• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    nope never had a problem with it. but once i get my acog i may change,or at lease try some diff. sorry for the noob question but why no steel at indoor ranges?

The bullet itself is mild steel jacketed with a copper coating. Ranges claim it eats up their backstops worse than copper FMJ. No idea as to the veracity of that statement, but it's their reasoning.

Also, has anyone tried reloading the steel ammo? A few guys on some other boards I'm on do it for plinking.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    It's funny when guys start claiming these rounds destroyed their precious rifle. If that's the case, all it proved was their build sucked and they should have assembled a stronger package.

That's funny right there. I have a STAG with over 10k of steel cased through it. Hasn't broken an extractor yet and the rifle functions fine. I'm actually surprised the bolt hasn't cracked yet just due to the round count.

The bullet itself is mild steel jacketed with a copper coating. Ranges claim it eats up their backstops worse than copper FMJ. No idea as to the veracity of that statement, but it's their reasoning.

I do know that it does indent (speckle really, because it's diffuse) armor plate. You can see where the projectile fragmented like a copper jacketed bullet would, but it makes the surface of the armor plate a bit rough by dimpling it just the slightest little bit.

I haven't noticed any real structural issues because of it, but I haven't hit my steel targets with the volume an indoor range would see. Especially not with bi-metal projectiles.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    On a side note, I put some of this stuff through simulated tissue (gallon jugs filled with wet newspaper) and it does not fragment at all. The hollow points do not expand. You could see the bullets were bent from tumbling.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Walmart stocked up on a bunch of it during their Black Friday event. I picked up 200 rounds.

My plan is to start supplementing it when I go to the range to keep my brass supply from falling too quickly.

Really appreciate all the feedback on this, just now know I have to do the "extra clean" cleaning. Which will spur my next thread.... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom