• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HokieKev

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    A friend of a friend invited me to hunt on a 26 acre farm in Virginia. It is a little expensive to hunt in Virginia as a non-resident. I remember reading in one of the mdshooters threads that Maryland allowed Deer to be classified as a nuisance on a private farm and you could get some kind of exemption to hunt them - but maybe I am not remembering that correctly. Does anyone know if Virginia has any similar program I might take advantage of?

Incidentally, my reading of the Virginia regulations on hunting private land seems to tell me that only the owner or relatives can do it without a license. In this case the owner is elderly and does not have any relatives that want to hunt the area. I think that the deer are over populating and causing some damage and are becoming a nuisance. The owner would like the deer "pruned back a bit".

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    I bought a VA lifetime non resident license about 10 years ago for $500. Now they are $555.
    My buddy bought a lifetime fishing/hunting license many years ago for $250. Has paid for itself several times over.

As a non resident of VA, I still have to pay the $86 large game fee. Includes turkey, bear and deer.

HokieKev

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I bought a VA lifetime non resident license about 10 years ago for $500. Now they are $555.
    My buddy bought a lifetime fishing/hunting license many years ago for $250. Has paid for itself several times over.

As a non resident of VA, I still have to pay the $86 large game fee. Includes turkey, bear and deer.

It is interesting that it includes bear, isn't it? Since this is a lottery proposition in Maryland. If I recall correctly, in Maryland you pay $15 just for an entry into the lottery.

I am thinking about that but $555 is a bit of an investment. In addition to the Virginia Deer License I will need a Bow Stamp as well since the property owner only wishes to allow archery (no firearms).

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    One thing Va has is their youth and apprentice hunting day. So if you know someone (they better like you), they can take you hunting if you don't have a hunting license. Unlike MD's youth day, you can be an adult and you buy an apprentice license for $21.
    But its one day each year

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Not quite. The aprentice lic is a one time only lic , good for up to 2yrs. Valid ( within the inherent restrictions ) for any legal season. What was noted above was that Aprentices would be included in the otherwise Youth Only day. Likewise youth lic can be used for any season with the inherent restrictions.

retafshooter

Apr 28, 2014
    West Elkridge
    Virginia Apprentice Licences

Not quite. The aprentice lic is a one time only lic , good for up to 2yrs. Valid ( within the inherent restrictions ) for any legal season. What was noted above was that Aprentices would be included in the otherwise Youth Only day. Likewise youth lic can be used for any season with the inherent restrictions.

Here are a couple of links about the VA Apprentice License and Sept 27 hunt day:
    http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/apprentice-license/

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/deer.asp

I applied for my Apprentice License (I've never hunted before) a few days ago. When you call them, you can pay for it with a credit card, and they will email it to you within a few minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    KD96

Latest threads

Top Bottom