• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Xander

Dec 6, 2010
    I am always amazed at how quickly people confuse inability with ill will. MSP can't handle the workload because they were given an impossible task. So, they say they are refusing to enforce the law, and saying it publicly. This isn't a trap, they just are trying to give themselves a little breathing room. I have spoken personally with almost every trooper in the leadership of the lic division. Trust me, there are no black helicopters and they are only interested in doing their jobs.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Actually, there may be. Code of Public General Laws (Statutes) of Maryland §5–133 and §5–134 prohibit local governments from regulating the purchase, sale, taxation, transfer, manufacture, repair, ownership, possession and transportation of handguns, rifles, shotguns and ammunition, with some exceptions. Those exceptions apply mainly to minors and locations in close proximity to places of public assembly.

This is best left to a lawyer.

It prohibits local governments from passing regulations/laws. It does NOT prevent local law enforcement from enforcing state laws like SB281.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I am always amazed at how quickly people confuse inability with ill will. MSP can't handle the workload because they were given an impossible task. So, they say they are refusing to enforce the law, and saying it publicly. This isn't a trap, they just are trying to give themselves a little breathing room. I have spoken personally with almost every trooper in the leadership of the lic division. Trust me, there are no black helicopters and they are only interested in doing their jobs.

What about the troopers who will inspect the FFLs books 6 months from now?

Mr H

Banana'd

While I appreciate your 'benefit of the doubt' approach, I have to say it really is some of each.

The MSP, by and large, isn't the issue. You are correct in that. BUT....

Those who take their orders from the Administration??

There is ill will coming down from on high, and they are obligated (by their career path) to implement it. Then, in the implementation itself, there are people in MSP (not necessarily Troopers) who have shown themselves to be lazy, uncaring, incompetent, malicious... or any combination of them.

Personally?? I've not been privy to anything in their decision process, but I can only come up with 2 options... Purposeful attempt to ensnare, or they lucked into a trappable circumstance. I was leaning toward the latter earlier today. Now, I'm not so sure.

vinjet700

No one of significance
    Mar 1, 2013
    State of absolute disgust
    Not really. How many handgun purchases will not have been transferred before 10/1 before this call for illegal activity?

Most FFL's were going to ON TIME release. People had planned and purchased for pre-10/1 receive and would have completed the transfers prior to 10/1.

If this is a "trap", would it give reason to see what else the owner has?

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE

TurkeyTrack

Nov 17, 2012
    If I had a Top Secret Security Clearance, would I risk knowingly committing a crime by taking the bad advice of the MSP and receive a firearm after October 1st without an HQL? They did not say it is not against the law. They said they would not enforce the law. This is one of the worst decisions I have ever seen the MSP make. I would strongly recommend you follow the advice of the AGCLVP.

Wow! Just wow! I hadn't thought of this angle on the MSP announcement. Bastages.

Personally?? I've not been privy to anything in their decision process, but I can only come up with 2 options... Purposeful attempt to ensnare, or they lucked into a trappable circumstance. I was leaning toward the latter earlier today. Now, I'm not so sure.

This. I guess even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

Would the FFLs themselves also potentially be in danger if they transfer a handgun to someone they know does not have an HQL after October 1st?

Great post. Thanks for the heads up! :thumbsup: Because of the MSP announcement I was toying around with the idea of making one last purchase if the opportunity presented itself. Not looking good now. OP just saved me the trouble of some serious headaches. Thanks!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    If I had a Top Secret Security Clearance, would I risk knowingly committing a crime by taking the bad advice of the MSP and receive a firearm after October 1st without an HQL? They did not say it is not against the law. They said they would not enforce the law. This is one of the worst decisions I have ever seen the MSP make. I would strongly recommend you follow the advice of the AGCLVP.

I have to agree with you. At first I thought this was a great idea. Now, it's just a mess.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Wow! Just wow! I hadn't thought of this angle on the MSP announcement. Bastages.

This. I guess even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

Would the FFLs themselves also potentially be in danger if they transfer a handgun to someone they know does not have an HQL after October 1st?

Great post. Thanks for the heads up! :thumbsup: Because of the MSP announcement I was toying around with the idea of making one last purchase if the opportunity presented itself. Not looking good now. OP just saved me the trouble of some serious headaches. Thanks!

The bolded.... FK YES.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    No way in hell would I risk that. The interview will ask about misdemeanor and felony crimes that you have knowingly been involved in; if you lie, you are perjuring yourself...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom