• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Is there really a screen name on here by the name of Lou45's attorney? lol Like I told Mopar and 6Den today, it is hard enough putting faces to screen names, but then I have to put names to faces and screen names to faces and screen names to names. My brain is about to splode. Then, when I write in public on here to somebody I know by face and name, I have to remember to use their screen name so I don't out their secret identity. Too much pressure. I'm going to crack. lol

I'll jus' keep ya' in s'spense.:D

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Fabs,

Sorry I can't be there tomorrow. I'll be down at Holy Rosary for a porchetta lunch and homebrew wine-tasting.

JoeR

No need to apologize.

However, now I am salivating. No idea why though. Going to go raid the pepperoni my wife just bought to make sausage bread for Thanksgiving. She is going to be pissed at me in the morning. Might have to stop at Harris Teeter on the way home after shooting tomorrow to replace what I eat. Hopefully, she doesn't notice before I get the replacements in place.

Send me some pics. It will be good to see Casa Italiana and Holy Rosary. I can still remember when they built the hall next to the church. If memory serves me correctly, it used to be a parking lot. The FBI building across the street used to be a parking lot too.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Tony, if you have never shot trap before and for anyone else who is just looking to pick up a few extra targets, read through this article a few times. It is written by Jack Bart (local shotgun instructor and gun shop owner in Glen Burnie) and really breaks down the game of trap in to three shots. It will be a little confusing if you have never been on the trap line before, but after you have tried this game today you can go back and read it again. It will make much more sense then.

At any rate, while trapshooting may look simple, there are 95 million different ways of doing things and none of them are wrong. The problem is that most trapshooters are much better shooters than they are instructors and almost all trapshooters love to share their methods. Too much info creates confusion and with trap using the KISS method normally prevails.

Jacks recommendations about set up (foot position, gun hold position, and eye position (focal point) are very basic and can call be tweaked to personal preference and whatever works for you.

His 3 shot trap theory is spot on and works in every case and there is no tweaking needed here (there is literally no exception to this). If you do nothing else, pay especially close attention to what he says about focusing on the LEFT EDGE of the TARGET on stations 1 and 2, the CENTER of the Target on station 3, and the RIGHT EDGE of the TARGET on stations 4 and 5. Shooting a shotgun is far different and quite frankly much easier than shooting a rifle/pistol. There are no sights to worry about, you simply focus on the target and if your gun fits you properly, it will shoot were you are looking every time. Again, no exceptions to that rule.

check it out here.

http://shotgunlife.blogspot.com/2009/04/3-shot-trap-shooting.html

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    Thank you for the link, I'll read it now. I'm looking forward to this afternoon.

Do we have a rendezvous point?

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Thank you for the link, I'll read it now. I'm looking forward to this afternoon.

Do we have a rendezvous point?

Tony,

Where you get there, there will likely be quite a few cars as they are having a league shoot. You are going to want to pull your car to the very far end of the parking lot. According to Lou, the practice traps are all the way down on the left hand side near the treeline. See you then.

BTW, if you can find shells at Walmart, then great, just don't pay more than $7 per box ($28 for the value pack). I always have extra shells in my car and I will make sure there are enough for you to shoot and give to Fabs. I think you can also buy a flat (10 boxes of Rio's) at CCGC for $63.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Me too. Too much thanksgiving prep to do.

Maybe mopar can use Tony's 20?

What the heck? I pulled a 20 gauge out of the safe for you and was bringing that box of 20 that you gave me so you could shoot it.

I am bringing three 12 gauge guns. One for me, one for Tony B., and one for Mopar92.

Does anybody else need a gun? I think I can pack up another 12 gauge or two, and a full size 20 gauge. Also, have a "youth" model 20 gauge too, or as SNI likes to call it, "bantam weight".

Leaving in about 30 minutes, so ask now or forever hold your _____________.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    That sucks. Hope you feel better quick.

My lower back was bothering me last night. Luckily for me, it resolved with some sleep. Going to see if I can screw it back up this afternoon.

Thanks, one of the hazards of aging and very hard play in my youth.

What the heck? I pulled a 20 gauge out of the safe for you and was bringing that box of 20 that you gave me so you could shoot it.

I am bringing three 12 gauge guns. One for me, one for Tony B., and one for Mopar92.

Does anybody else need a gun? I think I can pack up another 12 gauge or two, and a full size 20 gauge. Also, have a "youth" model 20 gauge too, or as SNI likes to call it, "bantam weight".

Leaving in about 30 minutes, so ask now or forever hold your _____________.

I found the perfect O/U for her, CZ "The Redhead" 20ga that can be had with a shorter stock. As Lou says, she'll never outgrow it.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Just got back from CCGC and we (TonyB, MEGARMS, Fabs, NY Transplant, and I) had a really great time chootin' those li'l red round thinggys that go up in'na' sky. The day was so nice to be out trap chootin'. It was TonyB's first time out, actually the first time he ever handled a shotgun and well, and it showed. When he first saw the shotgun shells his reaction was something of the sorts of "Those are some funny lookin' boolots". After briefing him on some pointers, he wanted the targets to stay still so he could get accurate shots. After we finally convinced him that the "targets" always moved and we shoot at them while they're moving, apparently a lightbulb lit up in his head and he finally got the message. He shot 4 or 5 rounds today and broke a 17 on one of them, super good for a first timer. Now he's pissed at us cuz he now has to get a nice shotgun to feed his newly acquired addictive habit. :D

Welcome to the club TonyB.:thumbsup:

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    I wish you guys would have told me ahead of time that I had to shoot at moving birds. This game would be so much easier with stationary targets.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I wish you guys would have told me ahead of time that I had to shoot at moving birds. This game would be so much easier with stationary targets.

If it was so much easier, then it wouldn't be as much of a challenge. If it isn't a challenge, it wouldn't be as much fun.

Funny thing is, today is the first time this year that I have really gotten my head into the game. I was able to crank up my concentration level on the last round. Reminded me of the good old days when I took every single clay disc seriously and was able to block out everything else going on around me, versus taking about 1 out of 10 seriously nowadays.

Guys, I had a great time today. It was a good break from work, and I needed the break. Always good to take a break with good people and to smell some burnt gunpowder while taking a break.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Fabs, I know exactly whacha' mean with the concentration aspect, when I really get into that focused frame of mind, my scores reflect as such.

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    Now look what ya'll made me do. Picked this up tody from another member. CZ Redhead Deluxe.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      111.2 KB · Views: 113

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Now look what ya'll made me do. Picked this up tody from another member. CZ Redhead Deluxe.

Well that took less than a week. I plan on shooting at AGC on Sunday at noon. Feel free to stop up. If you are a member, then it is only $3 per round. If you are not a member, then you should become one.

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    Thanks for the invite but i cant make it Sunday. Might try to make it to PGTSC tomorrow just to make it go bang.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom