• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I do not think so.

Purchases from FFLs did require paperwork. We argued this a while ago, and IIRC, it was around 1989 that regulated long guns became a reality.

Rebelwon

Jul 10, 2013
    Woodstock, MD (HoCo)
    This is a question I have had for quite a while, too. I have two pistols, one an inheritance, one a gift when a "third grandfather" neighbor when he passed in the 1970s. The latter is a M1917 S&W .45 revolver that saw action in WWI - and I suspect has some value as an antique (it is in very good condition - one small rust blemish, but lovingly cared for with oil).

My concern is what to do with insurance? Any advice? BTW, all my firearms are kept in a 1-hr fireproof Liberty safe.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Partially.

Prior to Oct 1996, you could do a FTF transfer of a handgun, no paperwork needed. After that date, you needed to transfer through an FFL or by doing the paperwork at an MSP barracks.

But all handguns sold in MD since the late 60s had to go through the MSP Not Disapproved process.

This is a confusing explanation. Are you saying if a bought a handgun privately in 1980's it had to go thru MSP or are you talking about dealer sales?

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I'm still not clear on the new law. If I privately bought regulated firearms in the 80"s and early 90"s are they supposed to be registered come 10/1?

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    It's my understanding, no whatever you own prior to OCT 1 is not effected. New residents that move to the state post OCT 1 must register their regulated firearms.

IANAL

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    It's my understanding, no whatever you own prior to OCT 1 is not effected. New residents that move to the state post OCT 1 must register their regulated firearms.

IANAL

This^^^^^^ As is the norm, people are confusing the new regulations

registration of regulated guns already owned only applies to people who move in from out of state, not to current MD residents

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    The guns I had before I moved to MD....................don't exist. The ones I bought here,...............................well there was this boating accident, just yesterday on my way to the gunsmith on Smith Island.:D

FIFY

SB281 requires 48hr notification of such an accident and sets the criminal penalties for not doing so ... its an old joke that will become a criminal act in October

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom