• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • which one

• Total voters

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    Yea I like walking in and not having to wait for that first bit of light to be able to shoot. IMO its also easier walking in with light and walking out at night then vice versa...

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Im pretty sure I have killed all my deer in the afternoon/evenings. Ive seen some in the mornings but they werent close enough for a bow shot or at a bad place to shoot, like right behind me in the morning sun...lol

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    well as luck would have it, the field adjacent to me is a farm which had the harvester running from 3 till dark...

back at it tomorrow am..

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Killed my best archery buck to date at 12 noon when the farm next to us was being cut (corn). They came from that field, right past my stand, a hot doe with a beauty of a buck close on her tail... lol

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I can't say for sure as I was about 200yds from that side of our property and it's pretty thick woods, so I didn't actually seem em jump the fence out of the field there, but it's a good bet that they were chasin around over in that corn and headed out as it started getting mowed down around em.. lol

I have hunted as the farmer cut hay, or alfalfa in the field near one of my stands.. the deer don't mind... as he comes over the hill, they wander back into the brush, head back out as he passes for another lap to the other end of the field. Kinda funny to watch em play chicken with the tractor.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Gonna be cold tomorrow, kinda wish I had my blind setup, but I don't.. hope it's not too breezy in the morning..

I may load it up tonite in the truck and see if I can set it up after we hunt the early part of the day. Need to build a goose blind for the front field too, gonna be a long day.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    Gonna be cold tomorrow, kinda wish I had my blind setup, but I don't.. hope it's not too breezy in the morning..

I may load it up tonite in the truck and see if I can set it up after we hunt the early part of the day. Need to build a goose blind for the front field too, gonna be a long day.

Im trying to talk myself into getting up early again and sitting in 20 dg coldness.....

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    Instead of opening a new thread Ill just ask here.

Tomorrow is supposed to be windy (20-30mph) winds.

Is this a sign of a bad day to hunt?

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    It's best to hunt whenever you can.

Deer typically won't move around too much when it is windy because wind reduces the efficacy of their two greatest lines of defense: smell and hearing. But, the wind won't blow forever and if you're out there when the wind dies down for a little while the deer might come out.

I realize you're mainly asking about your stand situation, but if it is really windy it's a good time to switch tactics and try still hunting (very slowly moving through the woods, and pausing frequently, not sitting still). Only move when the wind blows to cover your sound. Make sure you're walking into the direction the wind is coming from. Be very observant. You might be able to sneak up on a deer that is bedded down in a thicket or something.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    Im pretty sure I have killed all my deer in the afternoon/evenings. Ive seen some in the mornings but they werent close enough for a bow shot or at a bad place to shoot, like right behind me in the morning sun...lol

I like to hunt the evening too. Mainly cause I know when it's time to get out of the stand. With a morning hunt you just don't know if you waited long enough to climb out of the stand or to stay longer cause that big buck will walk by in ten more mins.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Op. Sounds like your biggest problem is wind. Hunting in or near guts, cuts, gullies and or reveans can be dicy at best. They have their own wind currents. I would find someplace near that trail that may be flatter or less contoured to put the stand/blind up. Someplace where the wind is a little more consistent. As far as best time to hunt, anytime the wind is right. IMHO.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    saw 3 deer tonight. my new stand placement works well. I did try and take a shot at the last deer I saw. It was about 35 yards out and I had to lean way out of the stand to try and bend to get a shot. Missed what looks like by about 6 inches. Which is fine. Id rather miss by 6 or hit completely in a good shot area. I wanted to be able to at least take the shot so I wasnt kicking myself in the morning. I wish it was rifle season because I would have walked out with my first deer...frustrating but at least I saw something and my stand works now.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    It is very frustrating for a while... takes time to become proficient at making a kill shot from a stand (you should practice from a similarly elevated position), takes time to learn what you can and can't get away with, how to best position yourself, given the current conditions and travel routes (which are frequently changing) and to learn the patterns and routes on your property at different times of the season.

The exhilaration that comes when you finally make that first perfect shot and take home the meat is hard to describe. It took me several years to take my first bowkill, back when there were not a lot of deer around where I hunted. That evening I slung that dripping bloody (just field dressed as it was early season) button buck over my shoulders, grabbed my bow and stand and walked out a half mile to the truck.. never even breathed hard.. the adrenaline was still pumping.. LMAO

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    It is very frustrating for a while... takes time to become proficient at making a kill shot from a stand (you should practice from a similarly elevated position), takes time to learn what you can and can't get away with, how to best position yourself, given the current conditions and travel routes (which are frequently changing) and to learn the patterns and routes on your property at different times of the season.

The exhilaration that comes when you finally make that first perfect shot and take home the meat is hard to describe. It took me several years to take my first bowkill, back when there were not a lot of deer around where I hunted. That evening I slung that dripping bloody (just field dressed as it was early season) button buck over my shoulders, grabbed my bow and stand and walked out a half mile to the truck.. never even breathed hard.. the adrenaline was still pumping.. LMAO

I think the venison tastes better in the ones you kill yourself:)

john_bud

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Initially you listed stand height at 18 ft. That's way low for a public area or one with high pressure. 30-35 ft is closer to what is NEEDED to keep the deer from seeing you.

Wind will also move your scent and dilute it more such that deer in your shooting range can't easily wind you.

Hold steady and release smooooothly. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom