• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I run blade tech holsters and kytex mag carriers

http://www.kytexgear.com

But don't get caught up with gear! Get out and watch a match without participating if you want to get a feel for it ahead of time.

Have fun, make friends and be safe!

Lol, this. I just used the factory holster and mag carrier that came with my xdm. And I saw more than one other shooter just throw the extra mags in their jacket pocket.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    Its really not that big of a deal. I had never done it before and I jumped right in. My first match was a qualifier and I ended up finishing in the top 1/3. I just made sure to let the RO know it was my first time so I was lower down the order and could observe the first few shooters.
    For some people it's no big deal. They have no trouble just jumping right in. For others it's easier to watch first. And there's nothing wrong with that.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    For some people it's no big deal. They have no trouble just jumping right in. For others it's easier to watch first. And there's nothing wrong with that.

True. Depends on the personality. Just wanted to give a little perspective from the other side.:thumbsup:

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    Its really not that big of a deal. I had never done it before and I jumped right in. My first match was a qualifier and I ended up finishing in the top 1/3. I just made sure to let the RO know it was my first time so I was lower down the order and could observe the first few shooters.

This.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    That's a nice thing about Springfield pistols, they come out of the box ready to wear. Now if they'd included 8-round 1911 mags instead of the 7-round mags, they'd be perfect.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Hardy Har har:lol:

That's subaru minivan wagonista to you, bub. :D

Seriously though. It's not just one hour. I did the safety brief in january. Gryphon did it a couple years ago. In both instances it is several hours long. It takes up the entire time of the match.
    You spend the first 30mins going through the same safety brief as the participants and reviewing some of the stages . Then you head up to thethe Cub house for about 1.5hrs where they go over rules and safety for the n00bs. Then you go back down to the range and do about 1.5hr of dry fire practice with different obstacles. I suppose the total time for the final part would depend on how many new people are in the safety brief doing the practice. In my case there were 7 so it took a while. If it was 2 or 3 then it would go faster.
    I got there at 9am and we didn't wrap up til after 1 and the actual shoot was over and they were cleaning up around us.

^^^^ Good Info and the guys at AAFG are great. Send them an email and get into the next class. It isn't just a walk in situation. 4 hours is nothing for safety and for someone who knows nothing and wants to get started.

MG in MD

Feb 11, 2016
    Linthicum
    I'm attending the new shooter orientation at AAFG, and hope to shoot in my first match soon thereafter. Can't wait!

TopRacer

Feb 19, 2009
    Silver Spring, MD
    I have not taken Pete's class. Registered for 4/14. I did take the AAGF safety class before. You will have opportunity to shoot in Pete's class, but only dry fire at AAFG safety class from what I understand. One is skill class, and one is safety class, I would say.

Attached is the information I have from last year.

Attachments

• IDPASkillsBrochure2015POtt$50$75.pdf
      312.3 KB · Views: 125

MG in MD

Feb 11, 2016
    Linthicum
    That's my understanding as well, the AAFG course is safety and orientation for people who have not shot at their range before. It is not an either or situation as far as I know. I believe that even if you have competed at other ranges you still need to attend their orientation class before signing up for a match. Not sure what if any training component there will be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom