Univ students stop home invasion...they may get suspeded or expelled!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • beafly.cakes

We're talking about citizens correct? Adults? Able to vote, elligable for selective service, accountable for their actions under the law the same as you and me correct? I fail to understand why the law shouldn't apply because they are students, even if they might get drunk or make other poor choices. That also means allowing them to defend themselves in their castle.

Taking the proper tools for self defense away from them is as stupid for them as it is for you and me. University policies like that do nothing more than create a target rich environment for predators, the worst of which come from their own population.

Treat them as adults. Hold them accountable for their actions.

jrwhitt

May 27, 2012
    University policies like that do nothing more than create a target rich environment for predators, the worst of which come from their own population.

Treat them as adults. Hold them accountable for their actions.

This needs to be shouted loudly from the roof tops until they listen.

Dan_G

Feb 20, 2013
    Frederick ,MD
    This is the closest UMD will ever be to allowing firearms on campus. There actually used to be a rifle range in the basement of one of the buildings. A huge contrast to how it is now. I was actually held against a wall with my hands behind my back by the police in my dorm building for having a pen knife in my pocket.
    8f283588-a948-4fcc-bc28-32a752a6e40e_zps2d2fe317.jpg

The full picture
    IMG_20130919_142446_823_zps0c8e6935.jpg

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    What caliber was the pen knife? You know, if it's not on the handgun roster, you can't have it.

Seriously, are pen knives banned on campus? If not, were you arrested? What was the reason of detaining you like that?

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    Well thats a pretty ignorant comment don't you think?

As if someone should be forced to give up their rights in order to get an education?

The choice between being a free citizen and a subject to be ruled should ALWAYS be at the top of everyone's list of considerations.

If more people voted with their dollars and feet we wouldn't be in the mess we're currently in

But lets take your statement and insert another case

If a <states> firearm policy is the deciding factor when picking a <state>, perhaps <this state> isn't where they should be spending their time.

Seriously, I've tried to be polite, but the most ignorant comments I've heard on this forum are from you. You need to get your head out of where you have it and look at this rationally. Your kid gets accepted at Georgetown (or pick your favorite Ive League school) or a US Service Academy (Annapolis, West Point, the Air Force Academy) and you're going to say, "Sorry, you can't go to a school that will set you apart and provide opportunities for great success in life because they won't let you keep a firearm in your room. I don't care that you can get a world-renowned and recognized education. I'm your parent and I say 'No!'"

Where someone decides to go to get an education and what state they decide to live and work in are not the same!

Get serious!

No wonder we are losing this fight. :sad20:

Let me ask you. Have you ever served in the military? Actually defending those Constitutional rights you so vehemently claim we should all defend? If you have, you know that you give up lots of rights when you enter the military. If you haven't, what gives you the right to demand what I should do? You see, I have served. So I've earned the right to decide what to do without being ridiculed for presenting a sensible argument.

Dan_G

Feb 20, 2013
    Frederick ,MD
    Pen knives are not banned on campus they arent even considered weapons in MD. He asked me why I had a knife I said it was a tool. Then he put me against the wall. I wasnt arrested he just took the knife and threatened me with concealed carry charges or something like that. This was all five feet from the door to my room. Then he came back twenty minutes later and gave it back to me. He said if he saw me carrying it on campus he would arrest me. I've been carrying a pen knife on me every day since since its perfectly legal. I have since heard that the guy that I dealt with is one of those people who takes their job way too seriously and is known for it. Almost all the officers on campus are nice normal people.

Tyeraxus

Ultimate Member
    May 15, 2012
    East Tennessee
    Folks have lots of choices including choosing NOT to go to one of these schools OR attending classes online.

No one is compelling or forcing them into bad situations....they did that voluntarily

I hope to God you're not trying to say the quality of education is the same between a decent private school/public flagship university and online courses from University of Phoenix Online or some other diploma mill. Even most online courses from nice schools are sorely lacking when compared to their on-campus counterparts.

Or maybe you are an online diploma mill graduate?

Yes, it's a travesty that adult students have fewer civil rights on-campus than off. But to be quite frank with you, the answer is not to dumb down future generations by eschewing education of all stripes (even my local trade school back home was firearms-free).

"Voting with your feet/wallet" only works if there's a viable alternative. According to armedcampuses.org, the "alternatives" are Liberty in Lynchburg, VA; a few state schools in Utah; and several state schools in Colorado, notably Colorado State, if you have a carry permit. A few places in Pennsylvania allow carry by permit holders in open spaces, but carry is prohibited in buildings.

So if you want a decent education, not just a piece of paper for showing up, and you're only going to school where you can carry, then you need to be interested in Engineering, the hard sciences, or business; and either be a resident of CO or be willing to go into tons of debt for out of state tuition.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I hope to God you're not trying to say the quality of education is the same between a decent private school/public flagship university and online courses from University of Phoenix Online or some other diploma mill. Even most online courses from nice schools are sorely lacking when compared to their on-campus counterparts.

Or maybe you are an online diploma mill graduate?

Yes, it's a travesty that adult students have fewer civil rights on-campus than off. But to be quite frank with you, the answer is not to dumb down future generations by eschewing education of all stripes (even my local trade school back home was firearms-free).

"Voting with your feet/wallet" only works if there's a viable alternative. According to armedcampuses.org, the "alternatives" are Liberty in Lynchburg, VA; a few state schools in Utah; and several state schools in Colorado, notably Colorado State, if you have a carry permit. A few places in Pennsylvania allow carry by permit holders in open spaces, but carry is prohibited in buildings.

So if you want a decent education, not just a piece of paper for showing up, and you're only going to school where you can carry, then you need to be interested in Engineering, the hard sciences, or business; and either be a resident of CO or be willing to go into tons of debt for out of state tuition.

That's what I'm saying.

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    Pen knives are not banned on campus they arent even considered weapons in MD. He asked me why I had a knife I said it was a tool. Then he put me against the wall. I wasnt arrested he just took the knife and threatened me with concealed carry charges or something like that. This was all five feet from the door to my room. Then he came back twenty minutes later and gave it back to me. He said if he saw me carrying it on campus he would arrest me. I've been carrying a pen knife on me every day since since its perfectly legal. I have since heard that the guy that I dealt with is one of those people who takes their job way too seriously and is known for it. Almost all the officers on campus are nice normal people.

That's not "taking his job too seriously", that's abuse of his position and power. He overreached his authority and I would have filed a harassment complaint (based on his threat) and tried to get a restraining order on him. You can get a restraining order on a cop (was he a real cop or a campus cop?). Of course, I can't speak for you since you know your situation better than I.

Dan_G

Feb 20, 2013
    Frederick ,MD
    I was trying to put the kind of person he is nicely. They are real police officers.
    This happened more than 3 years ago now. I didnt know much then and was new to Maryland so I thought he was telling the truth. That night I looked up the actual law.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom