• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    I talked to chuck Adams at the Harrisburg show a couple of years ago and he said that 50 pounds is all you need. He told me that a way to find you weight is to hold your bow on a target and pull the string back with the bow still aiming at that point. If you can do that your fine but when you got move your arm that's holding the bow then that's to much.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If you go for a shot behind the shoulder instead of through the shoulder, typically a fixed broadhead will go straight through the ribs/lungs and out the other side. They wont go far with a double lung shot.

I would only add to that; aim at the lower 1/3 of the deer's chest. The deer will react to the sound of the shot and he will drop a bit in order to flee(loading his legs). That should keep you in the double lung area.:thumbsup:

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I would only add to that; aim at the lower 1/3 of the deer's chest. The deer will react to the sound of the shot and he will drop a bit in order to flee(loading his legs). That should keep you in the double lung area.:thumbsup:
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    I was thinking the same thing when I typed that! Lots of folks say they are "jumping" the arrow or what not...its basically they are tensing up to get the H out of dodge...so to speak.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    Be happy you're shooting a compound. Imagine having to pull that draw weight all the way back and then hold it while aiming, like you'd need to do with a non-compound bow.

When I was a 135 pound teenager I used a 35 pound draw weight Bear recurve bow to hunt in Georgia. Some do-gooders decided the minimum draw weight should be 50 pounds because otherwise there would be wounded animals running around with arrows sticking out of them. The law went into effect and I stopped bow hunting. To this day I don't understand how a bad shot with 50 pound draw weight bow wounds fewer deer than a bad shot with a 35 pound draw weight bow.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    When I was a 135 pound teenager I used a 35 pound draw weight Bear recurve bow to hunt in Georgia. Some do-gooders decided the minimum draw weight should be 50 pounds because otherwise there would be wounded animals running around with arrows sticking out of them. The law went into effect and I stopped bow hunting. To this day I don't understand how a bad shot with 50 pound draw weight bow wounds fewer deer than a bad shot with a 35 pound draw weight bow.

a bad shot is a bad shot...but to the anti-hunter/peta person its infringing on the animals rights:sad20: No hunter likes to get a bad shot on an animal but it happens. Its really not any crueler than being eaten alive...like they show on NATGEO...lol but since the anti's can blame someone they take it out on the hunter.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Be happy you're shooting a compound. Imagine having to pull that draw weight all the way back and then hold it while aiming, like you'd need to do with a non-compound bow.

You mean like the 90# at 28" longbow I used to shoot? Never did measure the draw weight at my draw length of 33-1/2". Can't to that anymore with my shoulder and disc issues.

GizUSN

Mar 29, 2013
    St Marys County
    Bought my first bow a few years back and jumped quickly up to 70#. Plenty of arm to draw it. Shoot at that weight for several months and wrecked my shoulder. Your muscles handling the weight is no guarantee that your joints will. Took some time off, dropped to 53#, and have been there since. If I do my job right (placement), then I find my arrow in the dirt after the pass thru. No plans on stepping up in weight. Shoot what you can handle in all regards.

VNVGUNNER

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    Hebron, Md.
    With the speed and KE these new bows have I went from 70# at 31" down to 55# at 31" and still get great pass throughs.

Use a pro shop, it will save you $ in the long run.
    Shoot a bunch of bows before you buy.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    In draw weight anyway.

So, when I bought my new Mission compound last weekend the guy at the shop set it up for a 40 pound draw weight since I'm new to archery. He figured that would be a good place for me to start building up my archery muscles. No problem.

But when I was shooting it last weekend I was thinking it was a little too easy to pull 40. So I figured I'd crank it up to 50 today to see how that felt. It was harder, but still not difficult. So, I figured I'd see what 60 felt like.

So I crank it up, nock an arrow and draw...nope. OK, that was harder than expected, but now I'm ready for it. Draw...nope. D@MN! that is freakin impossible.

So, I cranked it back down to about 53 and draw that with a little effort, but not too much. I think I'll stay there for a while. :D

53 pounds is s good weight to learn with...

It's better to have something you can hold & make good consistent shots with...

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Regardless of poundage, I cannot stress enough the importance of SHARP broadheads and good arrow flight (proper spine). The combination will help achieve maximum penetration. I hunt with traditional bows in the 40-50# range, and I get pass-throughs with sharp, cut on contact, 2-bladed broadheads.

camobob

Feb 18, 2013
    I used to use a 70lb pull. With today's bows I get better performance out of a lighter pull. Biggest advantage for me is drawing the bow after being motionless for hours. 70lbs is a LOT easier in the back yard on warm day! 55-60lbs is a smooth easy pull for me which lets me focus on form an target instead of muscling the bow. As others have said - accuracy matters, more is not always better.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    That could be target fixation. They're staring at the rack and forget to lower their pin to the vitals.

Id never take a head shot on a deer with a bow...eventhough at 20yds I could prob hit its brain, with my adrenaline going I think I would only miss or injure the deer...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom