• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tapeman1

Ultimate Member
    Aug 31, 2012
    Severna Park, MD
    In draw weight anyway.

So, when I bought my new Mission compound last weekend the guy at the shop set it up for a 40 pound draw weight since I'm new to archery. He figured that would be a good place for me to start building up my archery muscles. No problem.

But when I was shooting it last weekend I was thinking it was a little too easy to pull 40. So I figured I'd crank it up to 50 today to see how that felt. It was harder, but still not difficult. So, I figured I'd see what 60 felt like.

So I crank it up, nock an arrow and draw...nope. OK, that was harder than expected, but now I'm ready for it. Draw...nope. D@MN! that is freakin impossible.

So, I cranked it back down to about 53 and draw that with a little effort, but not too much. I think I'll stay there for a while. :D

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    It takes a while to build up the muscles that are used to draw a bow and with time, it will get easier. We always start new archers out at a lower dw and then have them crank it up after a couple weeks of shooting. A turn on the limb bolts, shoot for a couple more weeks and if you think you can handle more, give it another full turn (about 3lbs/turn on average).

I shot a 70lb bow for over 30 years, but now, 60 is plenty... LOL

Take your time, practice as much as you can and you will find it much easier over time... ;) The worst thing you can do is overbow yourself... remember if you are hunting, that you have to be able to draw smoothly, quietly and with as little movement as possible (can't sky the bow, really need to be able to draw it straight back and settle into shooting position as smoothly as possible) and on a cold, freezing morning, that is a lot tougher than one would think..

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I bought my first bow in August (a Hoyt Charger). I had it set up at 50lbs. I practiced with it every single day for 2 months to get ready for hunting season. By the time hunting season started, I was up to a 63lb draw. It definitely takes time but the more you practice with it, the easier it will get.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    50 lbs is a good draw weight to use pretty much any mechanical broadhead.

That is something to keep in mind, if you hunt 30 lbs and over, but less than 50 lbs, used fixed broadheads.

tapeman1

Ultimate Member
    Aug 31, 2012
    Severna Park, MD
    Take your time, practice as much as you can and you will find it much easier over time... ;) The worst thing you can do is overbow yourself... remember if you are hunting, that you have to be able to draw smoothly, quietly and with as little movement as possible (can't sky the bow, really need to be able to draw it straight back and settle into shooting position as smoothly as possible) and on a cold, freezing morning, that is a lot tougher than one would think..

Interesting. That's pretty much why I settled at 53ish. That was the point where I could draw it with effort, but I didn't have to twist around or move my body out of line.

tapeman1

Ultimate Member
    Aug 31, 2012
    Severna Park, MD
    50 lbs is a good draw weight to use pretty much any mechanical broadhead.

That is something to keep in mind, if you hunt 30 lbs and over, but less than 50 lbs, used fixed broadheads.

I didn't know that. Thanks.

My goal for hunting is to pull a weight that will guarantee me pass throughs on well place shots.

Scottysan

Ultimate Member
    May 19, 2008
    Maryland
    +1
    Yup, same thing applies when I have not shot for more than a couple months.
    You have to snap in, as we called it with rifles, which involves toning muscles, joint stabilization(just like lifting weights), and getting your mind right.

I've found that the workout resistance bands can simulate the position and pressure, so you can work out on days when you're not on the range, which shortens snapping in.

Shinny

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    I'm glad you're enjoying it. I have mine set at 60lbs and love it, but I only hunt bag targets and range walls. Keep practicing and before you know it, your bow will multiply and your wallet will again shrink. :D

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I used to shoot a 80-90 lb Martin Black Ram. Eventually it got to the point where I couldn't draw it back on those cold, long days so I gave it up for more mature user friendly bows. Now I've got my Mathews cranked down to about 45-50lbs. (torn rotator cuff surgery in four weeks) til some time next year. Hopefully i'll be able to shoot it again.

new_shooter

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2010
    Be happy you're shooting a compound. Imagine having to pull that draw weight all the way back and then hold it while aiming, like you'd need to do with a non-compound bow.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Interesting. That's pretty much why I settled at 53ish. That was the point where I could draw it with effort, but I didn't have to twist around or move my body out of line.

A good rule of thumb for max draw weight for a person is easy to figure out. Sit in a chair an draw your bow. If you have trouble, crank it down until you don't have to go through all sorts of gyrations to get it back. Some guys will make you lift your feet off the floor, then draw your bow but that's a bit extreme.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I used to shoot a 80-90 lb Martin Black Ram. Eventually it got to the point where I couldn't draw it back on those cold, long days so I gave it up for more mature user friendly bows. Now I've got my Mathews cranked down to about 45-50lbs. (torn rotator cuff surgery in four weeks) til some time next year. Hopefully i'll be able to shoot it again.

For anything most people would likely hunt (unless it's moose, pigs, or bears), 50 lbs is plenty, even for pass-through on a whitetail, unless you hit shoulder.

Obligatory bow hunting pic from a few weeks ago (turkey):

IMG_20141018_102717_zpspirdf4eh.jpg

IMG_20141018_132009_zpsdmt99bbv.jpg

tapeman1

Ultimate Member
    Aug 31, 2012
    Severna Park, MD
    For anything most people would likely hunt (unless it's moose, pigs, or bears), 50 lbs is plenty, even for pass-through on a whitetail, unless you hit shoulder.

So I should be good hunting whitetail with 60 pounds...eventually? I'm very concerned with being as humane as possible.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    So I should be good hunting whitetail with 60 pounds...eventually? I'm very concerned with being as humane as possible.

Much like firearms, shot placement is more important than power. 60 lbs should be more than enough for an ethical shot within a reasonable distance, if placed correctly on a whitetail deer. If you gut-shoot the deer, whether with 50, 60, or 90 lbs, you're going to be tracking him for quite some time and he will suffer. I would stick with fixed broadheads. I like G5 strikers (100gr); on my setup, they fly like field points out to ~35-40 yards (probably beyond that too, but that's my self-imposed limit.)

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Much like firearms, shot placement is more important than power. 60 lbs should be more than enough for an ethical shot within a reasonable distance, if placed correctly on a whitetail deer. If you gut-shoot the deer, whether with 50, 60, or 90 lbs, you're going to be tracking him for quite some time and he will suffer. I would stick with fixed broadheads. I like G5 ; on my setup, they fly like field points out to ~40 yards.

If you go for a shot behind the shoulder instead of through the shoulder, typically a fixed broadhead will go straight through the ribs/lungs and out the other side. They wont go far with a double lung shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom