• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    So after staring at the ammo case in Walmart for half an hour, finally bit on the $5 box of Tullammo .223

Now, I have a piston AR (Stag Mdl 8) and all reviews I have seen tell me I can run this, albeit its less accurate/consistent, a bit dirtier, and I can't recycle the brass well because they aren't brass cases.....

I put all 20 rounds downrange rapid fire, with no issues.

Is there any reason, (outside of just an opinion) why I shouldn't use it besides what is noted above? Ammo is getting expensive and I like shooting, but do not want to go broke.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    some people's rifles have issues with jamming and FTE with steel cased ammo...if yours runs it you have a cheaper alternative. Mine run the steel case no problems so I just have to clean a little more....

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    If you're just plinking at 100 yards you probably won't even notice the difference, stretch it out to 200 yards and your groups will open up a few inches and you may even have a few flyers.

I've had much better experience with Tula 308 than their 223. I've never had an issue with steel casings in any of my guns.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    So after staring at the ammo case in Walmart for half an hour, finally bit on the $5 box of Tullammo .223

Now, I have a piston AR (Stag Mdl 8) and all reviews I have seen tell me I can run this, albeit its less accurate/consistent, a bit dirtier, and I can't recycle the brass well because they aren't brass cases.....

I put all 20 rounds downrange rapid fire, with no issues.

Is there any reason, (outside of just an opinion) why I shouldn't use it besides what is noted above? Ammo is getting expensive and I like shooting, but do not want to go broke.

No reason at all not to if it works in your rifle. I shoot it whenever I use an outdoor range as indoor ranges don't allow it. I also don't see any major issues with accuracy, I can group well with it out to 100yds.

GRAY GHOST

The 43rd
    Jul 24, 2012
    C.S.A.
    nope never had a problem with it. but once i get my acog i may change,or at lease try some diff. sorry for the noob question but why no steel at indoor ranges?

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    Have over 2000 rounds of Tula and Wolf thru my Sig 516 with no issues. Just clean really good after each range session as it is a little dirty.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    I've never had an issue cycling, and the accuracy isn't as good as the more expensive stuff, but it's great to blast in bulk.

The one thing I heard that hasn't been mentioned yet is that if you're going to mix brass and steel case in the same session that you should shoot the brass first because it expands and makes a better seal in the chamber. The steel doesn't and fouling can get into the chamber, then if you use brass it will expand and possibly get hung up during extraction. Can't swear it's true, but it makes sense so I've always done it that way and never had an issue.

Buy a small amount, make sure it works well in your rifle, then go to town!

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    If it works shoot it. I've shot several hundred rounds of Tula 223 and wolf 223. Still on zero malfunctions for both my ARs after thousands of rounds.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    The issue is not the ammo. The main issue is your rifle. If it doesn't feed ANY SAAMI spec ammo Tula Wolf Herters the stuff you dug out of the ground then your rifle has an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom