• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Diogenes

Roll Tide!
    Apr 9, 2011
    Paducah, KY
    Not very sporting and something tells me those guys aren't going to fly that half ton of pork out of there.

I think it's sucks. That's my dos centavos.

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    Not very sporting and something tells me those guys aren't going to fly that half ton of pork out of there.

There is an explanation at the end of the video.

Diogenes

Roll Tide!
    Apr 9, 2011
    Paducah, KY
    I shoot critters for 2 reasons:

1. I like to grill
    2. I like guns

I just don't really have any desire to blast a bunch of animals for the joy of killing. That's adolescent Geoffrey Daughmer shit. I see the need to control the populations but I just personally wouldn't want to be the trigger man unless I could bring some baby back ribs home with me.

To each their own I guess.

Chris L

Bite me
    Oct 31, 2007
    Catonsville

You obviously have no idea how much damage those hogs can do to farmland. I was just reading something from Texas A&M University that estimated that wild hogs do $52MM damage to the agriculture industry in Texas each year.

These things are a nuisance and are treated similarly to prairie dogs (shoot em and leave em).

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code

they are Feral hogs..not deer...in TX you can shoot hogs year round, day or night with whatever you can to kill them...Its really about conservation...HOGS destroy turkey nests...some counties that typically have Turkey hunts now dont because hogs have desimated the turkey nests...Hogs also push deer out from where they inhabit....so hunters and Tx wildlife management folks are doing what they can to try and keep the population down...

I shoot critters for 2 reasons:

1. I like to grill
    2. I like guns

I just don't really have any desire to blast a bunch of animals for the joy of killing. That's adolescent Geoffrey Daughmer shit. I see the need to control the populations but I just personally wouldn't want to be the trigger man unless I could bring some baby back ribs home with me.

To each their own I guess.

They are over populated same as deer here. Reason there is a huge bag limit here...In Texas there is NO bag limit on feral hogs!

You obviously have no idea how much damage those hogs can do to farmland. I was just reading something from Texas A&M University that estimated that wild hogs do $52MM damage to the agriculture industry in Texas each year.

These things are a nuisance and are treated similarly to prairie dogs (shoot em and leave em)

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Personally I think it should be criminal to let all that meat go to waste.
    At the very least donate it to some homeless shelters or something.
    That being said I really want to shoot some feral hogs too!

Diogenes

Roll Tide!
    Apr 9, 2011
    Paducah, KY
    I do understand. We have the same probably in AL where I'm from. If somebody else wants to do the shooting more power to them. Its just not for me. That's all I'm saying.

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    I can reason with the way Texas views them. They are causing millions of dollars in damage every year. They are pests to these people of the state of Texas. They are essentially rats. Big,fat, tasty rats. I'm for eating my kills too. This kind of killing isn't hunting. It's a slaughter fest. Nothing sporting about it. I understand the need to control the population and don't get me wrong I'm all for it. But I wouldn't pay money to ride in a helicopter ands shoot as many as I can see. I like the thrill of the hunt and the meat in my freezer. But to each his own. Not for me either, IMO waste of money. I don't look down on them for it. There are a couple of outfitters in Texas that offer this type of slaughter. I would rather be on the ground personally.

ASM80

Mar 10, 2012
    Hereford, MD
    I personally hold no illusions that this would be "easy" I rate myself as an ok shooter and dont think I'd get many at all. I do however think it would be 1. Challenging 2. fun and 3. A memorable experience.

Short of being enlisted I do not see many chances to shoot at moving targets from a helicopter.

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    At the end of the video, the Pilot actually says it is not sport hunting. He said they cause around $400 million a year in agricultural and economic damage. They asked about recovering the meat, but he said it is logistically impossible to recover them all due to the amount of hogs and area they are cover. I think they are at the point they need to kill as many as possible whether it is sporting or not.

Diogenes

Roll Tide!
    Apr 9, 2011
    Paducah, KY
    And I agree something needs to be done about it. So a marksman who has a job to do working with wildlife management to cull herds should go and take care I business. It's just weird to me that people would pay money to be that guy and not get any meat from it. I guess I can understand the idea of challenging yourself to ht moving targets but come on be honest there's more than a little bit of good old bloodlust in the mix as well.

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    I do understand. We have the same probably in AL where I'm from. If somebody else wants to do the shooting more power to them. Its just not for me. That's all I'm saying.

Yeah but you're calling these guys Jeffrey Dahlmer. These guys are giving them a humane kill for the most part. Dont get me wrong it looks like fun and if it were me, I would grab a couple of the smaller ones for meat and leave the rest but it's a job that has to be done. Let's say you have a roach problem, is it inhumane to have the exterminator gas em? Same with mice and rats?

Diogenes

Roll Tide!
    Apr 9, 2011
    Paducah, KY
    Well I didn't mean to say these guys are serial killers. Maybe I misspoke. I was just raised that if you kill it you eat it and while I see that culling like this makes Economic sense for the state of tx it's just not my cup of tea to leave perfectly good meat rotting in a field. There's a difference between killing something because it's a pest and taking a perverse joy in killing something cause it's a pest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom