What’s holding you back from taking your conceal carry course?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I personally think it is absolutely stupid for someone who has a carry license in some thirty-eight or so states currently with no background issues ever to have to jump thru Good old Maryland's hoops. I passed Legal Heats class years back, passed MD. State police test, got photo id, got printed by Sheriffs dept and background check All of this was good enough a host of states. But not MD. Now that their hand is being forced to issue they take the stance that i need to be shown which end of a barrel is the exit, how to load etc. i understand this for someone who has never handled a firearm but this is a train load of crap for some one who has handled guns since he was 9 years oud without issue and holds a current license in other states. Its all about control , inconvenience ,and money. Make it such a pain in the ass so most cant afford the time off or the money. Also someone please explain why i held one of the highest security clearances thru the Federal govt. with prints on file there. Maryland Sheriffs Dept. has prints on file. State police has prints on file. BUT none are acceptable. Are they afraid i switched with my wife? Sorry for the book i just wrote but i am tired of the crap!
    Basically that 16jr W&C Class is of dubious purpose or utility , just a PIA , likewise much of the rest of W&C process . ( I made almost half of the run on paragraph , but the theme was clear )

And the answer is , it was passed in 2013 specifically to be an expemsive discouragement , to reduce the number of people having W&C
    .Aka Poll Tax .

sasquatch58

Mar 20, 2014
    Liability, the scenario of shooting someone, awkward to carry a gun concealed.
    I prefer to avoid places where I may need to carry a gun but there are folks who need and deserve to carry and I'm thankful for them to have the right.
    Protecting yourself and others from harm is a good enough reason to carry.
    As far as being robbed, the amount of cash you carry and your phone or car is not worth the lawyer fees, being sued and prosecuted. You'll probably not get your gun back even if you shoot it in your own home.
    I think the new legislative session is going to bring new challenges, restrictions and requirements to the law. Maybe turn over your social media accounts, require insurance, mental health examine.
    Maryland's state's attorney will criminalize you for protecting yourself, charge you with murder and make the perp the victim.
    Your probably right.The J.D. is out to get guns from gun owners that their probably wait for the chance to take guns away from people protecting their families.It’s a screwed up Country that we are living in.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    That's an ad for outside vendors. Here are MDS's IP's who have paid to advertise here: https://www.mdshooters.com/categories/firearms-training.129/
    That has been posted several times, and several members have found classes close to home, and also being held soon

No Mod has had a problem with it

If they do they can certainly delete the post

I looked for IP training but found nothing before October

I'm now taking a class next week

RedRider48

Jun 11, 2020
    Severna Park, MD
    That begs the second question what do you think a fair price for a 16 hour course be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, the costs of courses seems to be "all over the map", so to speak. I've seen, a low of $150 to a high, thus far, of a non-refundable $500 (ouch).
    Then, one has to consider the "quality" aspect? That is, the validity of the training and the trainers experience and knowledge of MD CC Rules.

RedRider48

Jun 11, 2020
    Severna Park, MD
    IMHO it depends on what is being provided. If the only value is checking a box, then frankly $100-200 if you provide your own gun and ammo if the assumption is cram a bunch of people in a room for some power points given by Ben Stein voice double and at the end shoot your qual and get your sheet signed.

For a place with really good teachers, good hands on teaching (not just a bunch of lecturing and then run you through your qual), rental and ammo provided, fingerprints and application help all included with good facilities, very flexible hours and days on classes and relatively small class sizes to make instruction closer to one-on-one (at least small group), I can see $500+ or even +++.

My knock on the most expensive places charging that $500+ currently is most jacked their prices a bunch as soon as demand hit, without delivering any extra quality and while also increasing class sizes and the number of classes offered. So profits up massively, delivering the same product or potentially a worse product because of larger class sizes. And the feedback doesn’t sound like most are any better than the instructors (and many times worse) who aren’t taking on giant classes and are charging in the $200-400 range.

But my suggestion for anyone looking for a class is decide who to go with based on what you want to get out of it. Price isn’t necessarily differentiating quality (IE an expensive class doesn’t mean it is a good class, and a cheap class doesn’t mean it’s a bad class).

PS I’ve got no problem with someone making money. Even really good money. But it more than rubs me the wrong way people delivering poor service and charging a premium for it simply because “they can”. Those providing a great service and charging accordingly don’t bother me at all.
    My thoughts exactly.....perhaps, I'll wait for the dust to settle on this whole C/C training thing before I make the move. I have all of the parts now, just need the papers to make them in compliance.

safegunners

Aug 21, 2016
    Smithsburg MD
    IMHO it depends on what is being provided. If the only value is checking a box, then frankly $100-200 if you provide your own gun and ammo if the assumption is cram a bunch of people in a room for some power points given by Ben Stein voice double and at the end shoot your qual and get your sheet signed.

For a place with really good teachers, good hands on teaching (not just a bunch of lecturing and then run you through your qual), rental and ammo provided, fingerprints and application help all included with good facilities, very flexible hours and days on classes and relatively small class sizes to make instruction closer to one-on-one (at least small group), I can see $500+ or even +++.

My knock on the most expensive places charging that $500+ currently is most jacked their prices a bunch as soon as demand hit, without delivering any extra quality and while also increasing class sizes and the number of classes offered. So profits up massively, delivering the same product or potentially a worse product because of larger class sizes. And the feedback doesn’t sound like most are any better than the instructors (and many times worse) who aren’t taking on giant classes and are charging in the $200-400 range.

But my suggestion for anyone looking for a class is decide who to go with based on what you want to get out of it. Price isn’t necessarily differentiating quality (IE an expensive class doesn’t mean it is a good class, and a cheap class doesn’t mean it’s a bad class).

PS I’ve got no problem with someone making money. Even really good money. But it more than rubs me the wrong way people delivering poor service and charging a premium for it simply because “they can”. Those providing a great service and charging accordingly don’t bother me at all.

Good points

I recently dropped my pricing to $199 for the initial W&C, this is where I think the market will be when demand equalizes. I also believe this price is a more fair price especially with the process in maryland already being overburdened and costly.

Future plans are to keep the price at $199 and add other inclusive items.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom