• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AvidRider

Dec 3, 2010
    The politicians here in MD should all support CCW for Self Defense. Think about the revenue that would be generated from the influx of applications. What better time than now, with the financial strain the state is currently feeling.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Exactly. This is low-hanging fruit, relatively speaking. All of this talk about second-terms and building goodwill in the GA is BS - you can do both. I think many of the posters here have Battered Gun Owner's Syndrome. This is a Right, not a transportation project.

:thumbsup:

Mr H

Banana'd
    Wow...

How far afield is this going to go???

We can talk all we want, but--even though the media will jump on the things we say--in the end, our chatter here will have little to no influence on what Pols will do.

Get into the General Assembly. Support and oppose as you see fit. Be the tip of the spear. Work to support the Right for more than just 4 years.

Or, blather away and give the media more fodder.

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    Assume self defense became recognized as a G&S reason and many of us acquired permits....wouldn't we just get dumped during the renewal (ostensibly under a Frosh or similar governorship)?

Are renewals automatic (with fee and no disqualification) or subject to re-examination of G&S threshold?

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    This is not the only thing on his agenda. Pension reform. Charter schools. Tax cuts. Purple and red line. Fracking. Heroin. Pot. Not guaranteed we are out of the woods with budget issues either.

Done the wrong way, you piss people off and lose political capital and can't get other stuff done. Done the right way, it's a horse trade.

Dan, we have never met but I truly appreciate all of your hard work at MSI, and I do hear what you are saying, but with all due respect I dont think Hogan (and I like him) has much political capital to expend. As someone posted above, grab all the low hanging fruit you can while you have a chance. Add that to whatever else you can accomplish over the next four years and the voters just may recognize Hogan is the type of guy that deserves 4 more years. Go big and fail given the entrenched opposition, and miss the low hanging fruit, and he may be veiewed as totally ineffective. I am not betting against him, I want him to succeed, seriously.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    MD doesn't recognize any other state's permits. Why should they care about training you took to get an out of state permit?

Now perhaps they'll recognize an NRA approved course but the Dems in their arrogance don't really care what the rest of the country has mostly accepted.

First, Maryland already "technically" accepts other states permits for armored car drivers.

Second, It's a mistake to look at liberal gun laws as being logical, unless you view their objective as barriers. Then their policies are completely logical.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Going to Annapolis and supporting bills is important, totally agree we should be doing all we can do but at the same time I expect Hogan to do all he can do as well.

I read the "Twenty Minutes with Hogan" and the AGC thread and if that is true, and I don't doubt anyone, then Hogan needs to step up and do what he promised or in my mind it would be the worst kind of campaign promise broken.

And not solely because it's a 2A issue, I would feel that way about any issue that is that easy to correct and then have nothing done about it.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Assume self defense became recognized as a G&S reason and many of us acquired permits....wouldn't we just get dumped during the renewal (ostensibly under a Frosh or similar governorship)? ...

Not a happy thought.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I realize Governor Hogan has a lot his plate, all the more reason he should appoint a MSP Super that can act on his own and be guided by the constitution and have his own back bone. Democrats crap on the populas, then when Repulicans and their executive branch have the power under the democrats laws to make a difference we are expected to be patient. Thats fine with desired future legislation, but a poor excuse for inaction under current law. I said it before, how can I expect Hogan to fight for my rights in a second term if he doesn't exeecise powers already granted to him and the Super by the dems?

I am really hoping Hogan and his cabinet are serious about making a real difference in Maryland while they have the chance. Missed opportunities are a real bitch.

While I have couched patience, in no way do I expect us to stay patient for that long. I would think if we don't see any movement on anything by the beginning of the next session, we start banging on his door and remind him we are still here.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    The chances of a second term are slim. I'll give him enough time to realize that but this is not low hanging fruit, it's a poison apple. Is he the man he proclaimed to be, will he pick the apple despite it's effect on his already smal re-election chances? Let's be realistic, he'll pay a price for doing it but when the price is essentially irrelevant 4 years from now then why not do the right thing?

Depending on how it's done, not so irrelevant. If we can get the new Secretary to codify G&S in COMAR, then it is no longer a change on a whim. It becomes a public debate (So does codifying it in the first place).

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Regarding this issue, why the GA? Is there a reasonable path to eliminate G&S in the GA? I thought this was about Hogan exercising his existing powers to define G&S as he and his appointees see fit. :shrug:

If we can get the GA to define self defense as a G&S, then we no longer have to reply on the Governor (any Governor) or the Secretary redefining G&S on a whim.

Definition in law trumps executive definition.

brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    While I have couched patience, in no way do I expect us to stay patient for that long. I would think if we don't see any movement on anything by the beginning of the next session, we start banging on his door and remind him we are still here.

this is what its about, the here and now and not 5 years down the road.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    In five pages, one item has been left out.

There are Democrats and some Liberals in this state that would jump at the chance to carry a firearm for self protection.

This 2A Republican/Conservative carry permit issue needs to become a 2A Bi-Partisan carry permit issue.

We're talking about self protection for an entire state. Not just for the 20-30 folks that live in the Water Cooler and Maryland 2A Issues threads.

The powers that be in Annapolis need to find a way to wrap their heads around that fact.

Dec 31, 2012
    The chances of a second term are slim. I'll give him enough time to realize that but this is not low hanging fruit, it's a poison apple. Is he the man he proclaimed to be, will he pick the apple despite it's effect on his already smal re-election chances? Let's be realistic, he'll pay a price for doing it but when the price is essentially irrelevant 4 years from now then why not do the right thing?
    Depending on how it's done, not so irrelevant. If we can get the new Secretary to codify G&S in COMAR, then it is no longer a change on a whim. It becomes a public debate (So does codifying it in the first place).
    You slightly misinterpreted what I wrote.
    My point was that the cost of doing it will not matter during the next election because his chances of being re-elected are negligible. I did not mean to imply that changing G&S would be irrelevant due to the next governor, although if Frosh was elected it wold be reversed with a vengeance. Codified would be best but can we really expect the GA that passed FSA2013 to get behind G&S? I think I'd take 3+ years of setting an example over pinning my hopes on an all or nothing grab during a 'theoretical' second term.

I will happily wait for a second session but not a second term.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom