• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Nice picture!

don't you need to make a Turkey sounds to hunt a turkey? I don't think I am good at imitating:-)
    I guess I need to read up on grouse, turkey and rabbit hunting.

lx1x, thanks for the links!

Yes ...and no. To some people the sport of turkey hunting is more about the calling. In the Spring, you pretty much need to go that route, but you can stalk. Turkeys have very keen eyes, and will spot you pretty quick. Also you have to make sure you are harvesting a legal bird in the Spring - since its gobbler/bearded only.

The fall season (at least in Garrett & part of Allegheny) you are allowed to take either a hen or gobbler, and rifles are legal. Stalk hunting works well, and in the fall the turkeys are usally in a large group. I personally find the Fall Turkey hunt more fun.

If you have not yet taken the Hunters Safety Course - I would advise you do so first - before buying any equipment for upland game. Upland game hunting is probably a higher risk for shooting another hunter due to the style of hunting - especially if your doing drives - and working thick cover. The DNR guys at the course will help cover some of your questions as where to hunt as well- and legalities in terms of weapons etc. You will have to take this course to buy a license irregardless. So look into doing so!

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Nice picture!

don't you need to make a Turkey sounds to hunt a turkey? I don't think I am good at imitating:-)
    I guess I need to read up on grouse, turkey and rabbit hunting.

lx1x, thanks for the links!

you are welcome.. been in your situation before when i started hunting.

turkey sounds.. no.. you can buy tools for that.. call box i think is much easier.. been only went turkey hunting once.. but with my luck.. i dont see any turkey.. but when i hunt for deer.. they are all over the place!!! :banghead: few walk under my tree stand.. not once but several times!! :lol2:

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    Ducks-quack

Ok,

I will offer you and the hubby a trip to go sea duck hunting, this fall!
    You two can even barrow guns if you need to.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Schraders still stocks pheasant and chukkar, there are also a few places in NJ that are top notch for upland birds.

JCB003

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2007
    Season runs Oct 1 to March 31. I went on a Mason Dixon Outfitters hunt in March with a few friends. They are in Plyesville, MD. They did a good job, plenty of birds to shoot..we hunted chukar and quail. They had pheasants too, but they were already spoken for for a 300 bird Euro hunt.

They provided the guide and dogs and did all the cleaning. The guide was a woman and she was great. They dogs were well trained and we ran with two dogs at a time and she had six dogs she rotated over a 4 hr hunt. I think it ran $150 ea including tip. Good time and plenty of shooting.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I see ads for turkey box calls in flyers from Bass Pro all the time. It's a handheld thing and I know nothing more. I also am not completely clear on, but think that tree stands used in deer hunting are mostly for the angle of the projectile being down and less likely to travel into populated areas or other hunters. If I'm wrong someone will correct me.

I wonder how you would use a 21" barrel without some way to practice and clay games are good for that.

ybrown

Apr 30, 2012
    If you have not yet taken the Hunters Safety Course - I would advise you do so first - before buying any equipment for upland game. Upland game hunting is probably a higher risk for shooting another hunter due to the style of hunting - especially if your doing drives - and working thick cover. The DNR guys at the course will help cover some of your questions as where to hunt as well- and legalities in terms of weapons etc. You will have to take this course to buy a license irregardless. So look into doing so!
    no, I havn't taken the test. I know I need to. My friend was on my case since last summer to do it. Was going to but then dogs ate all my free time as usual.
    I want to join a IWLA.

ybrown

Apr 30, 2012
    I wonder how you would use a 21" barrel without some way to practice and clay games are good for that.
    Well, here is where my ignorance played against me. I was browsing through "Maryland hunter education" that was laying on our coffee table, looking at all the birds were shown in it. Stupidly I assumed that if they are shown in there, that means that they are available. Told my husband that I would like to do some upland bird hunting and would like a shotgun.
    He got really exited with the idea and took me to Dicks saying that he wanted to buy himself a hunting rifle. Well, they didn't have what he wanted, but we ended up with shotgun for me:-)
    As I said we don't really know anyone who uses one, so we just talked to the guy at Dicks. I told him what I wanted one fore. I tried a long barrel one - really heavy and awkward. he gave me a shorter barrel, but still awkward, then he found one with the youth stock on it - that was much more comfortable.
    With all that I didn't even think to ask about difference in barrel length, had no idea why they are different.
    Then I started thinking about where in the world I would practice. Thought of skeet, then realized that the barrel is too short:-)
    On top of that I found out that some places have a limit on allowed barrel length.
    I've been trying to reach one of the local IWLA to figure out if I would be allowed to use my 21" there for clay, but I haven't been able to get a hold of anyone yet.
    because if they say no, then I am not quite sure what I will do:-)

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Well, here is where my ignorance played against me. I was browsing through "Maryland hunter education" that was laying on our coffee table, looking at all the birds were shown in it. Stupidly I assumed that if they are shown in there, that means that they are available. Told my husband that I would like to do some upland bird hunting and would like a shotgun.
    He got really exited with the idea and took me to Dicks saying that he wanted to buy himself a hunting rifle. Well, they didn't have what he wanted, but we ended up with shotgun for me:-)
    As I said we don't really know anyone who uses one, so we just talked to the guy at Dicks. I told him what I wanted one fore. I tried a long barrel one - really heavy and awkward. he gave me a shorter barrel, but still awkward, then he found one with the youth stock on it - that was much more comfortable.
    With all that I didn't even think to ask about difference in barrel length, had no idea why they are different.
    Then I started thinking about where in the world I would practice. Thought of skeet, then realized that the barrel is too short:-)
    On top of that I found out that some places have a limit on allowed barrel length.
    I've been trying to reach one of the local IWLA to figure out if I would be allowed to use my 21" there for clay, but I haven't been able to get a hold of anyone yet.

if you really wanted to try clay shooting.. you can always buy a replacement barrel for such purpose.. (i know 870 shotguns they sell seperate barrels for them that will fit.. youth models does have same reciever but shorter stock and barrel).

ybrown

Apr 30, 2012
    Season runs Oct 1 to March 31. I went on a Mason Dixon Outfitters hunt in March with a few friends.
    I looked them up at some point yesterday. it was $100 for half a day plus price of birds. pheasant was about $23, I think.
    I guess I am wierd that way, but..
    I understand that hunting is a fun activity, however there is fun and there is fun:-)
    Thanks to my deer hunting friends, I raised the litter of puppies last winter on free venison, plus it fed their mother and my schnauzer. I did buy some other meats but I didn't spend nearly as much on the food as I would have. That was nice!
    So to have fun hunting and eating it, I understand.

Now, when it comes to paying a few hundreds of dollars to go hunting, it looses it's value as a cheap source of food. It only becomes fun, and if I want to shoot for fun, I'd rather shoot skeet, then the caged birds.

I hope that at least any of what I wrote makes some sense:-)

ybrown

Apr 30, 2012
    I also am not completely clear on, but think that tree stands used in deer hunting are mostly for the angle of the projectile being down and less likely to travel into populated areas or other hunters. If I'm wrong someone will correct me.

I thought they are also used so that the deer cannot smell you as easily. If I were to go deer hunting, I'd go with the bow and the arrow doesn't fly that far, although it's still going to be lost if you miss and you are not shooting down.
    If anyone here knows if it's possible to hunt deer from the ground, I would like to hear about it, but I haven't heard of anyone.

mdram

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 2, 2011
    Eastern Shore of Maryland
    I thought they are also used so that the deer cannot smell you as easily. If I were to go deer hunting, I'd go with the bow and the arrow doesn't fly that far, although it's still going to be lost if you miss and you are not shooting down.
    If anyone here knows if it's possible to hunt deer from the ground, I would like to hear about it, but I haven't heard of anyone.

90% of my deer hunting is from the ground
    ive had them walk up to me and wake me up while i was power napping

tree stands are safer if your in an area where you do not know where other people may be

but ground hunting can be done
    they even sell ground blinds
    or you can build one

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009

You can never have too many shotguns :lol2:

Over here near Baltimore there's Loch Raven Trap and Skeet and they rent shotguns. I hope someone will chime in on a place near Rockville that rents them, because it's a good way to find out what works for you.

If a gun is too heavy there is nothing that says you can't have a weight training program based around it. I shoot pistols a lot and I design my weight training around that. I also work in exercises for my elbow to make my beer drinking easier, too :D

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    I looked them up at some point yesterday. it was $100 for half a day plus price of birds. pheasant was about $23, I think.
    I guess I am wierd that way, but..
    I understand that hunting is a fun activity, however there is fun and there is fun:-)
    Thanks to my deer hunting friends, I raised the litter of puppies last winter on free venison, plus it fed their mother and my schnauzer. I did buy some other meats but I didn't spend nearly as much on the food as I would have. That was nice!
    So to have fun hunting and eating it, I understand.

Now, when it comes to paying a few hundreds of dollars to go hunting, it looses it's value as a cheap source of food. It only becomes fun, and if I want to shoot for fun, I'd rather shoot skeet, then the caged birds.

I hope that at least any of what I wrote makes some sense:-)

Jim and Kim who run Mason dixon run a nice place and are great people to deal with. But I understand it can get pricey real quick! My wife and I shot their once or twice a year.

Most clay ranges require the barel length to be at least 18.5 inches. You should be able to shot clays at PG county with no problem.

I will gladly take you and the hubster out on a sea duck or diver hunt this fall. Your gun will do fine for that. The season for sea ducks starts in october all you need is a md hunting license with state and federal bird stamps. I have every thing else !

ybrown

Apr 30, 2012
    If a gun is too heavy there is nothing that says you can't have a weight training program based around it. I shoot pistols a lot and I design my weight training around that. I also work in exercises for my elbow to make my beer drinking easier, too :D
    LOL. same for dogs:-) I already told my husband that without any strength training this is going to be the last giant schnauzer we own, this dog takes all I have in me and in 10 years I don't think I'll be physically capable to handle one. he got me p90x :-) waiting on him to clean the basement so I we can use it:-))

ybrown

Apr 30, 2012
    Most clay ranges require the barel length to be at least 18.5 inches. You should be able to shot clays at PG county with no problem.

I will gladly take you and the hubster out on a sea duck or diver hunt this fall. Your gun will do fine for that. The season for sea ducks starts in october all you need is a md hunting license with state and federal bird stamps. I have every thing else !
    well, then I definitely going to look into clay.
    I really appreciate the offer. I'll have the license by the time season starts!:-)

ybrown

Apr 30, 2012
    does by any chance someone knows how these birds are called in English? just curious.

Attachments

• gluhar.jpg
      gluhar.jpg
      34.5 KB · Views: 89
    • 1321915014_teterev.jpg
      1321915014_teterev.jpg
      26.3 KB · Views: 86

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    well, then I definitely going to look into clay.
    I really appreciate the offer. I'll have the license by the time season starts!:-)

Its all good!

Maryland has alot of public water for duck hunting its just the idea of
    getting to it! I have been a licensed waterfoul guide for about ten years and a rabid duck hunter from birth. I love showing the sport to new people so it would be my pleasure to take you and hubbymister out

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    Ok,

I will offer you and the hubby a trip to go sea duck hunting, this fall!
    You two can even barrow guns if you need to.

What a nice gesture! It made me go look at your other posts and I found you did a duck karma back in Dec. Very nice of you.

I searched every single one of the 24 IP's and wasn't able to find out who you are associated with. I thought maybe The Gun Shop, because you have Essex as your location, but I'm baffled. Help me out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom