct transport to or from various places, as in the example above..

It does not include stopping at the local fast food joint (PUBLIC PARKING LOT)to have lunch, or what ever......
    Just my thoughts, YMMV......

The law doesn’t say that you can’t, but you do what you’re comfortable with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    So I had this argument with my buddy, his W&C class instructor stated that it's illegal to have a weapon stored in a firearms safe in your vehicle. I pulled all relevant firearms statues from Justia Law, and cannot find that statement anywhere.
    The thing is, I plan on having a safe box "witht he stupid cable" in my car, for instances when I need to go to say, the post office, or a govt building etc. At that point I intend to unload and store safely.
    I also intend to do the same when I go to and from work, as I am not going to be carrying a gun on fire apparatus (despite there being NO current rule to the contrary.. oddly enough for MoCo)
    Pretty sure a locked car + locked safe = enough defense against stolen to not be held liable, not like I'm gonna keep it openly sitting on the seat in an unlocked car ffs

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    I found out Md actually has a non-resident permit. Seems strange based upon how they don't honor any other state's permit, so why would they give out permits to non-residents?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I found out Md actually has a non-resident permit. Seems strange based upon how they don't honor any other state's permit, so why would they give out permits to non-residents?
    The old G&S special status didn't apply strictly to residents; if you met the old G&S, you could get a permit regardless of where you lived . There has been no change in policy in this regard.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Yeah, MD will soon become the smash and grab handgun capitol of the US. Just look for the broken out window where the newbie's flimsy cheap NRA range bag used to be.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    They don't issue non resident permits, they issue permits to non residents, just like FL does.
    Did Florida change recently?

FL has(had?) resident and nonresident versions of their permit. At least that’s what mine was.

Maryland just has 1 permit. A wear and carry permit, and you do not need to be a resident of MD to get one.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    What have I learned from teaching this course since 2013..................

Some people are not ready, prepared, or mentally capable of carrying, let alone using, a firearm effectively or safely.

TD

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    That was my argument. His point was your gun is subject to theft if left in your vehicle. I said none of us in this classroom can be sure that no one is in our homes right now steeling our guns.

I’d like to know the exact legal answer to this. Since it’s unclear, my guess is that it’s not properly addressed by law.

Off the top of my head I can recall two separate incidents when people had handguns stolen from their parked cars, after being followed when leaving the range.

Nobody was arrested, no issue was made of leaving the guns in the car, and these victims didn't have carry permits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom