• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    I tumble clean my brass prior to depriming, and this works for me since I have not had any issues with primer pockets gunked up such as to inhibit insertion of a new primer. I have just been reloading pistol brass to date (9mm/38spl/357mag/45acp), so perhaps gunked up primer pockets are more often encountered with 233 brass as jimbobborg alluded.

Since I have not had issues with the primer pocket, it makes sense to keep soot and grit away from my depriming/resizing die.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Eh, I've had to push primers out and clean the pocket a few times on 5.56 brass since the gunk inside prevented the primer from fully seating. Same with 9mm.

Hmm, I have never had this issue. Even after a number of reloadings of the same cases without cleaning.

Boneuphtoner

Feb 8, 2016
    MoCo
    I'm still fairly new to reloading, so take this for what its worth...I have a Dillon Square Deal B...its a progressive, and the first station is a resizing and depriming operation. With a set up like this, unless there was some serious issue with cleaning the brass with the old primers still in place, I can't imagine depriming before tumbling. Perhaps I'm missing something, but with a progressive, I don't see how that would be practical.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yes, it makes it harder.

I have different tool head setups for my Dillon 650.

If I am starting with once fired military brass (crimped primers), the first pass is Lee Univeral Decapping die to remove the primer, then sizing die to size. I tumble before with corn cob to remove grit, then after to remove lube.

After I swage the primer pockets, then the second pass through the 650 is no die in hole 1, and the normal powder die in #2, etc. So the case does nothing but ride up and down at Station 1, then get a primer and powder at Station 2. Bullet seated at station 4, crimp (if crimping) at station 5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom