Went to local MSP barracks for a transfer and..........

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mar 4, 2013
    I was doing a transfer from person to person and I engaged in some small talk with the duty officer.

He tells me after October 1, There will be no more transfers at any barracks Person to Person. He also stated that Md paperwork for handguns will be all electronic and not paper based anymore, he then states " I don't know how they will create such a system , let alone manage it and keep it running"

Im a little miffed that there wont be transfers at barracks anymore, which means you are at the mercy of your local ffl.

Shit is starting to get real folks.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Virginia isn't far away.

But in all seriousness that is effing b.s. Is there any way to verify this? I mean we all knew it was gonna be a c.f. once implemented... Can it really be that bad? I have been told so many ridiculous things by troopers at MSP barracks that I honestly don't trust them to give any correct information.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB (GO PENS! BEAT THE ISLES!!!)

Whitty Whit

Mar 20, 2013
    I heard from an FFL that FTFs would not be allowed after 1 OCT. He also said MD has no plan to deal with inheritances, gifts etc.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    I was doing a transfer from person to person and I engaged in some small talk with the duty officer.

He tells me after October 1, There will be no more transfers at any barracks Person to Person. He also stated that Md paperwork for handguns will be all electronic and not paper based anymore, he then states " I don't know how they will create such a system , let alone manage it and keep it running"

Im a little miffed that there wont be transfers at barracks anymore, which means you are at the mercy of your local ffl.

So if firearms applications are completed electronically... And the background checks are done on a computer... And purchasers have a Handgun License complete with fingerprints on file... After October 1 it should only take a few seconds for the MSP to process an application... Right? :innocent0

pilgrim

So if firearms applications are completed electronically... And the background checks are done on a computer... And purchasers have a Handgun License complete with fingerprints on file... After October 1 it should only take a few seconds for the MSP to process an application... Right? :innocent0

Seconds, sure. You will spend more time counting the money than the background check. Maryland will take care of us or choose.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland

Budget cuts. Just like the fingerprinting. The MSP bean counters did not want to spend the big bucks for the equipment or the time it ties up a trooper, so all the fingerprinting is done by authorized businesses like LiveScan.

If the MSP ever hope to handle what's to come after Oct 1st they will have to cut other services

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Budget cuts. Just like the fingerprinting. The MSP bean counters did not want to spend the big bucks for the equipment or the time it ties up a trooper, so all the fingerprinting is done by authorized businesses like LiveScan.

If the MSP ever hope to handle what's to come after Oct 1st they will have to cut other services

Like fighting crime??? :lol2:

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    Pardon my ignorance, but I thought law specifically said that transfers could be done at MSP? Time for someone (other than me) to dig up the law and look.

ZX672

Feb 21, 2010
    Olney
    I guess our tax dollars are going to be spent on the lowest bid IT firm to come in and make a database/application for MSP. This will take years with personal and hardware costs. Then they will have to train personal how to use the system, this will be low bid as well. Before you know it, your efficient state government is going to spend a couple million on a database/computer application. Next year they are going to create another tax to pay for it.....

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    I guess our tax dollars are going to be spent on the lowest bid IT firm to come in and make a database/application for MSP. This will take years with personal and hardware costs. Then they will have to train personal how to use the system, this will be low bid as well. Before you know it, your efficient state government is going to spend a couple million on a database/computer application. Next year they are going to create another tax to pay for it.....

Negative, not the lowest bidder but the one of some connected person's family member.:sad20:

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    MSP Registration Section head says barracks transfers will continue

I was doing a transfer from person to person and I engaged in some small talk with the duty officer. He tells me after October 1, There will be no more transfers at any barracks Person to Person. . . .Im a little miffed that there wont be transfers at barracks anymore, which means you are at the mercy of your local ffl. . . .

This morning I read your post. I sent an inquiry to Lieutenant Jerry Beason, who heads the Firearms Registration Section of the Licensing Division, Maryland State Police. I asked him if the information that you were given by the trooper was accurate. Lt. Beason responded (and he said that I could quote him) that after October 1, "The local barracks will continue to conduct secondary transfers."

D. Dean Johnson

jaycee2004

Apr 17, 2009
    Cambridge
    So if firearms applications are completed electronically... And the background checks are done on a computer...

When I purchased my 700 Rem at Bass Pro, the 4473 form was done on a laptop. He brought the computer out and I was like WTF? I had never done it like that before. He told me it was more fool proof and that they couldn't be blamed for bad applications

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    This morning I read your post. I sent an inquiry to Lieutenant Jerry Beason, who heads the Firearms Registration Section of the Licensing Division, Maryland State Police. I asked him if the information that you were given by the trooper was accurate. Lt. Beason responded (and he said that I could quote him) that after October 1, "The local barracks will continue to conduct secondary transfers."

D. Dean Johnson
    Great job there DD! Good to hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom