• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    The democratically controlled legislature enacted this abysmal anti 2A scheme and have infringed on our fundamental and constituionally protected rights relying upon it, i.e. relying upon their oath breaking MSP to implement unconstitutional restrictions. Pretty disengenous of them since they can say "we didn't imfringe on your rights it was up to the MSP Super." I see no reason that the current popularly elected Governor and his MSP designee should ignore the power delegated to the Superintendent by that same democratically controlled legislature, unless they really don't care about your rights. Why should the current administration abandon their constituional obligations in deference to the prior administrations unconstitutional acts? I hope I am wrong, but I am begining to realize this isn't about politics (remember the democratically enacted law provides for the MSP to exercise its discretion), but about an indifference toward your rights. Patience isn't an excuse when it comes to fundamental rights; especially when you already have the law on your side. All they have to do is have the fortitude to act within their powers. We are about to find out.

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    I think we will have the right affirmed from the courts before we get it from the Governor or Super and certainly before the legislature.

Courts aren't elected and things are moving in the correct directional nationally, just not here yet - the pendulum is swing our way though.

Governor (Republicans) won't make bold move because they want to keep what little elected officials they have in Annapolis. (long way to get majority and don't want to move that needle more democrats than already there)

Too many democrats in Annapolis to care about this "small" issue. The impaired right "won't matter to them until it does"

Mega

Wolverine
    Feb 18, 2009
    Lewes, DE
    How about those of us who performed the training and earned out of state carry permits?
    Shouldn't those currently held permits 'qualify' for a MD in-state permit?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I am begining to realize this isn't about politics (remember the democratically enacted law provides for the MSP to exercise its discretion), but about an indifference toward your rights. Patience isn't an excuse when it comes to fundamental rights;

This is not the only thing on his agenda. Pension reform. Charter schools. Tax cuts. Purple and red line. Fracking. Heroin. Pot. Not guaranteed we are out of the woods with budget issues either.

Done the wrong way, you piss people off and lose political capital and can't get other stuff done. Done the right way, it's a horse trade.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    How about those of us who performed the training and earned out of state carry permits?
    Shouldn't those currently held permits 'qualify' for a MD in-state permit?
    MD doesn't recognize any other state's permits. Why should they care about training you took to get an out of state permit?

Now perhaps they'll recognize an NRA approved course but the Dems in their arrogance don't really care what the rest of the country has mostly accepted.

Dec 31, 2012
    The democratically controlled legislature enacted this abysmal anti 2A scheme and have infringed on our fundamental and constituionally protected rights relying upon it, i.e. relying upon their oath breaking MSP to implement unconstitutional restrictions. Pretty disengenous of them since they can say "we didn't imfringe on your rights it was up to the MSP Super." I see no reason that the current popularly elected Governor and his MSP designee should ignore the power delegated to the Superintendent by that same democratically controlled legislature, unless they really don't care about your rights. Why should the current administration abandon their constituional obligations in deference to the prior administrations unconstitutional acts? I hope I am wrong, but I am begining to realize this isn't about politics (remember the democratically enacted law provides for the MSP to exercise its discretion), but about an indifference toward your rights. Patience isn't an excuse when it comes to fundamental rights; especially when you already have the law on your side. All they have to do is have the fortitude to act within their powers. We are about to find out.
    Why go along with the previous administration's acts? Because the current administration wants to be re-elected; politics at it's base form. Many will tell you to be patient and wait for the second term or wait until they 'fix' Maryland's other problems. No one denies Maryland has many issues to be dealt with but why triage certain issues to the lowest category aside from the fact that they are politically unpalatable for a re-election run? Especially if the issue is fairly easy to remedy although controversial in it's enactment? As soon as this Governor comes to realize his election was the sum total of voter discontent and that voters have a short memory, he may realize that the chance of a second term is quite small especially when viewed from a historical context. The democrat vote flippers sent their message and will expect their party to make up for it next time. Will he hold out hope against the odds and continue to back burner certain issues predicated on a second term? Likely he will, that is the nature of politics. I hope he's a better man than the run of the mill politician, but politics can turn even the good ones against their own better natures.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    It's a band aid that needs pulled off, the idea that there will be major backlash from people in opposition of this is unfounded. We (2A community as a whole) know they're won't be the proverbial blood in the streets scenario. So, he defines G&S, permits are issued and almost literally nothing else changes except maybe a slightly reduction in robberies.

Win/Win as far as I can see. He appeased a relatively small group and it negatively effects exactly NO ONE that chooses not to apply or own a handgun.........

drwalther

MSI Executive Member
    Jun 18, 2010
    Berlin
    Good logic and strategy.

If I were Pallozzi, I'd establish the G&A is satisfied by a fundamental right of self defense; then let the permits flow, blocking only the most unqualified and obviously all prohibited persons. I for one like the thorough job the MDSP has done in the past, I simply felt they were denying way too many good people that just wanted a permit to carry.

:thumbsup:

Alright, that does it, I'm voting for Minuteman to be our next Pallozzi if the real one doesn't work out :D

Mega

Wolverine
    Feb 18, 2009
    Lewes, DE
    MD doesn't recognize any other state's permits. Why should they care about training you took to get an out of state permit?

Now perhaps they'll recognize an NRA approved course but the Dems in their arrogance don't really care what the rest of the country has mostly accepted.

MD could, and should, recognize reciprocity to other states.
    Many of those 'other states' training requirements exceed the MD requirements.
    The background check, fingerprinting, and other hoops to jump through are all the same.
    So what is the issue with reciprocity?

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    MD could, and should, recognize reciprocity to other states.
    Many of those 'other states' training requirements exceed the MD requirements.
    The background check, fingerprinting, and other hoops to jump through are all the same.
    So what is the issue with reciprocity?

Not the word I would use....

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    If Dems were smart, they'd "allow" themselves to be dragged into turning the HQL into a CCW. They'd wail and gnash their teeth blame Hogans teahadist agenda for giving them no choice, then grab some school construction funding or something. He made me do it! Smart dems know this is coming. They also saw what an abysmal failure Browns guns in schoolyard commercials were.

i like this. they should pass it and blame the evil Hogan rather than look bad when the courts strike it down, or democrats apply for permits and get them revoked or not renewed under a future dem governor.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

No, but the Legislature has left it up to the Secretary to accept other training as he sees fit.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I realize Governor Hogan has a lot his plate, all the more reason he should appoint a MSP Super that can act on his own and be guided by the constitution and have his own back bone. Democrats crap on the populas, then when Repulicans and their executive branch have the power under the democrats laws to make a difference we are expected to be patient. Thats fine with desired future legislation, but a poor excuse for inaction under current law. I said it before, how can I expect Hogan to fight for my rights in a second term if he doesn't exeecise powers already granted to him and the Super by the dems?

I am really hoping Hogan and his cabinet are serious about making a real difference in Maryland while they have the chance. Missed opportunities are a real bitch.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I said it before, how can I expect Hogan to fight for my rights in a second term if he doesn't exeecise powers already granted to him and the Super by the dems?

Exactly. This is low-hanging fruit, relatively speaking. All of this talk about second-terms and building goodwill in the GA is BS - you can do both. I think many of the posters here have Battered Gun Owner's Syndrome. This is a Right, not a transportation project.

Dec 31, 2012
    Exactly. This is low-hanging fruit, relatively speaking. All of this talk about second-terms and building goodwill in the GA is BS. I think many of the posters here have Battered Gun Owner's Syndrome. This is a Right, not a transportation project.
    The chances of a second term are slim. I'll give him enough time to realize that but this is not low hanging fruit, it's a poison apple. Is he the man he proclaimed to be, will he pick the apple despite it's effect on his already smal re-election chances? Let's be realistic, he'll pay a price for doing it but when the price is essentially irrelevant 4 years from now then why not do the right thing?

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Why go along with the previous administration's acts? Because the current administration wants to be re-elected; politics at it's base form. Many will tell you to be patient and wait for the second term or wait until they 'fix' Maryland's other problems. No one denies Maryland has many issues to be dealt with but why triage certain issues to the lowest category aside from the fact that they are politically unpalatable for a re-election run? Especially if the issue is fairly easy to remedy although controversial in it's enactment? As soon as this Governor comes to realize his election was the sum total of voter discontent and that voters have a short memory, he may realize that the chance of a second term is quite small especially when viewed from a historical context. The democrat vote flippers sent their message and will expect their party to make up for it next time. Will he hold out hope against the odds and continue to back burner certain issues predicated on a second term? Likely he will, that is the nature of politics. I hope he's a better man than the run of the mill politician, but politics can turn even the good ones against their own better natures.

Despite my posts I do remain optimistic about Hogan. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom