• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Another detail. Even after you get your HQL not every handgun is legal to purchase in MD. Handguns have to be on the approved "roster" MSP has the roster on their website and most common handguns are on the list. Anything new and uncommon has to be submitted and approved.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    You don't need an HQL in any case to get a C&R eligible handgun - C&R pistols are exempt from the HQL
    (still need to do the 77e and transfer via FFL-01 though if you don't have the FFL-03).

^This.

Some FFLs appear to be confused by this. When you fill out the 77e there is a section for C&R HQL exemption, although I think its confusing.

OverTheTop

Mar 1, 2017
    Baltimore City
    ^This.

Some FFLs appear to be confused by this. When you fill out the 77e there is a section for C&R HQL exemption, although I think its confusing.

It's why I have hesitated to even purchase a C&R handgun. I would like to enjoy the hobby without doing something illegal, but MD sure hasn't made it easy.

OverTheTop

Mar 1, 2017
    Baltimore City
    Another detail. Even after you get your HQL not every handgun is legal to purchase in MD. Handguns have to be on the approved "roster" MSP has the roster on their website and most common handguns are on the list. Anything new and uncommon has to be submitted and approved.

As far as I know the handguns I've been checking out are on the roster so no need to worry about that.

OverTheTop

Mar 1, 2017
    Baltimore City
    If you get a C&R, you bypass the third party FFL completely. For a C&R purchase, you are the FFL. The gun is shipped directly to you.

I will get one eventually because I'd like a few C&R rifles, but if getting the license also allows shipping C&R pistols to my door than that is a plus

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I will get one eventually because I'd like a few C&R rifles, but if getting the license also allows shipping C&R pistols to my door than that is a plus

Yup. Just make sure that you get and maintain what is known as a bound book. When the ATF sends you your C&R packet, that will be explained.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    It's why I have hesitated to even purchase a C&R handgun. I would like to enjoy the hobby without doing something illegal, but MD sure hasn't made it easy.

Perfectly legal. What is confusing is how to fill out the 77r. The main reason FFLs are not that familiar is that most people try to avoid the transfer fees. Some FFLs feign ignorance or set high transfer prices to move their own inventory.

Join a range that does transfers, wont be a problem.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    FFL will put a C&R handgun on the 77r, and make you wait 7 days.

There is a check box for the HQL exemption.

Whether you can receive a C&R handgun at your house and not fill out the 77r ... there is a huge thread full of various opinions.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    I think that this is unclear. The 2013 statute appears to require a "firearm application" for all regulated firearms, including handguns. For C&R guns the applicant does not need an HQL (but the applicant appears to need the rest). I have a pre-2013 77r- the MSP added C&R boxes in Oct 2013. The basis for thinking we can have handguns shipped to our house and not fill out the 77r is from a 2004 AG opinion, before 2015 FSA. I am aware a lot of people do this. I just never advise people to be a test case. Call it Battered Gun Owner Syndrome. There is no downside to filling out the 77r, except a few dollars.

For practical purposes, its moot. Someone on gunbroker is unlikely to ship a handgun to someone's residence in MD, and certainly not to a newbie who has no feedback.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I think that this is unclear. The 2013 statute appears to require a "firearm application" for all regulated firearms, including handguns. For C&R guns the applicant does not need an HQL (but the applicant appears to need the rest). I have a pre-2013 77r- the MSP added C&R boxes in Oct 2013. The basis for thinking we can have handguns shipped to our house and not fill out the 77r is from a 2004 AG opinion, before 2015 FSA. I am aware a lot of people do this. I just never advise people to be a test case. Call it Battered Gun Owner Syndrome. There is no downside to filling out the 77r, except a few dollars.

For practical purposes, its moot. Someone on gunbroker is unlikely to ship a handgun to someone's residence in MD, and certainly not to a newbie who has no feedback.

A C&R handgun is not a regulated firearm in Maryland.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    A C&R handgun is not a regulated firearm in Maryland.

It is as I read the statute, A regulated firearm is a handgun or assault weapon, a handgun is any firearm with a barrel less than 16" in length, and a firearm is anything "designed to expel, or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive."

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    It is as I read the statute, A regulated firearm is a handgun or assault weapon, a handgun is any firearm with a barrel less than 16" in length, and a firearm is anything "designed to expel, or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive."

Black powder firearms are not regulated, but they fit that description.
    Look, IANAL, nor am I an expert, but from everything I've learned in five years of holding a C&R, there is no requirement to do a 77R for an out of state purchase of a C&R firearm.
    As always, I reserve the right to be wrong.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    COMAR (29.03.01) exempts antique guns from the application / secondary sales process (x.02.E). But "antique guns" are generally replicas of those made before 1899.

I can't find that exemption in the statute, but then neither can I find the "live fire" requirement for the HQL. It's true, they may have given themselves some wiggle room to include replicas in a later administration. :tinfoil:

If Maryland did not have vague, obtuse, and contradictory gun laws, we would not have any at all.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    COMAR (29.03.01) exempts antique guns from the application / secondary sales process (x.02.E). But "antique guns" are generally replicas of those made before 1899.

I can't find that exemption in the statute, but then neither can I find the "live fire" requirement for the HQL. It's true, they may have given themselves some wiggle room to include replicas in a later administration. :tinfoil:

If Maryland did not have vague, obtuse, and contradictory gun laws, we would not have any at all.

And on that we agree 100%!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom