• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    Under the federal LEOSA guidelines, I have to requalify every year. Morning classroom and range in the afternoon.

Just curious...

In the "classroom" portion, do they present something "new" each time? Or do the just make you sit there, while they re-hash the same information year after year after year?

torched02

Rottie's Rule!
    May 6, 2013
    If you applied before for your CCW prior to the Oct 1st law going into effect then you are not required to have the new training requirement. My app. was received in Pikesville on 08/06, MSP phone interview on 9/18, CCW received in the mail on 11/15.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    If you applied before for your CCW prior to the Oct 1st law going into effect then you are not required to have the new training requirement. My app. was received in Pikesville on 08/06, MSP phone interview on 9/18, CCW received in the mail on 11/15.

Did you apply as a business owner?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

forkauto

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Sep 26, 2013
    Hampstead, Md
    They received my app on 9/26 so hopefully I will get the interview soon. Im a business owner so it shouldn't be a problem.....but who knows

gmkoh

Feb 26, 2013
    Annapolis
    This is the first I am hearing of this. Why was there not a HUGE outcry about this? A 2-3 days course is not going to be cheap in addition to the time it will take away from work to attend such a class. Just another way for the state to stick their fist up our collective asses.

I really don't know how much more I can take. This BS is making me sick.

I remember a significant amount of time debating over the training for the CC permit. Bringing up other states requirements, security company requirements, etc, BUT what I remember most was one female delegate from Montgomery county telling the assembly that she didn't feel the requirement was excessive, "after all", she said, "when I worked in a mall jewelry kiosk, I had to have FOUR HOURS OF TRAINING TO USE THE EAR PIERCING GUN".. [emphasis added].

is anyone other than leo and military actually getting a permit these days? not interviews, actual permits.

I don't think that LEO Military got any special handling for concealed carry- they are exempt from the HQL, but I don't remember any special consideration or exemptions for LEO or military- am I wrong?

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    I don't think that LEO Military got any special handling for concealed carry- they are exempt from the HQL, but I don't remember any special consideration or exemptions for LEO or military- am I wrong?

As I noted on the second page of this thread, the law contains exceptions to the 16/8-hour requirements for: any current or "retired in good standing" law enforcement officer; any "member, retired member, or honorably discharged member of the Armed Forces of the United States or the National Guard"; and any "qualified handgun instructor."

In addition, and perhaps most importantly, there is also exception for anyone who "has completed a firearms training course approved by the Secretary [of the Maryland State Police]." Thus, the Secretary has the legal authority to determine that any given applicant has received a "course" of training sufficient to qualify, and in such a case, the 16/8 hour requirements do not apply.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

I never heard military getting a CC permit for the mere fact they are military.

gmkoh

Feb 26, 2013
    Annapolis
    As I noted on the second page of this thread, the law contains exceptions to the 16/8-hour requirements for: any current or "retired in good standing" law enforcement officer; any "member, retired member, or honorably discharged member of the Armed Forces of the United States or the National Guard"; and any "qualified handgun instructor."

In addition, and perhaps most importantly, there is also exception for anyone who "has completed a firearms training course approved by the Secretary [of the Maryland State Police]." Thus, the Secretary has the legal authority to determine that any given applicant has received a "course" of training sufficient to qualify, and in such a case, the 16/8 hour requirements do not apply.

Woohoo! Now all I need is a good and substantial reason....:mad54:

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    This may sound like a dumb question but I've called MSP three times and haven't gotten an answer. Is it safe to assume that the 16 hours of training has to be completed before submitting the application? I'd hate to spend the time and money only to be denied a permit.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    This may sound like a dumb question but I've called MSP three times and haven't gotten an answer. Is it safe to assume that the 16 hours of training has to be completed before submitting the application? I'd hate to spend the time and money only to be denied a permit.

Yes, you must complete the training prior to submission or they will send it back to you.

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    That's what I thought. I had all of my paperwork ready last spring but never submitted it. 'DOH!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom