• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Feb 28, 2013
    I don't necessarily disagree, but I think Texas has a law that when an LEO approaches you while you are armed and asks you to disarm temporarily so he can investigate what's going on and determine that the situation is safe for him, you are required to comply. I don't consider it an unreasonable request either. It's not like they were trying to take his guns away and take them back to the station or something. From what I understand it was either a request or perhaps a lawful order to very temporarily disarm until the officers who didn't know him from Adam determined the scene was safe. It sounds to me like that's what got him arrested.

I'll give you this. I wouldn't call a request like that unreasonable either.

But regardless, my feelings about cops aren't popular here, and this is just another reason why I harbor those feelings.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    guys the full video IS up on the guys vimeo page.

it starts just before the cuffs go on, though you dont see much at that point, but you can hear whats happening.

there was no resisting.

the cop did not ask for his gun, he went straight and tried to grab it off him, the officer admits to this in the video and claims it to be justified simply because he is carrying a gun.

we cant see what happened before the video, but the video in its entirety is pretty clear on what happened and what was going on.

and if you doubt the cops were in the wrong just listen to everything they say, they're basically dismissing the fact its legal to carry the gun.

you can see they pretty much realize they overreacted, but in the end they arrest him, most likely so can charge him and try to justify their actions by charging him with resisting arrest.

i hope he gets off completely and the officer is punished, fired? maybe not, but he needs to be punished enough that in the future he respects the rights of law abiding citizens more.

this was in texas where people are mostly pro 2a, so despite this cop, hopefully the court throws out the charges and theres a good end to this.

Stealthy

Jun 2, 2012
    Bmore
    Here's the 13 minute video ... for those talking about "the video snips" not accurately portraying what happened. After watching this i'm so Effing pissed right now.

http://vimeo.com/62032686

I'm so worked up after seeing this sh*t i actually just donated $5.00 ... If it hasn't been mentioned, there is a donation page for his court costs and law suit fees etc. I hope he wins and gets paid. His son's is going to be screwed up by this experience for years, probably forever.
    I just read another news story about how the son is having daily panic attacks attacks. A kid that age know shouldn't know what a panic attack even is. http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/2nd-amendment-legal-defense-fund

KD999

Dec 18, 2012
    Virginia
    Same reason they have to emphasize it was an ar15
    I think it makes it worse because our vets and armed forces fight for our rights only to come home and be deprived of theirs. I think it also makes the LE look worse because they are accusing someone of dangerous firearms handling who has more training than they do.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Here's the 13 minute video ... for those talking about "the video snips" not accurately portraying what happened. After watching this i'm so Effing pissed right now.

Again the video is incomplete and still only portrays the second half of the encounter. You can't tell from that video that "the cop did not ask for his gun, he went straight and tried to grab it off him", the fact is the beginning of the encounter is not included in that clip. However I believe even that clip accurately portrays what I suspected. They told him to disarm, as it appears he's required to by Texas law, so they could investigate the situation and he and his guns would be on their way shortly. Even when the officer is beginning to physically control him he is telling him this, still. Instead, he apparently did not want to do that. Yes voices were raised but I also always heard him addressed as "sir" and he wasn't manhandled, abused verbally or physically, or anything of the sort from what I saw. I mean I appreciate all the MSG's years of service to the country and thank him for them, I really do. But regarding this instance, his actions are not garnering a lot of sympathy here. Just my .02.

Last edited:

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    I am surprised no one has mentioned the illegal interrogation of the minor. :sad20:
    "Chris told Fox News that the police officer refused to let him out of the car until he answered a series of questions. The boy had not been arrested.
    “The officer told me that I wasn’t getting out of the patrol car until I answered his questions,” Chris said. “He said I didn’t have a choice. I was scared.”"

Stealthy

Jun 2, 2012
    Bmore
    It seems like the police and people forget that as soon as they check his ccw permit, they know for a fact/by definition he is not a criminal/has no criminal record of ANY kind.

He says it correctly when he tells his son that they are just embarrassed (and now have to act like they are right because they won't admit to being wrong. Ever.)

Stealthy

Jun 2, 2012
    Bmore
    I am surprised no one has mentioned the illegal interrogation of the minor. :sad20:
    "Chris told Fox News that the police officer refused to let him out of the car until he answered a series of questions. The boy had not been arrested.
    “The officer told me that I wasn’t getting out of the patrol car until I answered his questions,” Chris said. “He said I didn’t have a choice. I was scared.”"

Yea and I hope his family sues for a "ridiculous" amount. Questioning the minor like that is one if the worst parts of this entire story.
    These police believe 'They Are The Law!' They even say they're above the law in the video.

newq

101st Poptart Assault BSB
    Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    It is hard to call without seeing the confrontation from start to finish.

I can tell you this , I was on private property on a farm shooting skeet with a few friends. We were safe, the back drop was safe and we were on private property. The neighbors got sick of hearing the Boom of the 12 gauges going off and called the cops. The maryland state police could not figure out where to enter the property from So the trooper walked in from a neighboring subdivision the trooper took us by surprise, not expecting anyone to come in from behind us as soon as one of our party noticed him 20 yards away , we all stopped empty the shotguns and placed them down and backed away from them placing ourselves infront of the tropper with him between us and our shotguns. It was not requested. It was not demanded, it was just the smart thing to do. The cop checked the area and aswked a few questions about the area beyond our back stop and then said well I will let the neighbors know that you are well within your rights and as long as you dont endanger anyone they will have to live with the noise up to the sunset. No fuss, no muss just the law of the land , properly enforced.

I dont need to be a 2a hero on camera and dont want to give a good cop a bad name by making him act irrational because I am doing things to make him nervous or otherwise feel threatened or unsafe. None of you find it odd that this "vet" going for his sons hiking badge decided ten miles of road was a good place to go for a hike with a loaded ar-15 and a loaded .45?

We have all seen the 2A heros tempt cops to infringe on their rights. This doesnt smell strangely like he wanted to tempt cops? It isnt a shoulder sling he is using it is a at the ready sling. The wildlife attacking him would seldom be a problem even whilst just equipped with his sidearm.

IMO I think he was looking for a hassle and found it.

Right2Carry

Feb 27, 2009
    District 32
    The key in the case is the boy's testimony. It will be very damaging against the police officers when the boy testifies in the deposition on how he was harassed, perhaps threatened. It simply shows how wrong the officer was not following proper procedure upon initial contact. It's likely the reason why they changed the charges from Resisting Arrest to Interfering with Public duty. I feel this case/issue will be thrown out of court.
    Oh, I stayed at a Holiday Inn. :cool:

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    If I saw a guy walking down my street with an AR15 strapped to him, I'd be concerned. Guess I'm the loan nutcase in the thread.:crazy:

Note he said "I would have dropped the magazine". Why is a guy walking around with a loaded rifle? Sorry, but that would raise a red flag to me.
    If he was walking around rifle slung on his back NOOO...if he was waiving the AR around YEAH I would be concerned... The problem with living in a restricted state is your chain of thought becomes normal...
    You would have flipped out if you went to a PRO 2a gun rally here...there were people open carrying pistols, rifles, ARs, UZI's etc...yet nothing happened no robberies, no assaults, nothing...I wonder why??

yes, you are the lone nutcase for saying there is something wrong with a law abiding citizen bearing arms in a legal manner. An unloaded gun isn't very useful if attacked by a criminal, cougar or bear. Some of the most dangerous places to be are parks and areas in the wilderness. Criminals understand there are very few witnesses anywhere nearby and chances are good the victim won't be able to call for help. I ALWAYS have a gun on me when I am camping or hiking, where I am legally able to for just that reason.

I suppose it would raise alarm bells for you if you passed by me in PA and saw a bulge on my right hip at about 4 oclock on my belt too...:sad20:. This when we're fighting tooth and nail in maryland for shall issue so we can carry arms for our defense. ugh.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: I carry not only because I CAN, I carry just in case...out in the woods you never know what will happen...I don't want to tangle with a bear or mt lion, even worse a mama bear, or mama moose! most the time they will go a different way but if they are protecting their young they will attack!

newq

101st Poptart Assault BSB
    Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    Still believe this guy was looking for a hassle and he found it. He reminds me of the idiot who was open carrying with a viedo camera in his hands and then when stopped immediately nervously starts yelling I know my rights. I am not doing anything wrong.

I still think this guy went out knowing he was gonna be a 2A cowboy. He knew exactely what he was about to get himself into. You cant tell me you thought this was gonna end somehow differently. The ones that go home with their firearms on their own will are the ones that stay calm turn over their firearms immediately and simply explain to the officer that I want to freely excersize my right to carry but would like to relinquish my firearms while in your custody to avoid any misunderstanding BEFORE the police asks.

This is called common courtesy and common sense.

MDNavyVet

Mar 25, 2013
    PG County
    You can hear as he asks the officers (at 10:26) to remove the cuffs that he wants him to do it in front of the Police cruiser camera. Hopefully it should have recorded the initial approach to the MSgt and his Son and provide that missing piece to this saga.

Right2Carry

Feb 27, 2009
    District 32
    You can hear as he asks the officers (at 10:26) to remove the cuffs that he wants him to do it in front of the Police cruiser camera. Hopefully it should have recorded the initial approach to the MSgt and his Son and provide that missing piece to this saga.

The unanswered question: Why the department lowered the charge to "Interfering with Public Duty?"

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Again the video is incomplete and still only portrays the second half of the encounter. You can't tell from that video that "the cop did not ask for his gun, he went straight and tried to grab it off him", the fact is the beginning of the encounter is not included in that clip. However I believe even that clip accurately portrays what I suspected. They told him to disarm, as it appears he's required to by Texas law, so they could investigate the situation and he and his guns would be on their way shortly. Even when the officer is beginning to physically control him he is telling him this, still. Instead, he apparently did not want to do that. Yes voices were raised but I also always heard him addressed as "sir" and he wasn't manhandled, abused verbally or physically, or anything of the sort from what I saw. I mean I appreciate all the MSG's years of service to the country and thank him for them, I really do. But regarding this instance, his actions are not garnering a lot of sympathy here. Just my .02.

So then you are saying that all citizens should constantly run video so when a jackbooted domestic enemy decides to violate them they will get the whole encounter. I think they were operating under the presumption that the police were their friends and felt no need to roll tape until proven otherwise. I am glad you cleared that up. So all citizens should view the police as a hostile threat and roll tape until proven otherwise. I am glad you cleared that up for us Civvies.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom