• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    What they could say is that they personally got unvolved in a big way,and did many other s including lots of ground team volunteers precisely because of 2a, and that made a difference,

They could also leave it to op force to challenge the claim,since even doing so weakens them and takes them off message.

Or we could echo thier message that 2a was a total non issue.
    Then, even if we get more R support there is no need for them to help us since we told them we have no influence.

The volunteers that worked in this campaign made it possible for the Republicans to make a strong showing.. and they know it.

As usual, you take a long time to say nothing. The truth is, guns were not a factor in this election and anyone who says or believes otherwise is delusional. Guns aren't even an issue to the Dems.

Hogan got elected for the same reason Ehrlich did….the Dems screwed up and picked the wrong candidate. Nothing more, nothing less.

We got lucky, and in 4 years we'll have another Dem in the Governors Mansion along with a Dem majority in the legislature who will continue to screw the working man in this state over to the benefit of a parasite class that leeches off of the labor of the producer class.

But please, continue to use the military terms if it makes you feel better.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    As usual, you take a long time to say nothing. The truth is, guns were not a factor in this election and anyone who says or believes otherwise is delusional. Guns aren't even an issue to the Dems.

Hogan got elected for the same reason Ehrlich did….the Dems screwed up and picked the wrong candidate. Nothing more, nothing less.

We got lucky, and in 4 years we'll have another Dem in the Governors Mansion along with a Dem majority in the legislature who will continue to screw the working man in this state over to the benefit of a parasite class that leeches off of the labor of the producer class.

No matter to me. I will be gone, the question is will we use the leverage we gained at all, while we are here.

Trust me, no one stays in MD by choice.

Not even Democrats.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    #3. The answer is basic middle school civics. The Governor does not make the laws, the legislature does. So, the Governor has no mechanism for changing the laws.

If the legislature wants to pass bills into law that ease restrictions, then I, and a whole host of others, believe that the Governor would certainly sign those bills, or at a minimum, let them "sunset" into law. In Maryland, once a bill is passed by the legislature, it is not mandatory for the Governor to sign it to become law.

Then how the heck did O'Malley get FSA2013 passed? What they do not teach in basic civics is all the back room deals, arm twisting, and soul selling that is involved in politics.

Now, I don't think Hogan has enough leverage to twist any arms right now, but who knows what could be in the future.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009

Man, you are more pessimistic than I am. I am hoping that Hogan will get another term and that more conservatives will find a home in Annapolis. I need to make it another 16 years here without going insane.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD

I was thinking the exact same thing where 2A is concerned in this state.

The fact is, gun laws (both pro and anti) are a VERY small portion of Maryland's voting blocks. We on this site care, but frankly Maryland simply isn't a "gun State."
    Mever tone here thinks that we can't get any pro 2A laws past is because of all of the antis in this state, when in actuality it's just the simple fact that guns are such a small issue on both sides. Even with Webster and the other Bloomburg shills at Hopkins, the anti gun voice is very small too.

Will this change? Beretta leaving doesn't help, but I think the fact that a message is at least starting to get out is helping to turn the tide. I think if we look at trends across the country, our community has got to start pointing to how the largest growth in gun ownership is coming from women and minorities. Get the message out that guns and concealed carry levels the playing field better than any Krav Magra class and I think we will see a shift to MD being more of a "gun culture" state.

But I come from a gun culture state, so I could be completely off my rocker with my assessment.

JasonB

Ultimate Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Belcamp
    1. Whatever happened to that issue with the cops in uniform, stating how Hogan will make their job more dangerous? 2.Does Brown still owe for that huge loan he took out a week before the election? 3. What does everyone make of Hogan continually stating that he's not going to change the laws on the books? Clearly Hogan is better than Brown, but I wish he'd at least hint at the fact that he's going to ease some restrictions. 4. I liked the article, it was pretty fair.

Shhhh. The Dems want these issues to go away

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Man, you are more pessimistic than I am. I am hoping that Hogan will get another term and that more conservatives will find a home in Annapolis. I need to make it another 16 years here without going insane.

If he does get re-elected, it will be because of fiscal matters and yet another weak democrat candidate, not anything related to guns.

However, now that the weight of the media and the other usual suspects have gotten their marching orders three weeks into his administration I predict that we are going to see a smear campaign that makes the troubles that Ehrlich endured pale by comparison.

This guy scares the Dems because he's not at all the reactionary blowhard that Ehrlich was and they can't possible have him be successful.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013

Not even Democrats.

:lol: +10

Believe it or not there are some Democrats that absolutely find Maryland their Nirvana.. and why not? :rolleyes: You'll find plenty living near the banks of the Potomac in Montgomery. They are super wealthy and believe all their progressive dictates are for the greater good, and can't stop patting themselves on the back. My neighborhood is a prefecture of self promoting politicians and wannabe politicians championing the cause for the down trodden. Passing laws using other peoples money for their noble causes.

If he does get re-elected, it will be because of fiscal matters and yet another weak democrat candidate, not anything related to guns.

However, now that the weight of the media and the other usual suspects have gotten their marching orders three weeks into his administration I predict that we are going to see a smear campaign that makes the troubles that Ehrlich endured pale by comparison.

This guy scares the Dems because he's not at all the reactionary blowhard that Ehrlich was and they can't possible have him be successful.

Hogan impressed me at the SOTS affair. He carried himself in a firm matter without the air of conceit that our "President" does. He knows he does not have allies in the majority to work with, but does not find it necessary to throw out the "I won" or "elections have consequences" lines to sooth his ego. I met Ehrlich and Steele at a fund raising dinner before he was elected. Both sat at my table and honestly Steele came off as a better politician and much quicker on his feet. I agree Ehrlich at times became a bit unhinged instead of strengthening his positions.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Then how the heck did O'Malley get FSA2013 passed? What they do not teach in basic civics is all the back room deals, arm twisting, and soul selling that is involved in politics.

He had a Senate that rubber stamped almost the entire original bill. Where he had an issue, was on the House side, that took a full three weeks longer to pass it than expected. They had to cheat to get the bill passed out of committee in the house. By threat of committee posts and by threat of the loss of district funding priorities.

Now, I don't think Hogan has enough leverage to twist any arms right now, but who knows what could be in the future.

He doesn't, but we have a little bit more leverage than last session.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    :lol: +10

Believe it or not there are some Democrats that absolutely find Maryland their Nirvana.. and why not? :rolleyes: You'll find plenty living near the banks of the Potomac in Montgomery. They are super wealthy and believe all their progressive dictates are for the greater good, and can't stop patting themselves on the back. My neighborhood is a prefecture of self promoting politicians and wannabe politicians championing the cause for the down trodden. Passing laws using other peoples money for their noble causes.

Especially when you take into account the amount of money flowing into that area directly from the Federal Government. They don't have to worry about abiding by the laws of a free market system.

Remember during the Federal shutdown how OweMalley made such a stink of the money being lost to the state? They see this as justification for their policies because they see all of this money pouring into their neighborhoods. They never take two seconds to realize this is stolen money from citizens in other states and from kids not even born yet.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I was thinking the exact same thing where 2A is concerned in this state.

The fact is, gun laws (both pro and anti) are a VERY small portion of Maryland's voting blocks. We on this site care, but frankly Maryland simply isn't a "gun State."
    Mever tone here thinks that we can't get any pro 2A laws past is because of all of the antis in this state, when in actuality it's just the simple fact that guns are such a small issue on both sides. Even with Webster and the other Bloomburg shills at Hopkins, the anti gun voice is very small too.

Will this change? Beretta leaving doesn't help, but I think the fact that a message is at least starting to get out is helping to turn the tide. I think if we look at trends across the country, our community has got to start pointing to how the largest growth in gun ownership is coming from women and minorities. Get the message out that guns and concealed carry levels the playing field better than any Krav Magra class and I think we will see a shift to MD being more of a "gun culture" state.

But I come from a gun culture state, so I could be completely off my rocker with my assessment.

If there aren't many antis in this state, then how the heck is this state so anti-gun? Is it just the politicians that are anti gun? I mean, I think we have to rank in the top 5, maybe top 3, when it comes to the most infringements on the 2nd Amendment.

I will agree with everybody else though. Gun matters are not what got Hogan elected. It was a myriad of things, most importantly of which was the economy. Of course, who knows how many Beretta employees voted against Brown because they lost their job. Every little bit of stupidity that the dems passed has pissed people off. Rain tax, extreme gun control, gas tax, zero growth, budget deficits, state debt, etc. It all just adds up to help people form an opinion about the direction of this state.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    If there aren't many antis in this state, then how the heck is this state so anti-gun?.

There aren't many active anti-gunners in terms of the numbers of people that show up for things because the vast majority of the people in this state just accept it as a basic tenet that the default position of any "enlightened" person is that guns are bad.

In short they don't feel the need to bother because that default position is not endangered.

Hollywood Ball

Mountaineer
    Aug 26, 2013
    NC WV
    It's much more likely that the electorate voted against the status quo and the incompetent idiots who delivered it. Hogan absolutely benefitted by the political backlash that MOM and Bumbling Brown perpetrated on the state. What an incredible statement the voters made in the very liberal state of MD. Some might even say that you could have run a goldfish against the Dems and won. That they chose to run dumb arse Brown was either the height of Dem arrogance OR the depth of political depravity (perhaps some calculated strategy??) as they INTENDED to put the Republicans front and center in the midst of the horrendous fiscal mess they left...

You might have your aluminum foil wrapped a wee bit tight if you credit 2A as THE issue that put Hogan in office. You might be grasping at straws and out of touch (questionable perspective) if you think he's beholden to 2A or that 2A will keep him in office. It's one of many things and AIN'T IMO A CAUSE AND EFFECT DEAL IN THIS CASE.

Mention this to my D46 Senator and Delegates and the first thing they do is mention the Senate/House majority. They are clueless ideologues. They haven't gotten the message, not in my district at least.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    It's a good thing Dems don't hunt or own guns. Heck with good paying union jobs they probably can't even afford guns. Surely they only voted for Hogan because taxes are to high.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    It's a good thing Dems don't hunt or own guns. Heck with good paying union jobs they probably can't even afford guns. Surely they only voted for Hogan because taxes are to high.

This Dem aspires to hunt someday, and owns plenty of guns, and isn't in a union ;)

brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    There aren't many active anti-gunners in terms of the numbers of people that show up for things because the vast majority of the people in this state just accept it as a basic tenet that the default position of any "enlightened" person is that guns are bad.

In short they don't feel the need to bother because that default position is not endangered.

its the same to say that they cant miss what they didn't have to begin with.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    No matter to me. I will be gone, the question is will we use the leverage we gained at all, while we are here.

Not even Democrats.

I love living here. And I am not going anywhere. Where do you get this crap?

I own guns and I have one of those crappy good paying union jobs. I also did not vote for Hogan because of taxes. I voted for him becsuse Brown was a horrible candidate.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    As an outsider, I find the lack of a gun culture in this state completely amazing. When I moved here, I always assumed "The Old Line State" was a reference to the Mason Dixon Line.

Imagine my surprise while researching Maryland History during the 2013 gun grab I learned of The Maryland Line and its place in the Battle of Brooklyn. This was the very essence of why the Second Amendment was written: common men taking up their own arms to essentially defend against a foreign army. How Maryland lost that fighting spirit is amazing to me. And then I read further about all of the British Loyalists that lived in MD at the time and I kind of get an understanding why.

To me, the Maryland Line is this state's Alamo moment, and it's high time we start teaching it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tharper429

Latest threads

Top Bottom