What did you learn at your Wear & Carry training class that you didn't know before attending?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TRON 2.0

Free light cycle rides
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 13, 2011
    PG county
    Another one that I though was common sense but after listening to the class I found out it wasn’t.

While the class was running through shoot/no shoot situations, if in a movie theater shooting incident. If shooter is in row 1 and you are in row 6. Most in the class responded that they would draw and try to eliminate the threat from the 6th row. Instructor had to inform most in the class that not only do you need to know what’s behind your target, you need to know what’s in front of the target. And that it is indeed illegal to shoot over people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Another one that I though was common sense but after listening to the class I found out it wasn’t.

While the class was running through shoot/no shoot situations, if in a movie theater shooting incident. If shooter is in row 1 and you are in row 6. Most in the class responded that they would draw and try to eliminate the threat from the 6th row. Instructor had to inform most in the class that not only do you need to know what’s behind your target, you need to know what’s in front of the target. And that it is indeed illegal to shoot over people.
    The greater good.

TRON 2.0

Free light cycle rides
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 13, 2011
    PG county
    Cite for illegal to shoot over people ?

I don’t have a cite for that, but I can definitely ask where it is states when I go to pickup the new toys I bought while on break from class. Should be back in 5 days to pickup the new toys.

TRON 2.0

Free light cycle rides
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 13, 2011
    PG county
    Cite for illegal to shoot over people ?

If I can’t find a cite for it, it still makes a lot of sense in that situation not to shoot over people. In that much chaos I would suspect that people would try to get up to run, meaning you aren’t going to get a clean shot and your odds of shooting an innocent bystander increase.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I don’t have a cite for that, but I can definitely ask where it is states when I go to pickup the new toys I bought while on break from class. Should be back in 5 days to pickup the new toys.

Spoiler alert: there will be no relevant cite forthcoming from whoever said it was illegal to do that.

Defense of others is an affirmative defense in Maryland. Still, the questions raised by that scenario are important.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Spoiler alert: there will be no relevant cite forthcoming from whoever said it was illegal to do that .

That was my point .

It would be legitimate to have discussion that it would frequently be problematic , often not be wise or prudent , etc . Highly dependent upon how the actual Situiation was unfolding at that exact moment

Are people still running around randomly ? Have enough seconds passed that everyone inbetween row 6 and row 1 already escaped / dropped to the floor/ crawling away below seat level / already dead ?

But not inherently illegal per se .

Unless that theater has their numbering system reversed , isn't row 1 closest to the screen , with no seats in front of it ? Heck . if it were reversed , row 1 would be against the back wall , with no one behind . Shooting from row 21 to row 15 would be a bitch .

Picking up a gun in 5 days ? Would this happen to be an unnamed gun store in A.A. Co ?

TRON 2.0

Free light cycle rides
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 13, 2011
    PG county
    Picking up a gun in 5 days ? Would this happen to be an unnamed gun store in A.A. Co ?

It is a store in A.A. Co. But 5 days would be the end of my 7 day wait. So hopefully the new toys are released in 5 days.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    If I can’t find a cite for it, it still makes a lot of sense in that situation not to shoot over people. In that much chaos I would suspect that people would try to get up to run, meaning you aren’t going to get a clean shot and your odds of shooting an innocent bystander increase.
    Bullets go really fast. If the people in the rows between you and the Row 1 Murderer are still seated (or ducking, etc), your shot at the bad guy is going to make the trip across those three or so yards in a hundredth of a second. Shooting over their heads at the bad guy is better than shooting over their corpses. Obviously every situation (and every single trigger pull IN each situation) is a judgement call. But the law is about criminal recklessness when using a firearm, and not in any way specific about what that means (like "shooting over someone's head"). Because each requires a reasonableness test from a jury. I'm 6'2", and can shoot over the heads (especially of people in lower rows in front of me) even when a lot of them are standing up. The instructor's generalization isn't constructive, and the assertion about illegality based on whose heads are where is just silliness.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I learned that a fire arm when transporting needs a “locking” device on it. Not as that standard states. Strd started it can be stored in a case, holster, in a locked trunk separated from ammo. I been traveling to and from the range with my handgun in the trunk of my vehicle in a zippered case unloaded, ammo in backseat in the opposite floor. I was told if a cop stopped me I would be in violation. ???
    Your instructor is ill informed.

Perfectly legal in MD to carry you firearm and ammo in the same case/container. Also perfectly legal in Maryland to carry loaded magazines in the same case, so long as they are not in the firearm.

The above is per MD AG opinion on the issue.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Sooo…we follow rules at the range. A lot goes out the window when it’s a defensive shooting or defense of others. In this instance, you do what you reasonably can do to defend life. Anyone who wrings their hands over whether to shoot over people to stop a situation where every bang is a life needs to do a lot more thinking before they carry a gun. If you have a clear shot, you take that shot. If my kids are between you and the gun man, and you have a clear shot…empty the goddamned magazine!!!! Please and thank you.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

Well, he's wrong LOL Did he show the law where it's illegal? It may not be prudent and tactically sound, but there's nothing illegal about it.

You probably won't be able to make the shot from the 6th row, because of people running around in front of you. And it's dark. Tough shot. Shooting inside a dark airplane cabin was tough. You're best bet is to try and close the distance to the shooter in order to guarantee your shot.
    Shooting an active shooter. Screw what's behind your target. Do everything in your power to not miss, if you are going to take a shot. Most people can't make a moving shot on a moving threat. Mobility is survivability, and you should be moving.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    The main thing I learned in my class was that, if I didn't mind paying the NRA more $ and give up a bunch of my weekends, that I should hang out a shingle and teach these classes. With 800 hours of self-defense training (to include pistol/carbine/shotgun, force on force, self defense law, trauma medicine, CQB, pepper spray, low-light, vehicle, unarmed combatives, plus Rangemaster Pistol Instructor certification), and the fact that I have an Advanced Professional Teaching Certificate from MSDE, I'm confident I could do a better job than who I went to. But all I cared about was cheap and easy to "check the box", so I really didn't care.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    That there is a silver lining to the fact that I need a joint replaced; since I've had it documented with doctor visit, mri, etc, it might help me in court (God forbid I end up there) since my ability to retreat has been clinically proven to be severely limited by my inability to run.

Me too but for a different reason lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I learned I can go back to my instructor within two years, take a two hr class on DC law, and be qualified for DC permit.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan

The Texas church shooting indicates the vast majority of people will not stand up straight and run around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom