• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brysize

Oct 17, 2011
    Howard Co., MD
    I have a Colt 1911 Government model(.45 ACP) with no mods, Walther PPK(.380 Auto) and S&W 38 Spl. Government model 10 revelover. I want purchased ammo in bulk. It doesn't have to be in boxes. This ammo is for range only shooting. I would like to get it bags/lots of 50-100-300-500.

Is Tulu or steel case ammo ok for those guns? Is there any risks for steel casings? Is there a good ammo for range shooting that is economical? Thank you in advance.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    With the 1911 the old Colts if its not throated and polished stick with FMJs , the dont like hollow points at all. My PPK has eaten any 380 Ive put in it but YMMV . I personaly would stay away from steel cased in the Colt .

Oh and welcome to the forum from Edgemere

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Some guns will like one brand and not another. Don't go out and buy 500 rounds until you know if your gun will like it.

Check a site like AIM Surplus, they have some decent prices on ammo.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Palmettostatearmory.com is my favorite ammo site, but they don't always have the best deal in every caliber (they do in 5.56 and 9mm though :D ) so you have to look around.

IDK anything about 1911's but I ain't skurred to put steel cased through any gun, but thats just me. Don't depend on steel cased for reliability though...

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    try Hornady Critical Defense in your old Colt 1911, if it's not throated. I bet it will work. Better than shooting ball, by a long-shot.

If it is throated, go Federal HST (or Hydrashok, if you can't find HST for a decent price).

In the .380, get the Federal Hydrashok. It is about the only .380 hollowpoint load I've seen penetrate to 12" after it opens.

For the S&W .38 Special, fire Speer Gold dot .38 +p's, or Corbon DPX.

Stay away from Winchester Ranger and Ranger-T, as I have seen it fail several tests consistently on Youtube as of late. Yeah, back yard testing stuff, but when competitors pass the same tests, you have to wonder.

mrbule

Jan 12, 2010
    I would say get absolutely any .38 special, absolutely any .380, and any fmj for the 1911...
    if its strictly for range work get whatever is cheapest....
    ive never had any problems with anything steel cased, at least not yet, and if you are looking at bulk for range work, and dont plan to reload, it doesnt matter...
    just make sure your range allows steel cased, and tula should be no problem.a little dirty, but ive never had a problem with it.

bx1129

Aug 22, 2011
    Basically, if you are using steel case, your gun will get dirtier. But it shouldn't matter because you will clean your weapon anyway right? What it comes down to is cost, I can buy 50 rounds of .45 ACP TULA for 12.63 on cheaper than dirt and anything else in brass runs at least in the 15.xx. So i save about 3 bucks a box. If a shoot a case of .45 ACP, I save 60 bucks shooting steel versus brass. I shoot about 1000 rounds per class I take and I take about 5 classes a year. This is in addition to other rounds I shoot. So if you shoot a lot, the steel cases make an economical choice because the cost add up quickly. I shoot a Wilson Combat CQB. I would caution that some indoor ranges don't allow you to use steel case.

The myth about steel cases messing up barrels and stuff is a joke. The steel case doesn't expand like a brass case, so more gas escape from the case=dirtier. The other myth is steel case damaging extractors. Steel cases are actually soft, so it's another none event. And having steel cases got nothing to do with your barrel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom