• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bulvan1

Jun 4, 2013
    Why are you surprised?

I don't understand why so many people are surprised by all the screw ups. When I bought a handgun in June to avoid the HQL, do you think I or the FFL had any thoughts about applications being processed so slowly that it could pass Oct. & an HQL would be needed? (Luckily, I had mine released before Oct. so no issues), that issue didn't arise til I believe around late Aug., early Sept., but, what I'm saying I don't get is why so many people are surprised by all the screw-ups. Anytime a new law that is complicated in nature & affects things that are already owned, being used, etc, that issues will arise. Just look at New York, (at least MD isn't like them), where every time they need an "Emergency" law it's (no pun intended), shoot 1st & clean up the mess later. We had a good few months to decide if we wanted to purchase another gun without an HQL, while theirs was written to go into affect pretty much immediately & it was so rushed that every LEO was breaking the law because they forgot to exclude them from the 7 round limit.
    Anyways, while I'm fully against the whole new law & the HQL which is basically in place to make only the very determined go through the process of buying a gun, & shutting down a few gun shops due to lack of business wouldn't hurt either, I'm not the least bit surprised by all the issues arising, especially with such an Anti-Gun leadership, with 1 of them being the AG.
    As for the MSP saying they won't enforce the law, I do believe that was done for 2 reasons. 1. To avoid possible lawsuits & more paperwork. 2. To be fair to people that bought guns months ago & thier application was backed up by the MSP, (I don't think they're evil, just Anti-Gun), & on occasion a bit of thier decency & sense of fairness & what is right gets through.
    As to the question of the MSP saying they won't enforce the law, I'm torn in that but would be wary of picking up aft Oct. without an HQL. The discussions & comments on only the MSP can ENFORCE gun laws is rediculous, yes, only the state has the power to make laws, but of course anyone can enforce them. Does anyone really believe if a local LEO sees someone carrying a gun down the street, or finds 1 during a pat down, that they have to call in the MSP to handle it? How rediculous is that? But, as for picking up after Oct. without an HQL per the MSP. I think the reason to be worried is because (not sure what the statute of limitations is, if there is one), this issue will be hanging over your head as long as you live or are a resident of MD! Someone mentioned speeding which is a good way to look at it. If the MSP clocks me doing 59 in a 55, can they give me a ticket? Yes, Do they have to? That's at thier discretion, but the difference is once they don't pull me over, it's a done deal. I can't/won't get a knock on my door a year later with an Officer there handing me a ticket for driving 59 last year! However, with the picking up after Oct. without an HQL, who knows who will be or where the Legislature, AG, MSP, will go with this. And while that's probably in the long future & maybe cooler heads will prevail to not go after people that based on the MSP picked up thier guns after Oct. without an HQL 6 years ago, you never know. Also, I might add, if Frosh wins the AG race, the long future might be a lot sooner then we think.
    Sorry so long, basically, if it were me, as I mentioned, I'm torn. Would the wanted to get my gun already because it's been long enough, prevail? Maybe. After the novelty wore off, would I be nervous every time the issue comes up in the news, or on forums, etc.? You betcha! :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom