• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aznboi87

Aug 29, 2023
    rockville, md
    Harris wants to urge for stricter gun law in the event of the Maine Mass shooting. She blames there's not enough back ground checks.

here's my issue with her:
    I don't know about Maine but I was required to go through a federal 15 minute background check when I purchased my AR15. I am pretty sure Maine has the same policy as well. Issue is if the Maine Mass shooter was commited into a Psychiatric hospital before, then why isn't that record on the background check?
    Also has a veteran and a fire arm instructor, I am pretty sure he had the gun before he was commited to the psych help. So his background would've been squeaky clean before he can become military and a fire arm instructor.
    Anything they proposed would not have prevented this from happening.

Mister F

Aug 16, 2022
    Rockville
    “The Border” was also supposed to be her area of leadership assigned to her. That hasn’t worked out well either.
    But if you need some word salad, she’s all over that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

csanc123

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Harris wants to urge for stricter gun law in the event of the Maine Mass shooting. She blames there's not enough back ground checks.

here's my issue with her:
    I don't know about Maine but I was required to go through a federal 15 minute background check when I purchased my AR15. I am pretty sure Maine has the same policy as well. Issue is if the Maine Mass shooter was commited into a Psychiatric hospital before, then why isn't that record on the background check?
    Also has a veteran and a fire arm instructor, I am pretty sure he had the gun before he was commited to the psych help. So his background would've been squeaky clean before he can become military and a fire arm instructor.
    Anything they proposed would not have prevented this from happening.
    You want medical records tied to the background checks?

I personally do not...gov is weaponized enough.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    She's a moron, but so are her followers, so she'll speak some word salad, they'll nod along and get angry if they're supposed to. They don't think, they collectively react based on emotion, and party platform. When I saw the shooter was a white male with an AR rifle, and magazine, I knew the leftists were already circle jerking with glee.

aznboi87

Aug 29, 2023
    rockville, md

yes people who are proven to have hallucination issues, or PTSD form the war should be kept away from weapons. They might see a stranger on the road with cell phone and see it as a taliban calling in for bomb activations

aznboi87

Aug 29, 2023
    rockville, md
    “The Border” was also supposed to be her area of leadership assigned to her. That hasn’t worked out well either.
    But if you need some word salad, she’s all over that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    borders a lost cost. Government actually welcomes the illegal immigrants. who else would fix the roads for a dirt cheap price

N3YMY

Ultimate Member
    Jan 21, 2013
    Nothing good will come of anything she does.

That said, the problem with NICS is that data in the system is in complete. Maryland is one of several jurisdictions that fail to submit complete datasets to NICS. Guess which other jurisdictions don’t as well?

Yep! CA, NY, MA, NJ, etc…

No surprise there.

NICS shouldn’t even exist. Ie no background checks!

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg

Maybe not necessarily "medical" records, however mental health records should somehow be tied into NICS. There should be a way that a mental health professional can put an immediate mental health flag on NICS, and I mean instant. How exactly that would all logistically work out, I don't know, but WE in this community are going to have to figure out a solution otherwise we are going to have to deal with someone else's solution and/or still keep dealing with the "mass shooter" scenario. I'm not the "smart guy" here to figure this out, its just what I think. If NICS is in place to "stop this" kind of thing, then why isn't it working. People who are supposed to report data to NICS that fail to should suffer a consequence.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    yes people who are proven to have hallucination issues, or PTSD form the war should be kept away from weapons. They might see a stranger on the road with cell phone and see it as a taliban calling in for bomb activations
    And what happens when the government decides that voting republican is a mental illness

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    Maybe not necessarily "medical" records, however mental health records should somehow be tied into NICS. There should be a way that a mental health professional can put an immediate mental health flag on NICS, and I mean instant. How exactly that would all logistically work out, I don't know, but WE in this community are going to have to figure out a solution otherwise we are going to have to deal with someone else's solution and/or still keep dealing with the "mass shooter" scenario. I'm not the "smart guy" here to figure this out, its just what I think. If NICS is in place to "stop this" kind of thing, then why isn't it working. People who are supposed to report data to NICS that fail to should suffer a consequence.
    No no no. Mentally ill need to be provided with care/treatment. If they are beyond "repair", they should be institutionalized and cared for. Their situation, unlike criminals, is not a choice and they deserve care, unlike repeat criminals.

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    No no no. Mentally ill need to be provided with care/treatment. If they are beyond "repair", they should be institutionalized and cared for. Their situation, unlike criminals, is not a choice and they deserve care, unlike repeat criminals.
    I don't disagree at all, but here we are with the current system, which is why I involved NICS. Once they began closing mental hospitals decades ago and stopped addressing the problem, it led us to where we are now. I don't like it at all, and like I said, I AGREE with you, and I also said I'm not the smart guy in the room to figure this out. My solution would be as simple as yours. I firmly believe the reason politicians don't want to address mental health care is because more than half of them would need it.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    I don't disagree at all, but here we are with the current system, which is why I involved NICS. Once they began closing mental hospitals decades ago and stopped addressing the problem, it led us to where we are now. I don't like it at all, and like I said, I AGREE with you, and I also said I'm not the smart guy in the room to figure this out. My solution would be as simple as yours. I firmly believe the reason politicians don't want to address mental health care is because more than half of them would need it.
    I just cringe whenever .gov encroaches further into our personal lives. I was reminiscing the other day how nice it was having a family doctor. One you could tell pretty much anything, he/she would note it on your paper file and store it in his filing cabinet, in his office for nobody else to see. Has .gov improved anything in this country beginning with NFA? Another rule, another restriction with nothing to show for it just an incremental erosion of the 2A. I don't consider myself a blunt instrument, nor do I consider myself a scalpel and as such, I too don't have the answer. I do know that I want .gov to not increase the wattage of the bulb that they already have up my ass. The end game IMO is confiscation and it will happen. With six decades on this rock, I feel like my generation is the last of the molon labe. SCOTUS will tip back to the left and Bruen et al will go the way of the Dodo. Sure hope I'm wrong...

Cheers sir...

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    first off
    wwdits-********.gif

Our rights cannot be restricted without Just cause and Due process. In the case of constitutionally protected rights like the 2A, that is a very high bar. Many of the same psychologists people would like to see restricting 2A rights are promoting things like gender fluidity and critical race theory. There is a reason someone has to be ADJUDICATED mentally defective or COMMITTED to a mental hospital, those are legal terms, and require a court order, it is frighteningly dangerous to allow citizens in the medical field the ability to restrict the rights of other citizens. Right now the government restricts far too many rights in far too many cases, but in this case, the same government Kamala wants restricting rights handed this man firearms as part of his military service to the government.

The worse the stigma, the more difficult it is to seek and receive mental healthcare, the more walls that are put up, and the more simply seeking help can make life difficult, the more incidents like this will happen. What other rights can be stripped from a person with minimal due process, for life, and due to a temporary crisis? IWhatever issues this guy has did not turn murderous overnight, it always takes time, and usually after they give up on help. How many times was a person "known" to be trouble, how many were known to some agency. At some point dozens of people will come out either to say they knew this would happen, and did nothing. If the FBI sees someone flipping out , threatening others and preparing weapons, why do they do nothing and just say "he was on our radar" after people are hurt or killed. Maybe once the FBI could step out of the van across the street, knock on the door, offer help without strings, and tell the man it can be OK BEFORE he becomes dangerous and unreachable. In the case of many people with most categories of mental health issues, we are more likely to be victims of crime than the general population, but no more likely to perpetrate crime than the general population. Restricting those rights over arbitrary terminology in a field that is far more primitive than other medical fields is a horrible idea.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

Raineman, I am not singling you out or criticizing anything you said, same for anyone else up to this post.

Here is a question that a lawyer may ask or even shed light on. The question is centered around how could and elderly person sign papers such as a power of attorney authorizing control of his/her affairs to his/her children? The question is asked in comparison to another legal document signing when a possible claim that she was not able to understand another type of legal document such as a Last Will and Testament/ reverse mortgage/ car loan/ insurance policy etc. Something such as a car loan that was listing them as primary borrower and co-signed for along with an unrelated but personal acquaintance that had bad credit? In a certain case, this is not an arbitrary question but happened 2 times when the same acquaintance had the elder person co sign on 2 vehicles and then subsequently stopped making payments 9 payments into the loan of the 2nd one. Then stuck the elderly lady and her family with the bill.

My logic was and it may not hold water in the law, but when the lady with dementia had enough foresight to say to her adult children, "I can keep my bills and papers straight, I just can't seem to pay everything and keep all that straight. Will you help me?" This shows the capacity to " understand" SOME things, but not always understand the most complex. A POA might be doable if she knows the what's and why's of what is happening.

A Power of Attorney can be made simple enough that a person who still has some reasoning power left in them, can still legally sign the document, and yet not have enough reasoning or logic at a time where they might be taken advantage of such as a car loan, phone scammers, etc.

My analogy applies to NICS checks and the topic here, because not only will the dementia diagnosed person have limits placed on them legally regarding Firearms. but so might a person diagnosed with Bipolar etc.
    When would a person with a mental illness be/become a "prohibited" person?

Another example, elderly man 87 years old. Known mental patient, 50+ years. However, once diagnosed and hospitalized around 1974 till 2023, no signs of violent behavior, only episodes of losing reality from imagined thoughts. Then once meds are adjusted and enough time to readjust, life gets back to normal for decades to come.

The medicated mind in this case is a 100% rational, can function, hold down a job or do various tasks, feed and clothe themself and handle bills etc while properly taking the meds. Yet, will they be prohibited due to a record of Initial 70's diagnosis of schizophrenia, then reassessed as Bi Polar circa 1989?

Last edited:

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    chili, I think you are comparing apples to oranges in your scenario, and I already answered the question twice (and now a 3rd time), I am not the smart guy in the room.

However I still stand by my statement that WE better help figure out a solution that WE can live with, OR someone else will force crap down our throats.

2 ideas are in this thread:

1) Link mental health to NICS

2) Actually TREAT mental health

Anyone else wants to come up with something better, have at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom