• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The only issue is the AG contradicts himself when he says "it (4-203) would have no bearing on a firearm being transported through MD." That would indicate FOPA only apples when driving through the state, even if if the origin and destination are not both in MD. The question is which part of the opinion is correct.?

I am attaching an additional unofficial opinion that says an affirmative defense utilizing FOPA MAY not be legal in MD because according to the AG in MD you cannot "posses and carry" as mandated for both origin and destination requirements in FOPA

What a mess. My plan is in MD I will use the allowed exceptions in 4-203, not FOPA. My opinion is if a MD LEO assumes if you have MD tags you are not going through nor are you allowed to "carry and posses" off your property as the AG opinion states.

Pretty dicey if you ask me.

IANAL

opinions attached.

Attachments

• MDSCRuling_on_loan.pdf
      227.2 KB · Views: 172
    • MD AG ruling FOPA.pdf
      30.2 KB · Views: 163
    • MD AG opinion on travel 4-203.pdf
      15.4 KB · Views: 165

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    The only issue is the AG contradicts himself when he says "it (4-203) would have no bearing on a firearm being transported through MD." That would indicate FOPA only apples when driving through the state, even if if the origin and destination are not both in MD. The question is which part of the opinion is correct.?

I am attaching an additional unofficial opinion that says an affirmative defense utilizing FOPA MAY not be legal in MD because according to the AG in MD you cannot "posses and carry" as mandated for both origin and destination requirements in FOPA

What a mess. My plan is in MD I will use the allowed exceptions in 4-203, not FOPA. My opinion is if a MD LEO assumes if you have MD tags you are not going through nor are you allowed to "carry and posses" off your property as the AG opinion states.

IANAL

opinions attached.

Bowen is assuming that you are carrying outside your home as your "point of origin" and that is not true if you are starting out from your home

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Bowen is assuming that you are carrying outside your home as your "point of origin" and that is not true if you are starting out from your home

So what if you are starting out from the gun store? While you can transport the firearm, it allows your origin or destination to be your home. So what is permissible if you pick up your repaired firearm and decide to go to the NRA range?

I'm confused even more now.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick

That's what I was hoping...

Still won't become a test case though... I can't afford real legal advice, that's why I come here! :innocent0

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    So what if you are starting out from the gun store? While you can transport the firearm, it allows your origin or destination to be your home. So what is permissible if you pick up your repaired firearm and decide to go to the NRA range?

Place of purchase and place if repair are reasons to transport. See esqapellates attachment (3) on page 2

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    My concern is that the AG opinion says FOPA MAY not cover you and it doesn't stipulate your residence. He says "carry and possess" in MD imay not be legal without specifying any exceptions.

He can still prosecute you. Not likely but who knows?

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

I personally would have no problem with going from the gun store/repairshop and going directly to the range.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    My concern is that the AG opinion says FOPA MAY not cover you and it doesn't stipulate your residence. He says "carry and possess" in MD imay not be legal without specifying any exceptions.

FOPA never covers you if both your point of origin and your point of destination are in MD. FOPA covers only interstate transportation.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo

Perhaps we could solicite an answer from MD with the specific example of leaving from home to go to VA/PA where your UT permit is legal? Of course the return trip home, too, where you are coming into maryland from outside with your home as destination.

Mr H

Banana'd

I'd say to follow FOPA.

Well, I am assumiong in your hypothetical that, with the NRA Range in VA, the "gun store" is in MD...

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Me neither. 4-203 allows it. FOPA? who knows?

FOPA doesn't matter in your example. FOPA merely creates an affirmative defense to any charges that could be brought under a state's law. So if the state allows it, FOPA never comes into play.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay

IANAL

opinions attached.

How about driving from MD to a range in VA?
    I have a friend in VA and we want to shoot at his range.
    I told him if he wants to shoot here at my range, not to chance it, he can use my pistols.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Going from MD to a range ANYWHERE is legal according to 4-203. One problem with asserting FOPA is if you are stopped in MD. How do you prove you were going Interstate? When a cop stops you in MD you are in limbo IMO. You are carrying and possesing in MD w/o a permit but engaged in a permitted 4-203 activity. If I'm in MD, I'm sticking to having a legal reason (4-203) to be transporting. Of course if your weapon is locked up according to FOPA how would a LEO know you are carrying without a search, which I would not permit under any circumstances.

My head is spinning. I need a cold Sam.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    Going from MD to a range ANYWHERE is legal according to 4-203. One problem with asserting FOPA is if you are stopped in MD. How do you prove you were going Interstate? When a cop stops you in MD you are in limbo IMO. You are carrying and possesing in MD w/o a permit but engaged in a permitted 4-203 activity. If I'm in MD, I'm sticking to having a legal reason (4-203) to be transporting. Of course if your weapon is locked up according to FOPA how would a LEO know you are carrying without a search, which I would not permit under any circumstances.

This :lol: Best idea all day!

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland

just spin the opposite direction. it will even out. hahaha.

Andras

Aug 12, 2008
    Charles Co.
    Before heading to VA, call the NRA range and ask what their hours are. Keep a print out of direction in your car too.

If you should get pulled over, there's your destination.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Having drivng directions in your car doesn't prove much of anything, Anyone can put directions in their car and still have a nefarious purpose in mind. But I guess it's all we've got. I think going or coming from a gun store is another good and allowed reason as you can state "I didn't find what I wanted."

Esq said the burden is on you because you are claiming an allowed exception. My plan is locked, unloaded in my vehicle and not being opened for anyone without a search warrant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom