What did you do at your reloading bench today?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    I sized/decapped 3K 357sig brass in my Lee APP. Converted the APP over to 223 and ran 2gal of nato brass through a universal die to get ready for the 300bo saw.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Taxes
    Ughhhh

After doing some spring cleaning in the garage , it was too windy to put the weed and feed down so I worked on catching up on cleaning brass. 223 , 9 and 45-70. Loaded 10 45-70 which was the last of my cast powder coated horse pills then prepped 50 45-70 cases.
    Saturday my son shot his AR so got him to fill up about 30 stripper clips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Loaded up 32 rounds of 32acp today. I really, really like that Lee classic turret press. I need to figure out what the issue with the 32acp priming on it is. A lot of the primers were really difficult to get seated and a few were left proud and had to put them back in and give them a really good hard shove to get them flush. A couple before charging I had to deprime, ream the pocket and them prime again and still tough to get the primer in (but easier). I haven't seen that issue with my hand primer with the brass (not that I can recall for 32acp at least) and it hasn't occurred with the classic turret with 38spc or 9 makarov. All loading was done with CCI SPP for all of those. Seemed to happen a bit more with Geco brass than any other brand, but I had a few GFI and at least one RP that also had difficulty getting the primer to seat. I guess it could be the shell holder doesn't play well with the priming system on the press (which could be why the hand primer worked fine). Like 50% were hard to get in, 25% normal, 25% were like it was getting hung up and would "pop" in after an abnormal amount of force. A couple primers are noticeably deformed (none alarmingly so, and yeah, I did end up wearing full eyes, ears and long sleeves with these as it was making me a bit nervous).

Trying a different bullet to see if my Cz50 will feed these better (with a bunch of dummies, it does seem to feed this mystery .311 TMJ a bit better than the Berry's .312 plated. I think it is a Speer TMJ, but friend got 1k from RMR a few years back and the bag is too smeared to see what it says other than .311 TMJ). Cz is having an issue with the Berry's where the first round or two out of the mag hangs on the feed ramp as the round nose dives. Commercial ammo seems to run better and I've maybe only had it hang up 2-3 rounds out of the 300-400 I've put through it. JHP it does it with most, though XTP feeds a little better.

I also have Wolff mag springs on the way. I may have replaced one of the magazine springs early on as I have a baggie that is opened from Wolff for a Cz50 spring. But not sure which. And the springs aren't expensive, so might as well just go and replace them all. Hopefully it helps with the round nose diving, but it is definitely a bullet shape/COAL related issue too making it worse.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Loaded up 32 rounds of 32acp today. I really, really like that Lee classic turret press. I need to figure out what the issue with the 32acp priming on it is. A lot of the primers were really difficult to get seated and a few were left proud and had to put them back in and give them a really good hard shove to get them flush. A couple before charging I had to deprime, ream the pocket and them prime again and still tough to get the primer in (but easier). I haven't seen that issue with my hand primer with the brass (not that I can recall for 32acp at least) and it hasn't occurred with the classic turret with 38spc or 9 makarov. All loading was done with CCI SPP for all of those. Seemed to happen a bit more with Geco brass than any other brand, but I had a few GFI and at least one RP that also had difficulty getting the primer to seat. I guess it could be the shell holder doesn't play well with the priming system on the press (which could be why the hand primer worked fine). Like 50% were hard to get in, 25% normal, 25% were like it was getting hung up and would "pop" in after an abnormal amount of force. A couple primers are noticeably deformed (none alarmingly so, and yeah, I did end up wearing full eyes, ears and long sleeves with these as it was making me a bit nervous).

Trying a different bullet to see if my Cz50 will feed these better (with a bunch of dummies, it does seem to feed this mystery .311 TMJ a bit better than the Berry's .312 plated. I think it is a Speer TMJ, but friend got 1k from RMR a few years back and the bag is too smeared to see what it says other than .311 TMJ). Cz is having an issue with the Berry's where the first round or two out of the mag hangs on the feed ramp as the round nose dives. Commercial ammo seems to run better and I've maybe only had it hang up 2-3 rounds out of the 300-400 I've put through it. JHP it does it with most, though XTP feeds a little better.

I also have Wolff mag springs on the way. I may have replaced one of the magazine springs early on as I have a baggie that is opened from Wolff for a Cz50 spring. But not sure which. And the springs aren't expensive, so might as well just go and replace them all. Hopefully it helps with the round nose diving, but it is definitely a bullet shape/COAL related issue too making it worse.

Could you have possibly had the large primer holder in the press? I’ve done this before and the primers will seat but they were just a bit off from center with the difference in the large and small primer holder.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Could you have possibly had the large primer holder in the press? I’ve done this before and the primers will seat but they were just a bit off from center with the difference in the large and small primer holder.

That's....no...I couldn't be doing that *runs to check*

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    welp. Yup. There's my problem. *head shake*

Pretty sure I've how the large primer holder in the press the entire time as I don't remember swapping it since I set it up and all I've loaded on it so far is 38spc, 9x18, 7.62x25 and now 32acp. Nothing that takes a large primer...

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    welp. Yup. There's my problem. *head shake*

Pretty sure I've how the large primer holder in the press the entire time as I don't remember swapping it since I set it up and all I've loaded on it so far is 38spc, 9x18, 7.62x25 and now 32acp. Nothing that takes a large primer...

I do it a lot with my classic turret press, I still catch myself double checking. :thumbsup:

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    this morning i loaded up some test loads in .2 grain increments for my pcc with e3 powder and titegroup. shot them around lunchtime. picked the best one, 135 power factor which is a little high for uspsa min of 125, but should still make pf in my sbr pcc plus a little extra oomph on steel never hurts. then loaded about 250 or so rounds this afternoon and will load more the next couple days. i also chrono'd factory fed 115g for comparison and that gave me 140pf.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Loaded up 200 rounds of 45 ACP. 5.3 grains of Unique under a 230gr coated bullet, max OAL for mag length. Took about an hour and a half, starting with wet-tumbled brass. This completes my initial load-up of 700 of these for my "shooting buffer". It was mildly tolerable on a Lee Classic Turret with the reverse ejector, but I really can't wait to transition over to the Dillon 650 for this.

IronDuck

MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2021
    Frederick ish MD
    update

Memory and eyesight both add to my exciting home building project challenges!
    Step one best location for the bench, Done
    Step two
    Add brighter ceiling bulbs and two directional lamps... now were did I put the new bulbs... that was an actual part of the build yesterday.
    When done I will post photos

Bench build still going. First idea DOTA, "dead on test assembly" thought I would start with a table I already have, reinforce it a little, then begin building in/on my reload specific ideas. After a little work, and a couple of test pushes, I figure out the table needed far to many enhancements and structural upgrades, to provide a stable press platform. Good table to keep near by for staging build materials on.
    Go for start two:
    I pulled an old wood, "I think planting or potting type bench", after a bunch of sanding, chipping, wire brushing, hammering and just cutting parts off, I brought it to the newly named "reloading room" its about 60"w x 20"d x maybe 36" high. Top was chopped and dented, left legs were rotted and the front cracked, double drawer runners hand long ago seized and rusted away, the drawers bottoms rotted completely through. Perfect!
    Another month or so and I will be reloading at my reloading bench!

Please don't judge too harshly, trying to complete majority of the build with parts and pieces found around the homestead.

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    Bench build still going. First idea DOTA, "dead on test assembly" thought I would start with a table I already have, reinforce it a little, then begin building in/on my reload specific ideas. After a little work, and a couple of test pushes, I figure out the table needed far to many enhancements and structural upgrades, to provide a stable press platform. Good table to keep near by for staging build materials on.
    Go for start two:
    I pulled an old wood, "I think planting or potting type bench", after a bunch of sanding, chipping, wire brushing, hammering and just cutting parts off, I brought it to the newly named "reloading room" its about 60"w x 20"d x maybe 36" high. Top was chopped and dented, left legs were rotted and the front cracked, double drawer runners hand long ago seized and rusted away, the drawers bottoms rotted completely through. Perfect!
    Another month or so and I will be reloading at my reloading bench!

Please don't judge too harshly, trying to complete majority of the build with parts and pieces found around the homestead.

I am in new Windsor area. If you have some wood needs let me know. I can probably scrounge up some would for you.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I decapped and cut the crimp out of several hundred more once-fired military 9mm. I'm still trying to decide on whether or not cutting the primer crimp out is the right thing to do. I've got a drill set up in a vise with a typical countersink chucked into it. I can run through a whole bunch real fast - it doesn't take much - just a touch for a very very brief moment cuts out the crimp and puts a little chamfer around the primer hole, and as I said, it's very fast.

I don't know if it's worth investing in the Dillon Super Swage or not, but again, I bought the CHD4 primer pocket swager, and either I'm not using it correctly, or it's not really doing as good of a job of getting rid of that crimp as I'd like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom