• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ybrown

Apr 30, 2012
    Hello,
    I wanted to get into upland bird or small game hunting. Really wanted to hunt pheasants:-) Have Rem 870.
    Find out that there are no wild pheasants, nor quail in MD.
    Is there anything, but deer?:-)
    I haven't done any hunting at all, and don't really know anyone who does this kind of hunting. it seems everyone hunts deer. Not really sure where to start.
    thanks!

mdram

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 2, 2011
    Eastern Shore of Maryland
    Hello,
    I wanted to get into upland bird or small game hunting. Really wanted to hunt pheasants:-) Have Rem 870.
    Find out that there are no wild pheasants, nor quail in MD.
    Is there anything, but deer?:-)
    I haven't done any hunting at all, and don't really know anyone who does this kind of hunting. it seems everyone hunts deer. Not really sure where to start.
    thanks!

dove, squirrel, rabbit

there are quail, but not like there used to be

ybrown

Apr 30, 2012
    Is there any pheasants or quail in near by states? Although I have no idea what are the regulations on out of state hunting.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    growing up (1970s and 80s) i used to hunt pheasant and rabbit on family friend's farms near chambersurg, pa with my dad, uncle and other family and friends. what a great time spending day together with fam & friends outdoors. farm has been long gone, sold for new homes.

anyways, sure there are more private places, but i have hunted once, year before last, at rose hill game preserve near culpeper, va. they are pen-raised vs wild and just let loose on their farm so doesn't have the full thrill of the chase, but they have very nice folks working there as guides and good bird dogs.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    We used to hunt Pheasants in Fredrick Co when we were kids-on private ground. We'd run into the occasional quail - and a fair amount of woodcocks.

The state used to stock birds in some of WMA areas like McKee Beshers. There are some pheasants - but the populations had been on the decline throughout the years.

We do have a place up here in Garrett Co, that does pheasant hunting - cant recall the name of the place of the top of my head - but its a joke, so dont waste your time, or serious money to shoot caged birds.

Now grouse on the otherhand- weve got lots of those up here in Garrett Co. They are completly wild -and some tough hunting. You just about step on them before they flush - and they fly like the wind. They are very challenging. I have also run into grouse at the Fredrick Watershed, back when we used to hunt that area many moons ago. Im not a big fan of that place though. Too much pressure, and other hunters there.

Dove hunting is pretty prevalent throughout the state - not so much in my neck of the woods though.

Rabbits are everywhere.

ybrown

Apr 30, 2012
    well, this is really disappointing. I guess I should have checked this out before I asked my husband for a shotgun. :-(

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    well, this is really disappointing. I guess I should have checked this out before I asked my husband for a shotgun. :-(

you can hunt crows, doves, and other small upland with it. or better yet.. duck, geese etc. :)

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    the good news is there are plenty of shotgun sports - skeet, trap, wobble, sporting clays, all lots of fun, relatively cheap, and plentiful.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Get a bird dog if you get into small game - that will up your chances.

There is plenty of small game to hunt. Maryland is just not known for quality pheasant hunting. If you really want to get into pheasants, take a trip to South Dakota.

ybrown

Apr 30, 2012
    don't have a right shotgun for the sports - too short. 21"
    otherwise that would be fun.
    too short for ducks and geese also, plus I thought you must have a dog for those.
    obviously dog is a help with pheasants as well, but need a different dog.
    Do you need a dog for grouse? Where can I find more info about Dove hunting grounds? I came across the website that listed different public grounds, but I found only one place that mentions dove.
    I guess rabbit is an option.
    In any way I will need to find someone who can help me and my husband started:-)
    My husband wants to hunt deer, and we have friends who do that, but I am intimidated by the tree stand:-) maybe if it was a stationary one, I'd give it a shot, but not the kind my husband owns. Plus I'd much rather be walking than sitting in the cold.

ybrown

Apr 30, 2012
    the dog is another problem. Love dogs! my dad is a bird hunter grew up with spaniels. My husband is allergic to them. Now have 3 dogs 2 kerry blue terriers and a giant schnauzer, no room for a bird dog. I do competitive obedience with them. The good part of it, is that originally Kerries were used as all around dog including bird and small game hunting. Plus my oldest one is pretty solidly trained. I probably can use her as spaniels are used with some training:-)

ybrown

Apr 30, 2012
    about the second barrel,
    I was looking and it seems they were in $200+ range. am I wrong? the whole shotgun was $300. wouldn't it be smarter buy a second gun in this case?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    too short for ducks and geese also, plus I thought you must have a dog for those.
    Do you need a dog for grouse? Where can I find more info about Dove hunting grounds? I came across the website that listed different public grounds, but I found only one place that mentions dove.
    In any way I will need to find someone who can help me and my husband started:-)
    My husband wants to hunt deer, and we have friends who do that, but I am intimidated by the tree stand:-) maybe if it was a stationary one, I'd give it a shot, but not the kind my husband owns. Plus I'd much rather be walking than sitting in the cold.

check out maryland dnr site.. and look in hunting section.. they list bunch of public hunting ground for doves and other small games (wildlife management areas... aka wma parks)

http://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Publiclands/pdfs/dovefields.pdf
    http://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Publiclands/allwmabyregion.asp

http://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/hunt_trap/index.asp

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._

Dogs are great for grouse -almost needed! They are very hiding birds, and will lay in some of the thickest brush you can find-other times they just creep out in the open. There is alot of public land in Garrett County to hunt grouse. It is the top county for grouse hunting in Maryland. I see them fly across the road I live on, and see them in woods near that road time to time. Have even seen one drumming in the middle of the road. I took this pic below from the car window:

Across the line in Somerset Co PA - Kimberly run has pheasants - I see them run across RT219 all the time. That place is a stocked ground, and lots of dog hunters bring there dogs there- probably to train them. But it is a public hunting area.

Dont forget - Turkey hunting as well! Shotgun is right at home there.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    believe from another post you're around frederick. take a short drive out to green ridge state forest. check out their website, stop in the ranger station. go for a long hike and see what you see. pretty sure it's all open to hunting, but check and be sure of any limitations. should have squirrel, rabbit, deer, maybe quail and/or grouse. if there is a hunting season open, get a license and bring your shottie.

as a kid i hunted there for deer and savage river/new germany state forest/park out in western md. unfortunately i never got anything in either place but that doesn't mean there aren't deer there.

also go to md state website to find other areas open to hunting. they also have WMA's in the area.

ybrown

Apr 30, 2012
    Across the line in Somerset Co PA - Kimberly run has pheasants - I see them run across RT219 all the time. That place is a stocked ground, and lots of dog hunters bring there dogs there- probably to train them. But it is a public hunting area.

Dont forget - Turkey hunting as well! Shotgun is right at home there.

Nice picture!

don't you need to make a Turkey sounds to hunt a turkey? I don't think I am good at imitating:-)
    I guess I need to read up on grouse, turkey and rabbit hunting.

lx1x, thanks for the links!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Charles of the Manor

Latest threads

Top Bottom