• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    For all the people who like to bring home the meat, without getting their hands dirty:

American Legion, Post 255
    13390 Point Lookout Rd,
    Ridge, MD 20680

Gauges: 12 gauge only
    Prizes: various
    Cost: Depends on the price of the prize ($3-$5 a shot).
    Start of shoot: Sunday, typically noon.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    there are many.
    http://www.turkeyshoot.net/Houses/houses.htm#MARYLAND
    and these are just the ones that get listed on here. i go to the one in kent island a few times a year. bit of a ride from here, almost 2 hr but the prizes are awesome

I'm glad to see the two up in Northern Saint Marys on the list. :thumbsup:

Down here, shoots are scarce.

Turkey shoots are alot of fun, and easier than going to the grocery store :D

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    there are many.
    and these are just the ones that get listed on here. i go to the one in kent island a few times a year. bit of a ride from here, almost 2 hr but the prizes are awesome

SOMDSHOOT said:
    Compared to the way it used to be... there are hardly any at all. Every bar in St. Mary's County had turkey shoots and there was 10-15 in Charles county alone. I used to go to turkey shoots 2-3 days a week, now, you have to look hard for them. We could go to 7-8 turkey shoots and never cross the 301 highway, now, we don't even have a single one left. There are still quit a few out there, but, I'm not going to travel across several states for them.

I guess this is due to the invasion of all the city folk in this county over the past 20 years LOL

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'm overdue for some Turkey Shoot action.

Alas what used to be the 3 or 4 closest are defunct.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Bump,

For all the Saint Marys folks looking for something to do on a Sunday afternoon.

Guess I have to move to St.Mary's then by gawd. I took my wife to her first Turkey Shoot at the Bel Alton VFW, what was the worst possible place to try to get her interested in turkey shoots. Talk about an unsocial bunch of old coots.

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    this sunday at the moose lodge in lewis DE. starts at 10am but sign up is 9. fills up real quick. cheap breakfast

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    You're not getting any younger :lol2:

True. But, I'm not 65-75 years old and looking at me like who the hell are these people and why are they here ? That place was unreal man. about an hour or so and we just left. We figured, there has to be a nicer group of folks in this world.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Is it just me or should there be a real live turkey at the other end of the barrel?:lol2:
    Real life is where it's at.:evilgrin3
    C

I agree, but, you have to find that release when turkey season isn't in. I'll be honest with you, I know it's cheaper just to go to the store and buy a frozen turkey, but, turkey shoots are much more fun, I just wish there was more of them around like the good old days.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I wonder what kind of interest the local gun clubs would have in sponsoring turkey shoots at their ranges with "open to the public" shoots? I think it would be a great way to bring in some business and maybe get them some new members.

I have also considered the idea of sponsoring turkey shoots at Myrtle Grove with an open to the public shoot day for a few hours, wonder how that would go over though since it's a state property. I'd like to do something for a benefit like American Society or something, who knows.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I finally got a reply from David, and this about sums up the previous question:

Thank you for your email about the Myrtle Grove Shooting Range. As you mention in your email it is not possible to conduct a “Turkey Shoot” or any other type of privately sponsored or managed event at the Myrtle Grove Range. The shooting range is restricted to public use only and is only closed to the public for agency (DNR) sponsored events, managed hunt shooting qualifications, or internal trainings and qualifications. Also privately sponsored and managed events either for profit or for charity are not permitted at Myrtle Grove or on the Myrtle Grove Shooting Range. Please let me know if you have any additional questions about this.

Thank You,
    Dave Heilmeier

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County
    there are many.

I know this is an old thread, however my father and I were just talking about how we used to go every sunday and should start going again. Seeing as how Ridge is a haul does anyone know if the one in mechanicsville and the one in loveville in the link provided are still active turkey shoots?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom