• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • May 5, 2012
    If you have gotten your hands on these buggers, they are quite small for a male with average size hands. I am average height and my pinky is way off the handgrip.

You should strongly consider a full size gun like a Glock 19 or Sig p226 and get a 22lr conversion kit. Get these popular guns is if you are looking for a cheap plinker with a tactical gun feel. If you are looking for a cheap plinker period, the Buckmark or MKIII are great choices.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    That photo is disheartenning. I have several ruger mk 1s. Might thread the barrel on one of those.

That is your best option. The Sig is more finiky on ammo, but probably a little better made. Either gun pales in comparison to the ruger or Browning. I will never stock the P22s on my shelves again. I had one that shot way more then a P22 should, before it cracked the slide. S&W replaced the slide and all was good. A customer bought one, and it would shoot ok until a suppressor was put on it. Then it would shoot extremely far to the right. Tried other adapters, other cans, other and, ext and same results. Sent it to S&W and their response was it shoots fine with out the suppressor, and they don't warranty it with suppressor. With that kind of attitude, my response is to never recommend that pistol again. I sold my personal P22 cheap and replaced it with a Browning Buckmark Camper with factory threaded barrel, and have never looked back.

clay_shooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 27, 2011
    MoCo
    I've shot a couple thousand rounds through a P22 and use it as "first gun" when taking folks out. Its not intimidating but no one seems to be very accurate with it. Everyone seems to gravitate to the GSG-1911 or a Ruger after the first trip to the range. Both are available factory threaded. The Rugers are ridiculously accurate without any work.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    You could always stray off the beaten path with your .22 can host.

Attachments

• _DSC5722.jpg
      _DSC5722.jpg
      42.7 KB · Views: 162

deMontjoie

Ultimate Member
    Oct 25, 2010
    Hollywood, MD
    SP22M3 Experience

I've got an SP22M3 with about 1500 rounds through it. It prefers CCI Mini-Mags, but eats Federal bulk-pack alright.

Once that I had adjusted the trigger to my taste, it became frighteningly accurate. Not quite up to the standards of my S&W Model 41 (with the long barrel), but pretty darned close. :thumbsup:

Zinc is a fine engineering material. As is plastic (and wood, steel, etc.). It must simply be used in the correct applications and be designed for the appropriate loading. QA is important in Metal-Injection-Molding (MIM) manufacturing -- with cold-shunts being a substantial risk for weakness.:tdown:

Dino

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2006
    Beltsville, Md.
    I own a P22 ...
    The internet is full of pictures showing catastrophic failures of just about any gun from any manufacture, so seeing them really doesn't deter me from buying a gun I like. I also consider the fact that more people who have had problems tend to post reviews then those who have had no problems.

I also own a Sig 1911-22 ...
    Again, you can find pictures on the internet showing catastrophic failures, cracked slides, etc., but I've had no problems. The P22 and the 1911-22 have both been good guns but the 1911-22 is more accurate and much quieter. If I had a choice between the P22 and the 1911-22 to host a suppressor, I'd have to go with the 1911-22.

Mar 8, 2011
    Happy P22 Owner

I've heard all the horror stories about the P22 but after maybe 1500 rounds, my P22 is one of my favorite guns to shoot. I run exclusively CCI blazers and last time at the range, I got one stove-pipe in around 200 rounds which is unusual for my P-22, it normally is flawless. It has a short sight radius so will never be as accurate as a MK III or Buckmark but when I want to just have some fun, it's my go-to gun. It is picky on ammo, it wants mini-mags but like I said, it's a fun gun so it gets blazers instead. They shoot the same, just means I spend a little longer cleaning the lead out of the barrel at the end of the day. No big deal.

beafly.cakes

Have ~900 rounds of mini-mags through my P22 now. 1 FTF.

I loaded 1 mag of federal bulk at around 400 rounds and had 4 FTFs out of 10 rounds.

No experience with the Mosquito, but I do enjoy my P22. As stated above, it's a great plinker/training pistol.

baltimorelaw

Mar 27, 2009
    Neither. Get a Ruger Mark III or Browning Buckmark.

Agreed -- can't beat a Ruger. The Sigs have (or had) feeding problems. I discussed with the factory awhile back and was told they were fixed yet it still continues to be a topic of discussion so I'm not sure if that's people complaining about earlier models or if they are still having trouble???

thequietman

- - - - -
    Nov 26, 2011
    Harford County
    Or a Kadet, or a new RIA

I love my Kadet conversion. It's not the most inexpensive route to take, but is a great gun. If your also looking at getting a centerfire pistol, you might want to look into the conversion route. You can get them for a variety of makes/models, and while I can't speak to all of them, my CZ75b and kadet conversion have been wonderful (accurate, reliable, and lots of fun).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom