• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bisondice

Ultimate Member
    Dec 26, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I'm so tired of political parties being defined by one or two hot button topics. It's always abortion, guns, gays, environment, religion, energy and anything that inspires emotion. The older I get the more I realize that ALL!!! politicians play on our weak single sided emotions to shield us from noticing the big picture and exploit us! :sad20::sad20::sad20::sad20:

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I'm so tired of political parties being defined by one or two hot button topics. It's always abortion, guns, gays, environment, religion, energy and anything that inspires emotion. The older I get the more I realize that ALL!!! politicians play on our weak single sided emotions to shield us from noticing the big picture and exploit us! :sad20::sad20::sad20::sad20:

What, like education, taxes, the economy, opportunity, the fact that China is now a larger economic power than us, etc.? I truly believe that the US is on the way down at this point and that things will just be worse and worse for each successive generation. Hope I am wrong.

Buried in a report that I received from one of my delegates today, I had the pleasure of reading this:

Addressing the Prince George’s County School System’s higher-than-State-average dropout rate, statewide assessment and SAT scores that are lower than the State average, declining enrollment despite a burgeoning county population, and the acquisition of a new school superintendent, SB 1071 creates an integrated school governance model in Prince George’s County.

Have to wonder how the school system is doing in Baltimore City.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.

Who is we? I am not we. You are not we. And mdshooters is not we.
    Find the we and fix it.

NOW. Time is short.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007

"Politics" at its core is all about politicians quietly creating problems that cause constituents to clamor for "Politicians" to "Fix".

All of our biggest "Problems" are a product of gooberment meddling......Health Care to Education to Economic Conditions (Housing Market bubble, Currency manipulation, Trade wars.....)

Gooberment has an important job to do but that job is limited to protecting liberty, freedom and private property

Anotherpyr

Ultimate Member
    "Politics" at its core is all about politicians quietly creating problems that cause constituents to clamor for "Politicians" to "Fix".

All of our biggest "Problems" are a product of gooberment meddling......Health Care to Education to Economic Conditions (Housing Market bubble, Currency manipulation, Trade wars.....)

Gooberment has an important job to do but that job is limited to protecting liberty, freedom and private property

Seems like I once heard something like, "To really screw something up, give it to a politician."

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    Dangerous Times

Chevy

Sep 6, 2010
    What, like education, taxes, the economy, opportunity, the fact that China is now a larger economic power than us, etc.? I truly believe that the US is on the way down at this point and that things will just be worse and worse for each successive generation. Hope I am wrong.

Buried in a report that I received from one of my delegates today, I had the pleasure of reading this:

Addressing the Prince George’s County School System’s higher-than-State-average dropout rate, statewide assessment and SAT scores that are lower than the State average, declining enrollment despite a burgeoning county population, and the acquisition of a new school superintendent, SB 1071 creates an integrated school governance model in Prince George’s County.

Can you post the full email?

Right2Carry

Feb 27, 2009
    District 32

Cultural Contamination at the TOP!

Some of anti-gun Liberal Communist Democrats are Anchor Babies, or have/had very close ties to an illegal immigrant.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    The first step is get rid of democrats and republicans. The titles alone divide people, especially people who dont know any better.

Im 26 and saw that awhile ago....

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Can you post the full email?

The full e-mail is really, really, really long. I did not even read all the way through it. I'll post the portion on education in PG County though. If you really want the rest, send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll forward the entire thing to you.

Prince George’s County School System

SB 1071 allows the county executive to nominate a Superintendent for a 4-year term, to be known as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), who is a cabinet-level, Executive Branch employee and reports directly to the county executive. The CEO is responsible for overall administration of the county school system and for the day-to-day management and oversight of the fiscal affairs. The State Superintendent of Schools must approve the nomination.

The Prince George’s County School Board membership grows by two appointed, voting members, one ex officio member with limited voting, and three appointed, non-voting members. The board’s authority is reduced, but the board maintains responsibility for academic achievement and parental engagement. The board generally may not implement a policy or take any action that contradicts the CEO’s day-to-day management and oversight of fiscal affairs but may, with a vote of two-thirds of all voting members, take an action contrary to the action of the CEO.

The CEO is also responsible for curriculum and instruction and for identifying a chief operating officer and chief financial officer. The CEO, in consultation with the county board of education, also may determine the geographical attendance area for each public school and consolidate schools if practicable.

Task Force for School Board Operation in Prince George’s County

Legislation (HB 1107) to create the task force passed the House. The task force must study and make recommendations on the compensation, qualifications, and composition of the board of education members; standards and protocols to maximize board results, accountability, transparency, and oversight; standards and protocols for establishing and measuring board outcomes; protocols for increasing public awareness and providing objective voter information regarding school board elections; and any other relevant issues.

Later School Start Time

The House passed HB 1462, creating a Task Force to Study a Later Starting Time for Maryland Public Schools. The task force must review the science on the sleep needs of adolescents, including effects of sleep deprivation on academic performance and benefits of sufficient sleep and make recommendations regarding whether public schools should implement a starting time of no earlier than 8:00 a.m.

That is the section on education. Then there is a section on gun control, assisted pregnancy/child birth, division of corrections, the state deficit woes and how we are not making headway to resolve them, etc.

HKB

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2007
    Finksburg, MD
    I am still on a learning curve here trying to find out the need for legislators to make laws on a yearly basis? No wonder the country is in the shape it is in after 230+ years of laws being written it is a wonder we can take a shit without being taxed/fined/jailed.
    It is getting to the point where a major reset(ie: change) back to our basic constitutional principles is needed. JMO

smokering

Day Walker
    May 16, 2008
    AA
    When a country is on top it doesn't really concern itself with private gun ownership; it's when they know many of their citizens realize the country is failing is when they want your guns.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    So you are saying we need a single party system?

Not at all. By eliminating labels we are forced to learn about the persons views and they are allowed to express them. No more "I'm voting for t because I'm a democrat."

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I am still on a learning curve here trying to find out the need for legislators to make laws on a yearly basis? No wonder the country is in the shape it is in after 230+ years of laws being written it is a wonder we can take a shit without being taxed/fined/jailed.
    It is getting to the point where a major reset(ie: change) back to our basic constitutional principles is needed. JMO

Yeah, not a wonder at all. Flush the toilet and see if there is any tax related to your water/sewer bill. Bet there is.

Take a dump outdoors and you risk being charged with indecent exposure which is subject to a fine and jail time.

I would say it is more of a wonder that we don't get taxed/fined/or jailed for breathing, but I bet I can find some exceptions to that too.

Feb 28, 2013
    I would say it is more of a wonder that we don't get taxed/fined/or jailed for breathing, but I bet I can find some exceptions to that too.

Well, it's already been established that CO2 is a pollutant, so STOP BREATHING!! Your polluting the air. The fact that trees NEED CO2 is beside the point.

And while your at it, stop farting too. :lol2:

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County

Extremely interesting book written by Paul Kennedy "The Rise and Fall of the Great Powers" details the strangely similar life cycle of many of the great world powers through history. The crux of his thesis is that nations gain an economic advantage, which they use to expand their influence worldwide, they are then required to build up their military to defend this infrastructure, the cost of this spirals until it consumes their economy to the point that they lose competitiveness; they are then supplanted by a new power that takes advantage of the first nations weakening presence to supplant them. He details this life cycle through many different "empires" historically (the Hapsburgs, and British feature prominently). When you read his book, you can't help but think of the U.S., with our economic troubles and the enormous overspending we do on on our military ($400mil a copy for an under-performing, trouble prone, behind schedule, and unneeded F35?). I can only wonder if in 50 years we will be like Britain, looking back at when we were THE power in the world, and speaking reverently of our glory days.

Edit: "Clash of Civilizations" is another very interesting (and hotly contested academically) book in this area.

NatBoh

Ultimate Member
    Jan 4, 2012
    Baltimore
    China is not a larger economic power than the US. According to stats compiled by The World Bank, in 2011, the US had a world-leading GDP of approx. 15 trillion dollars. In second place was China, with a GDP of approx. 7.3 trillion dollars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom