• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    :) Darn 1:9 twist is what is making him hold back...

I always chuckle when some of you guys get hung up on twists......big deal.....I will say I generally shoot 55 or 62 grain, but i dont consider myself a Camp Perry shooter, so I really dont care about twists in an AR. If its accurate, reliable, and I can always depend on it, an MOA or too is pretty much a non issue to me.....to me an AR is a defensive, and sometimes fun and plinking gun......if Im worried about paper punching dime sized holes consistently I'll probably grab a bolt gun....just my 2 cents fellas.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    The original 1:14" barrel twist was considered to be nearly "instant death" on the battlefield from early reports from Vietnam. It wasn't as pinpoint accurate and the USAF insisted on a tighter twist because the 1:14" twist created excessive group sizes in zero and sub-zero temperatures and they wanted a rifle that could be taken to any climate, anytime...not an unreasonable argument. The Army then had the twist changed to 1:12" which some said reduced the rounds lethality by something like 40%. When the 5.56 was made NATO standard the twist was changed to a tighter twist to better stabilize the new standard 62 grain bullet and the tracer round.

All this about barrel twist doesn't really matter for the most part unless you're a match shooter and have the talent and capability of shooting the rifle to its maximum capability.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    :) Darn 1:9 twist is what is making him hold back...
    The LE6920 HBPW has a 14.5" SOCOM heavy barrel (with a pinned and welded flash hider to extend the barrel to 16.1") that has a 1:7 twist. If you read about this SOCOM barrel on AR15.com, it has an excellent reputation for accuracy.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Brands that are worthwhile: Colt, FN, BCM, DD, KAC, SOLGW, maybe Windham. Concur with the crowd that if you actually shoot the rifle a lot, ammo costs will outweigh the cost of the rifle itself by quite a lot. Even a pessimistic assumption of 10k rounds is $2000-$3500 of ammo, depending on what you're shooting, and chances are you could get it back into shape with just a barrel, bolt, and spring swap.

jrhzn

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 17, 2017
    The LE6920 HBPW has a 14.5" SOCOM heavy barrel (with a pinned and welded flash hider to extend the barrel to 16.1") that has a 1:7 twist. If you read about this SOCOM barrel on AR15.com, it has an excellent reputation for accuracy.

I watched several YouTube videos on it, most are hitting man sized targets at 400 yard. More then I'll ever need :)

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    I knew this thread would get good :)

I wont make a suggestion, but ill say, for what the mentioned colts cost, you sure don't get much more than a basic ar-15 for all that extra money and colt name...

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Colt may have updated since I quit paying attention but they were using a gas system designed for a 14.5” barrel on a 16” barrel and the hbar is 1/9. The twist doesn’t make that much difference but if spending a grand, buy one that will shoot anything well.

My choice would be to wait for a deal on the LWRC Di. Aside from shooting as well as my JP 3gun rifle, I love that everything is ambidextrous. You can lock the bolt back and close the bolt without breaking the firing grip on the rifle.

Our issue gun is a 14.5 Colt. I chose to carry my own gun, the LWRC.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Avoid SIG, POF, and RRA. Anything Gas Piston AR sucks.

Windham and Colt are good. Colt is better and will hold value better. No, it's not just a names because gauges prove that out.

FN has been missing the mark lately with their civilian AR's.

I knew this thread would get good :)

I wont make a suggestion, but ill say, for what the mentioned colts cost, you sure don't get much more than a basic ar-15 for all that extra money and colt name...

The thousands of dollars of gauges I use say otherwise. Colts rarely fail any gauge. Can't say that for other brands.

Is Colt the best AR one can own? Nope, but it's one of the few you can buy and trust out of the box.

I would trust the Colt over any other brand mentioned in this thread if I didn't have gauges, all day, any day.

jrhzn

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 17, 2017
    He could buy/build 2 for close to $1000, if he didn't need to go for a higher grade/name brand.

He is not hung up on a name, he just want a quality rifle that goes bang. It is his first one and he read that 1:7 is the way to go his mind is set on that. I recommended a brand new Wyndham Weaponry whish is on sale at Sportsman Warehouse for $619 with free shipping (a bushmaster for $619, think about that for a sec) but it is 1:9. I shoot green tipped 62grain and don't have an issue either way.

jrhzn

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 17, 2017
    Avoid SIG, POF, and RRA. Anything Gas Piston AR sucks.

Windham and Colt are good. Colt is better and will hold value better. No, it's not just a names because gauges prove that out.

FN has been missing the mark lately with their civilian AR's.

My 10.5 inch Piston Driven Adcor Elite has never let me down... not once.

Try this in a DI gun......

https://youtu.be/7Id_soYaAm8

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    As an oldMan, Colt all the way. Yes, there are more expensive AR's out there, but I would always take the Colt. As previously stated, I trust Colt out of the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom