• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pensfaninmd

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 28, 2010
    Harford County
    I just picked up a WASR 10 AK 47 and the wood is laminated but very rough. Has any one refinished one and if so, how did it turn out. Or would it be best just pick up new furniture? Any suggestions will be appreciated..
    Thanks!

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    There was a guy on the ar forum that did mine for 80 bucks and it turned out awesome!!!

They aren't hard to refinish though.

CHEF

May 25, 2011
    frederick Md
    I used Rit dye and tung oil and it turned out great. Just google search refinishing wasr 10.
    It's a very easy project.

dpmd

Apr 2, 2010
    Montgomery County
    I used Rit dye and tung oil and it turned out great. Just google search refinishing wasr 10.
    It's a very easy project.

+1
    My WASR was my first refinishing project and it was easy enough. I used the same products as the previous poster. Prep work involves sandpaper, 000 steel wool and tack cloth. I'm very happy with mine.

Good luck!

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    The WASR furniture looks rough but it cleans up nice with a little surface prep work (sanding). As stated already, RIT dyed to taste and finished in tung oil is a nice outcome, other guys varnish theirs but IMO this leaves the stock way too shiny for a classic military look.

There really is very little difference between the original Romanian WASR furniture and Russian furniture besides a nice finish. Take time to DIY and it'll turn out great!

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    Surface prep is everything. Sand, sand, sand. You can get most surplus wood looking really nice with a little work. I gave a half finished, really crappy looking (IMO) set to a fellow member; and despite its appearance (I had been using it as a stain test, and hadn't done much/any surface prep)I bet it will end up looking really sweet with a little refinishing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom