• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    OK, next dumb question for the day...the state has 14 days to appeal and the ruling takes effect in 21 days, is the count for this time frame from yesterday or does it need to wait for the mandate from the 4th circuit before the countdown starts?
    Clock started yesterday, for both. If day 14 comes and Maryland does nothing, then on day 21, the 4th Circuit issues the mandate.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    You included an acknowledgement of the ruling along with your allegation that they (MSP) ignored it.

:)
    Then what does this mean? Will they issue a mandate in 21 days?

IMG_2807.jpeg

crabjoe

Aug 4, 2023
    Ceciltucky
    If the state doesn't appeal, yes. If the state appeals, then the law stays in place until the appeal is granted/heard or denied. Then the mandate starts.

I maybe asking this incorrectly since I don't understand enough law, but can you answer me this?

My understanding is that since the State lost with the 3 Judge panel, they can now request an En Banc review of the full circuit. If the full 4th Circuit deny their request for review, what happens assuming the State doesn't appeal to SCOTUS? I'm wondering about time lines as it pertains to when the mandate goes in effect. I hope you understand what I am attempting to ask.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    $50 for the 1st 10 years then $20 for next 10 years. That’s not going to break the bank.

The seminar/live firing with an LEO/Instructor I found truly helpful specially for the missus. Same sentiments shared by female goers in our class who had a lot of scenario questions to ask the LEO/Instructor.

If we're going to focus on the money , that's a rather incomplete analysis .

$50 - Application Fee
    $50-100 Class
    $50 - 75 Fingerprints
    $ ??? Transportation expenses ( As noted in the MSI suit , for the residents of the highest crime jurisdiction in the state , no shooting range at which to take a Class is reached by public transportation . So round trip taxi or Uber fares . And price shopping to travel farther for less expensive class isn't viable due to carnage. ( Plus people working shift work or multiple gigs could well miss work to attend a scheduled Class

So the $$ would more realistically total $200- 250 . OR the all in expense for previous non gun owner would turn from ( low $300's for very basic, somewhat suitable pistol ) to$ 5-600 , a significant difference .

I'm glad that Mrs MCMLXVVI received useful knowledge from her HQL class .

But you do realize that our Instructor IP s and our many members who are also Instructors would be available, and quite happy to give Basic to Intermediate level instruction of exponentially greater scope and quality than an HQL class .

gforce

MDS Supporter
    Aug 22, 2018
    This is better news than I could have dreamt for today. I’ll give the court listener doc and this thread a read later but I’m ecstatic for any win on he HQL front. Bravo Zulu MSI!

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    *****That's so cool!!! I wish I had done that!!

I was asked for a picture ID once at this MoCo shin dig chock full of Moms Demanding Some Action types that are usually just a bunch of screeching harpies that need some kind of "cause" in their lives because their lives are otherwise empty, etc..

It was a picnic at a housing development I own several units in and they needed ID to insure I was on their list of owners, etc.. so I handed the dumpy looking lady with the rats nest hair wearing sweats because her MuMu was probably in the laundry my HQL with my picture on it and she just *glared* at me like I had just called her a Conservative Republican Trump Supporter as well being FAT! :lol:

OMG, the lady said "We have children here at this picnic!" - emphasizing the "Children!" part! as if I am gonna just start opening fire on everyone.....:crazy:and I...who can be remarkably snarky, and happened to be with my property manager (a woman) said "We are both vegetarian!" :lol:

Yes, they let us in, but the look on that ladies face when she saw "Handgun Qualification Licence, State of Maryland" was *priceless*.... :lol2:

View attachment 441382
    I like the cut of your jib, sir!

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Your privelege is showing. I'm glad that you spending $50 plus Around $100 for a course and $60 for fingerprints isn't any kind of burden for you. And having a CC and computer access and transportation to and from a range so you can randomly fire 1 round is no problem for you either. You do know that there isn't a single range in Baltimore city, right? The entire HQL scheme was designed and intended to impeded law abiding citizens from exercising a Constiturional right. You see people right here on this forum proudly stating F*** Maryland I didn't get an HQL! The HQL was a win win for the democrats here. Some people decided it just wasn't worth it and didn't buy any guns, the rest jumped through their hoops and wasted all that money.

Now, don't get me wrong, training is a great thing I just don't think it should be state mandated.
    I'm sure there's members here that don't really have a big problem with the "assault rifle" ******** or the mag limits either.
    They're just as wrong as you are. Giving in to little things here and there is what they love.
    I already gots mines too, and it doesn't expire until 2025...so the rest of you all can just eat cake. :rasp:

Who did the HQL holdouts really punish? MD, or themselves :shrug: As you said, HQL did a great job of deterring handgun purchases. It's kinda like when people flash their headlights as a warning about speed traps. Sure, the cops may not get to write as many tickets, but the good ones still achieve their goal if drivers slow down...regardless of why.

The state could never bring themselves to do it, but I think a great way to encourage training would be to make the trained exempt from sales tax on gun purchases.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Alright...so, if HQL goes away in 21 days (from yesterday), can I start my 77r in 14 days to pick up as soon as legally possible? Will that be a holiday and take 8 days?
    Ohh...but I can only do 1 in 30 days. :mad54: I should sue them over that. Can I get my designated collector status expedited? I have a 10 year backlog of handguns to purchase...

(don't answer this question. I'm just mouthing off...I probably need to find a shinebox.)

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    $50 for the 1st 10 years then $20 for next 10 years. That’s not going to break the bank. The seminar/live firing with an LEO/Instructor I found truly helpful specially for the missus. Same sentiments shared by female goers in our class who had a lot of scenario questions to ask the LEO/Instructor. IMO the HQL is redundant as you would be going through another background check when buying a firearm anyway. So why 2 background checks with the HQL’s going to be outdated in 30 days time? I did it for the kicks of an HQL card that would have my photo and name on it that’s 2A specific in MD. No real time wasted being at the range with the missus doing some training together. Now will the HQL attainment process filter out crazies? No! Will it prevent bad guys from obtaining firearms illegally? No! Is the HQL as waste of time? Maybe! It’s just a thing that can be made unique to MD like Old Bay.

Scenario questions? For purchasing a handgun? The live fire potion wasn’t even in the law, it was added into COMAR after the law passed.
    The entire idea of a license for a gun should be removed and never come back, NOT EVER.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom