• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LongTom

Jan 13, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    I went to the NRA indoor range today in VA.

This place is impressive. Two buildings connected by upper floors. everything was squeaky clean, and the people were really helpful. This is easily costs multiple millions to continue to run every year. I think the building had five floors, and it had a parking garage, breezeway, and brass drinking fountains.

The things I kept thinking while I was there were:

1. Why is all this money being spent on this stuff instead of fighting for our rights?
    2. ONE HOUR of range time cost my wife and me nearly $50. Where is all this money going?
    3. Why did the NAGR put up 75% of the funds necessary to defeat the Manchin-Toomey bill, when, obviously, the NRA has cash to spare, and the little groups are always broke? Why is the NRA not using their massive funds to beat the shit out of congressmen, instead of trying to compromise with them in secret meetings?
    4. Where was the NRA when we were trying to get "good and substantial reason" eliminated?

I mean, am I wrong to think this?

Someone set me straight and tell me I'm wrong.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    I go with my dad fairly often. It's $25 for the two of us sharing a lane.

I think people need to remember that the NRA represents the firearms industry first and foremost.

Recoil45

Jul 29, 2011
    NY
    The NRA has done more for you than any other gun rights group. They are not the enemy and posts like this only give gun owners reason not to join.

2. ONE HOUR of range time cost my wife and me nearly $50. Where is all this money going?

My bet would be running the range.

jmira

VA Rocks.
    Mar 25, 2009
    Alexandria, VA
    I was told once that the range is self sufficient in regards to funding.. so the ILA is separate and does not fund the range.

Antifeik

May 26, 2013
    I pass through there every day to go to work, can't wait to go once i get my nina :)

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I was there yesterday with the wifey and daughter. The national firearms museum is always treat.

Their collection is almost as good as mine........ Just kidding

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I went to the NRA indoor range today in VA.

The things I kept thinking while I was there were:

50 bucks? An hour of range time for members is 15 dollars. 3 targets would be another 2-3 bucks. I think a second non NRA person is 15 bucks .Did you buy ammo from them? They don't gouge on the ammo prices. Even if you bought ammo, how much did you buy? The first time $10 member fee is not unreasonable IMO. It's a one time thing anyway. Fairfax County is gonna be pricey compared to So MD. Just the economics of the area.

The range is self sifficient so member fees don't support it AFAIK.

50 bucks for 2 people shooting for an hour plus say 2 boxes of 9mm ammo and targets doesn't seem unreasonable

What do you think you should pay?. I'm guessing the NRA rents their building. If it's nice and clean and well kept, good for them. I don't see any issue with that. Who do you suggest should represent gun owners besides the NRA? GOA?

I'm a recent Life Member BTW.

rocksnsticks

Jan 20, 2013
    Westminster MD
    :lol: You forget the outrageously expensive liability insurance for the range, I'm sure the costs for the NRA are around the top of the list considering they also use the ranges for training.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    One of the things I like abou the range is a RO is ALWAYS present and watching for unsafe behavior. I've been to plenty of ranges with no RO. Won't go back again.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    I don't begrudge them a thing, and I hope there's a sign that says the brass drinking fountains were made from spent ammo.

Many big labor union HQ's in DC, just blocks away from the US Capitol, are lavishly furnished and decorated to impress visitors and show off their power and prestige to Congress and its staff when they visit.

I would only hope that the NRA conducts orientations of new members of Congress and their staff, including a tour of the range.

In fact, they ought to encourage a Congressional gun club that uses the NRA range. What better venue and opportunity to advocate 2A?.

101combatvet

BANNED!!!
    Dec 7, 2011
    Without the NRA we'd be slaves to a jackass in the White House. Enjoy it while it lasts. I'm a life member and gladly continue to send them money.

BTW.... you are the first person I've ever heard complain about the NRA that wasn't anti-gun.

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    Simple solution. Go to another range and divert your 2a donations to whatever group you prefer more. It'll make my wait shorter when i shoot there.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    You know, this organization exists to try to HELP US...and people endlessly nitpick and whine about it. What have those of you complaining done? NRA-ILA IS involved in fighting Maryland anti-gun hysteria. Keene himself lives in Maryland and has said you can bet this is going to the courts. Shannon Alford has been very active locally as any of you would know if you've been attending anything because she is THERE and working. Also, the NRA exists to promote the shooting sports, train, educate, sponsor events. The NRA-ILA is the legislative arm. IT brings lawsuits. That is the group you should be comparing to NAGR! What is more appropriate than for the NRA, given it's mission, to have a range at its headquarters for its members? If you're going to bitch and moan, at least bitch and moan about the correct organization. This is the kind of crap that causes us to lose! We're never going to get ahead if we spend our time belly-aching about our own pro gun groups. Yes, in case you can't tell, I'm sick of hearing all this crap!

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    ......and how often is NAGR in the news compared to the NRA? That should say something about who the politicians fear. Anything gun related from the libards and the NRA is the first villian out of their mouths. NAGR? I don't see them mentioned much at all compared to the groups that are bringing the majority of the law suits, MSI, SAF and NRA-ILA.

OK...off my soap box...this kind of thing just really ticks me off.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    To be honest, I hadn't even heard of NAGR until this thread got started. I looked at their web site and they're in Fredericksburg. How effective can an organization be as far as representing gun owners when they're not even close to the seat of Government, DC?

IMO I think your complaints are misplaced. I do agree that by choosing not to use the range, you make it easier for the rest of us to shoot there. I'm kinda proud my dollars go to create a showcase of what Americans cherish like the 2A. It should be a thing of beauty, like a shrine. Do people complain about fancy churches? It's not tax money supporting these institutions you know.

My .02

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Haters gonna hate. The NRA has THE BEST indoor range I have ever seen. You can shoot pistols, rifles, shotguns and even NFA firearms. You can draw from your holster. The electronic target carriers are state-of-the-art. There are ROs everywhere. Their ammo prices aren't ridiculous at all, and they have a good selection.

As has been said above, the first time you shoot it can get expensive because of the safety test fee, but IMO it keeps the dregs you find at places like MSAR out. Besides, if you are an NRA member you get a discount, and those that come as guests with you get a lower rate too.

If you think the NRA HQ is fancy, you obviously never made the trip to Annapolis. Talk about opulence... the state house and senate buildings are tiled in marble, portaits and paintings adorn the walls, silver and other valuables are on display... it's politics guy, any powerful organization needs to have nice facilities in order to be respected. I bet NAGR is in an old single story building or some crappy leased office with yellow walls and institutional furniture from the early nineties that would make a college dorm look like it was furnished by Havertys. Just saying.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB - GO PENS!

jmira

VA Rocks.
    Mar 25, 2009
    Alexandria, VA
    Im an annual range and life member... the RSOs keep the place safe, know I am safe and have fun playing with my toys when they want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom