• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    So after the March shoot I’ve come to one conclusion. There are just too many damn ARs . There were a few AKs but I want to get something new for myself for the next shoot that will stand out as being different. I had posted a while back about the Vepr line of rifles. I have been looking at picking up one of the hunter models in 7.62x54r for myself. I have been able to handle one, but there is not much info around the net about the specific hunter model and how they compare to the regular Vepr line.
    Anyone ever have any experience firing on, what is your opinion of the Hunter style Vepr?
    Thanks for any input.:party29:
    VEPR54RHUNTER.jpg

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    so a wood hunting stock, short barreled, version of what they used to sell as a dragunov?
    There's another model (cheaper, I recall) that has more of an SVD look.

In any event, the VEPRs have always had a good reputation, but they're not easily converted to a more traditional AK format.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    There's another model (cheaper, I recall) that has more of an SVD look.

In any event, the VEPRs have always had a good reputation, but they're not easily converted to a more traditional AK format.

+1

They use heavier milspec barrels and receivers which increases weight but also increases accuracy. They are good as shooters and are made in Russia, home of the AK, so you know quality is top notch :thumbsup:.

If you are going for the conversion/collector route though I would look somewhere else unless you have money to throw in to it.

Sturmgewehre does an excellent review of it below:

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    I have seen that review in several places but I had heard that the hunters trigger and barrel are even a step up from that model. I was just trying to get any experance. I like the mount that it comes with and could find a nice lower power scope for it. I have no plans on changing the stock, and will add a few 10 round mags for it.
    I'll be stocking up on plenty of ammo for it before the nuts really go off as the elections gets closer.

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    I have seen that review in several places but I had heard that the hunters trigger and barrel are even a step up from that model. I was just trying to get any experance. I like the mount that it comes with and could find a nice lower power scope for it. I have no plans on changing the stock, and will add a few 10 round mags for it.
    I'll be stocking up on plenty of ammo for it before the nuts really go off as the elections gets closer.

are you sure they have 10 round mags? the thing holding this back is not being able to use surplus mags. they are really hard to convert as apposed to a Saiga I wanted one and then saw how low cap the mags are. I alsp thought about it not alot of reloading stuff for 7.62x54r and once the surplus is gone its gone. we talked about hunting with this round and the best ammo is soft point priv. I am just saying you could get a 308 Saiga save some money and have a devastating hunting round from the store

Sirex