• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    I completed the course yesterday in Frederick and will be mailing out my paperwork tomorrow. The permit is valid in 38 states.

What was interesting is that it is not valid in VA if you are a VA resident. You must have a VA permit. But it is valid if you are not a VA resident.

Anyone else get their UT permit?

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    nope just you! ;)

What he said

But all kidding aside please know that a Utah Permit held by a Maryland Resident is not valid in 38 States. If your instructor told you it was, he needs to have a talk with Utah BCI and learn the laws.

When held by a non resident of UT the permit is valid in 32 States. Colorado, Florida, Michigan and New Hampshire will not accept the permit when held by a MD resident.

When your permit comes in you should be careful to read the law of each state you plan to travel in before you leave the house. Use the States web site not a private website. Private sites will not stand with you in court after your arrest.

Here's Utah's website www.publicsafety.utah.gov/bci It's a great place to start. Take some time to read through it while you wait for your permit to come in.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    This isn't as good as going to each state's individual website to get info, but it's a pretty accurate and up to date resource for the purposes of reciprocity.
    http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

here's where I can carry with my utah and florida permits.
    reciprocity map.JPG

this is JUST utah's nonres permit
    utah.JPG

MMartini1969

NRA Member
    Jun 15, 2013
    Frederick
    Received my yesterday

I completed the course yesterday in Frederick and will be mailing out my paperwork tomorrow. The permit is valid in 38 states.

What was interesting is that it is not valid in VA if you are a VA resident. You must have a VA permit. But it is valid if you are not a VA resident.

My VA, Utah showed up yestday. My Fl showed on Friday.

Checks were cashed on 7/16. 38 days after that they were in my hands.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Can you provide a cite for this? VSP honors VA residents with Out of state permits. No mention of residency requirement.

This is from the VSP web site:

I am a new resident to Virginia and possess a concealed handgun permit issued by a permit-reciprocal state. Will my permit still be honored in Virginia?
    A permit issued by a state in which Virginia has established concealed handgun permit reciprocity or recognition will be honored in Virginia as long as the permit remains valid regardless of the change of address. It is suggested that you confirm the validity of the permit with the issuing agency in this instance.

BW460

Mar 8, 2012
    I have a Utah permit. I believe that Utah changed their laws a year or so ago to say that if the state you live in issues CCW permits (basically just the Shall Issue states), then you have to get your local state permit before you can get an out of state Utah permit. Even though Maryland does have a form of CCW permit, they dont recognize Utah (or anybody for that matter!). Therefor Utah will issue out of state permits to Maryland without having a Maryland permit. Yes, being in Virginia, you will have to get that first before you can get a Utah permit. I believe this was an agreement between the various states that were upset with Utah for issuing permits to their citizens, who could of, but didnt, get an in-state permit first.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    My point was VA has no such prohibition on residents carrying on an out of state permit as was posted by the OP.

The law you bring up is a UT statute, not VA.

If you live in MD and carry in VA with a UT NR permit, you cannot comply with the GFSZA. Another reason to get a VA NR permit if you spend time there as I do.

PeePeeMcGee

Jun 24, 2013
    NOVA
    My point was VA has no such prohibition on residents carrying on an out of state permit as was posted by the OP.

The law you bring up is a UT statute, not VA.

If you live in MD and carry in VA with a UT NR permit, you cannot comply with the GFSZA. Another reason to get a VA NR permit if you spend time there as I do.

What do you mean by GFSZA? Im going to send out my Utah CCW application tomorrow and want to make sure that I'll be ok carrying in VA as a Maryland resident.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    What do you mean by GFSZA? Im going to send out my Utah CCW application tomorrow and want to make sure that I'll be ok carrying in VA as a Maryland resident.

Gun Free School Zone Act.

Can't carry within set distance of a school/or on school grounds unless you have a permit issued by the state that school is within, IIRC.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Gun Free School Zone Act. BATFE ruled that to carry within 1000 feet of a school, you must have a permit from the state the school is in. Seldom prosecuted as a single charge. Usuaully tacked on to other charges. It's a Federal charge, not chargeable at the state level.

Doubtful you'd get in trouble if you don't get a state charge first. Just follow the VA law.

IANAL

Opinion attached.

Attachments

• batf_school_zone_ruling.pdf
      635.9 KB · Views: 67

PeePeeMcGee

Jun 24, 2013
    NOVA
    Does the GFSZA also apply to traveling on public roads through school zones? I dont ever intend on carrying on school grounds with my non-resident Utah permit but I would like to have peace of mind while Im traveling on public roads through school zones.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Does the GFSZA also apply to traveling on public roads through school zones? I dont ever intend on carrying on school grounds with my non-resident Utah permit but I would like to have peace of mind while Im traveling on public roads through school zones.

It does not have any carve out for modes of travel. The law simply states within 1000 feet of a school. Very few if any CCW holders even know about the ruling IMO. It would be hard to be in compliance while traveling on a road. As I said, if you obey state laws, the chances of a Federal charge are miniscule IMO . There is a portion of the law that states "knowingly" If you're not familiar with the school's location, you could use that as an affirmative defense if you ever got charged.

IANAL

GFSZA attached FYI

Attachments

• GFSZA.pdf
      933.2 KB · Views: 48

jthoma24

Jul 25, 2012
    Arnold, MD

Had it for months now!

Dan_Br

Jan 19, 2013
    Carroll County
    What he said

But all kidding aside please know that a Utah Permit held by a Maryland Resident is not valid in 38 States. If your instructor told you it was, he needs to have a talk with Utah BCI and learn the laws.

When held by a non resident of UT the permit is valid in 32 States. Colorado, Florida, Michigan and New Hampshire will not accept the permit when held by a MD resident.

When your permit comes in you should be careful to read the law of each state you plan to travel in before you leave the house. Use the States web site not a private website. Private sites will not stand with you in court after your arrest.

Here's Utah's website www.publicsafety.utah.gov/bci It's a great place to start. Take some time to read through it while you wait for your permit to come in.

I thought Fla honored if you also took the live fire class, at least that is what I thought Dukes Defense told me.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    FL does not honor any non resident permit, not just UT. FL does have a live fire component. The only way to carry in FL if you are not a resident is to obtain the FL NR permit.

Some UT instructors offer a live fire course so you can apply for the FL NR permit. Taking it as part of the UT class doesn't mean you are exempt from getting the FL NR permit.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Utah non-resident is not honored by Florida

I thought Fla honored if you also took the live fire class, at least that is what I thought Dukes Defense told me.

I am certain you misunderstood. Kevin makes it quite clear in his class that the Utah class along with live fire will qualify you to apply for a Florida non-resident permit. You will still need to get the Florida permit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom