What are you doing with your Spikes lower?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    You need a buffer tube, a rifle buffer, a rifle spring, and a stock. Also don't forget the screws. If it's an A2 then you need a spacer thats fits between the tube and the end of the stock. A1's are shorter and do not need the spacer.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    You need a buffer tube, a rifle buffer, a rifle spring, and a stock. Also don't forget the screws. If it's an A2 then you need a spacer thats fits between the tube and the end of the stock. A1's are shorter and do not need the spacer.

Thanks Russ. I watched a Brownell's video on butt stock installation and I think I get it. For a fixed stock setup, no need for the collar and lock nut...right?

4MDGunRights

Gun Totin' Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    Morris Co, New Jersistan
    Funny that this post just appeared; I just got around to building my April group buy Spikes lower. It was my first lower build and after doing it once, it sure is a lot easier than I thought it would be. I used a RRA lower build kit with a match 2-stage trigger and a black A2 stock. It came out great with no scratches, although I did chase the detents and springs around the room a bit.
    I used the Brownell's Online AR build videos for assistance. The lower build is broken down into 7 steps with a short video for each step. It made the build really easy. http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11011/GunTechdetail/Assembling_Lower_Receiver___Section_7
    Since I have to move to (yak) New Jersey temporarily for my job, I think I'll put a RRA NM A2 post-ban upper on it so it can come with me. $605 shipped from AR15sales.com can't be beat.

Last edited:

CorpsmanUp

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 19, 2010
    St Mary's County
    Nice! Which one are you getting? I have the 20" SPR upper.

Jim

Going with the 16" Recon. Read some good things about Bison. Well respected within the 6.8 community. Plus, I went to college where they're based :).

This will give me an excuse to start reloading. I also like the fact that there's a good supply of commercial stuff out there.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Has anybody used the Shotgun News(several advertisers) complete less reciever kits? Or should I build the lower and buy top end separately? I kind of like the "Dissapator" upper in SN (HBAR with full length quad forend with collapsible stock.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Going with the 16" Recon. Read some good things about Bison. Well respected within the 6.8 community. Plus, I went to college where they're based :).

This will give me an excuse to start reloading. I also like the fact that there's a good supply of commercial stuff out there.

Yeah, Ben does a great job building them. I got the SPR last year since I wanted one and he had the 20" versions already built when I ordered. That should be a shooter, and very accurate. And ping me if need help with reloading for the 6.8.

Jim

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    Has anybody used the Shotgun News(several advertisers) complete less reciever kits? Or should I build the lower and buy top end separately? I kind of like the "Dissapator" upper in SN (HBAR with full length quad forend with collapsible stock.

My BIL is gonna go with a kit from M & A Parts. Anyone have any experience with them?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Got some gumption today, and started with this:

DSCF1495 (Medium).JPG

Wound up with complete lowers:

DSCF1496 (Medium).JPG

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I did it! It really wasn't difficult either. It once was parts and now it's a plain Jane vanilla A2 type which is what I wanted for my first build. One could get addicted to building AR's, but I'm not telling anyone something they don't already know...:innocent0

Here she is:

Attachments

• AR-15 Dsc03409 Completed.jpg
      AR-15 Dsc03409 Completed.jpg
      41 KB · Views: 171

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    I did it! It really wasn't difficult either. It once was parts and now it's a plain Jane vanilla A2 type which is what I wanted for my first build. One could get addicted to building AR's, but I'm not telling anyone something they don't already know...:innocent0

Here she is:

Looks good :party29:

LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    I'm considering a somewhat inaccurate M16A1 clone. The lower will be of the "improper" type, but perhaps everything else can be reasonably cloned...

mtnbiker87

Aug 12, 2010
    Looks good :party29:

Congrats on your first one! looks good :thumbsup: Not sure what i'm doing with mine yet. The first one will probably just be and A2 with a m4 profile barrel. The other lower will just sit in my safe for a snowy day project. (if we get multiple blizzards again :D)

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I'm thinking simple SHTF carbine.

DD m4 barrel
    DD BCG
    MOE furniture
    Aimpoint
    BCM gunfighter charging handle
    Troy folding rear sight.

Just picked up a Noveske N4 upper instead of building my own. Now I just need to go fill out my paperwork and build the lower to match it. It does have the Troy folding rear sight and I've got the BCM gunfighter CH for it. MOE handguards are on the way.

RT468

Feb 19, 2009
    Catonsville Md
    Didn't get in on the last group buy.Still have the lower from the previous one that I haven't gotten around to building yet.Picked up the lower,DPMS LPK and some other Magpul parts but have yet to build it.Couldn't decide at first what upper configuration or caliber to run,was leaning towards the 6.8 in 16-20" length.Decided now just to abort the project in it's entirety.Figure I'll be doing paperwork to transfer the lower to a buddy relatively soon since he wants to build another Ar.Try as I might I just can't get into the Ar platform.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom