• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    1) Take time and shoot slowly, working on the fundamentals.

2) Take a class or spend time with a coach to fix bad habits you have developed.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    A 1 on 1 private lesson with a trainer with a good eye works wonders. Even just an hour. Especially if you aren't worried about speed. Accuracy is pretty easy to improve.

F2S

Oct 24, 2013
    As others have said work on the basic fundamentals. Grip, stance, trigger pull. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Once you get the fundamentals down then you can work on other stuff. Muscle memory will come into play once you get past the fundamentals and move onto other drills.

Don't be afraid to go back to basics either. I recently have been having issues with my trigger pull. I was anticipating and had a poor grip. An instructor loaded my mags with live rounds and dummy rounds and then have me the mag. This helped me tremendously. He also had me practice dry fire for a smooth trigger pull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    If you're unsure, find a trainer. The last thing you need to do is start with bad habits from the beginning. I can't help you on the trainer part, but I would recommend anyone who can help you with the fundamentals.

Good Luck!

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    A 1 on 1 private lesson with a trainer with a good eye works wonders. Even just an hour. Especially if you aren't worried about speed. Accuracy is pretty easy to improve.

Yep, this exactly.

Most instructors 1 on 1 can help you with accuracy, its fundamental stuff. Helps to have an experienced shooter coach you with it though, but can be improved on your own.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    for accuracy you need good fundamentals (grip and stance) and then a nice smooth trigger pull. look for some todd jarrett youtubes i think he has some on grip and stance. dry fire at home helps with all of this and the trigger pull. line up your sights on a "target" across the room, take up the trigger slack, then slowly pull until it "fires" and see if your sights remain on target. if not, do it slower/smoother until that front sight remains locked on the target before, during and after you pull the trigger.

when you're at the range actually shooting, wear both earplugs and muffs as loud noises can cause folks to develop a flinch.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    To figure out what you need to work on (what you are doing wrong) first you must do the same thing every time. Once you are doing the same thing every time, then something can be corrected.

The first thing most new shooters do wrong, is try to "correct" each shot by doing something different on the next shot.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    Need the basics
    1. good stance - stable and comfortable
    2. good grip
    3. trigger control
    4. Breath control
    5. good follow through

and as my instructor told me. Aim small - shoot small. Aim for small targets like the size of a dime at 3yards, then go 5, 10, and 15 yards. Take your tiime between shoots. When your arms get tired and they will at first. put the gun down.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Need the basics
    1. good stance - stable and comfortable
    2. good grip
    3. trigger control
    4. Breath control
    5. good follow through

and as my instructor told me. Aim small - shoot small. Aim for small targets like the size of a dime at 3yards, then go 5, 10, and 15 yards. Take your tiime between shoots. When your arms get tired and they will at first. put the gun down.

Sight alignment and trigger control are in the top two priorities.

Also controlling the Arc of Motion is important. We are living beings, so we move, just by existing.

I've helped a ton of people now with these fundamentals, most people (beginners) I can help tremendously in about 30 or so minutes. One hour with a beginner typically takes them from complete novice, to decently accurate slow fire, safe shooter.

Most good instructors know and can teach this in a easy going manner.

Half of what to look for in an instructor is someone who is technically competent and proficient, the other half is someone who can work with a variety of different people and coach them in a way that is safe, fun and maximizes training time together.

Last edited:

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    I use 1" dot drills to work my pistol basics. 3 yards to start and then back it up from there once you can consistently get 100% hits. I made a sheet myself in microsoft word. There is a huge number of drills you can do with a sheet of paper filled with rows of 1" dots.

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    I use 1" dot drills to work my pistol basics. 3 yards to start and then back it up from there once you can consistently get 100% hits. I made a sheet myself in microsoft word. There is a huge number of drills you can do with a sheet of paper filled with rows of 1" dots.

I like this idea. Did you just use regular 8.5 by 11 paper?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom