• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I just read the transcript of a podcast from CCWSafe, and the trainer in question made some very interesting points. Older students don't have the time, stamina or maybe money to take a 16 hr two day class in real-world CCW training. However, that market would be well served by taking the elements of such a class, breaking them into 4-hr chunks, paying as you go.

I'll paste a relevant passage, and try to provide a link for the whole article:

Karl Rehn:

I get a lot of students that are 65 plus and that’s one of the things, as he and I talked, I said the thing for him is he’s not going to be doing Brazilian jujitsu in the parking lot with some dude. He’s not going to outrun some 18-year-old that’s trying to stab him with a screwdriver to get his wallet or his car keys. And it does affect tactics and it affects, I think, the timing of even when you pull the gun, when you put your hand on your gun, when you let somebody know that you have a gun. Because if you know that your draw time is two seconds and not the Instagram one second, whip it out and get the one perfect take to claim the record second draw. If you know your real-world draw is two seconds, that’s going to change how you act in situations.

And luckily, disparity of force is a concept that’s certainly respected here in Texas. And older people that have less physical skills, absolutely it should encourage them to carry more often and to train, particularly with accuracy, you may not have the fastest draw, but you still need to get the best hit first as best you can. Mainly I just get disappointed because I have all my old records from 30 years ago and I can say, “I used to be able to run this drill at this time, and now the best I can do is this much.” And part of it is practice time, to be honest, to really get to that level, you have to pretty much be obsessed and practice every day, dry fire every day and shoot multiple times a week, and shoot a thousand rounds a month or 2000 rounds a month or a thousand rounds per practice session, like I used to do, and money and time and all those things.

Life stacks up and that’s one of the things that affected the way I run my training business is realizing over time the whole training business model in the US, for the most part, is built on this idea that young men, mostly with some young women that are all maybe in the 30 to 50 year old age range with disposable money and time have $500 to $800 that they can devote to a two day all weekend, all-encompassing course. And the lack of shorter courses offered at a similar level is a very big impediment. Going back to the reason I’m here, why don’t a lot of people train? People have jobs, they have kids, they have hobbies, they have other things they have to get done on a weekend and a lot of people don’t have $3,500 or they don’t have $800 to go to a two or three-day road class.

They got a hundred bucks and four hours and if there’s nothing there that fits that time and budget, they’re not going to do it. And that’s going back to your question Don, older people do not have the endurance, physical endurance to get through some two or three-day classes. My 80-year-old student, bless his heart, after five hours of our six-hour course, he didn’t pass the final shooting test. And when I offered him a reshoot, he said, “No, I’ll come back another day when I’m fresh and I’m rested and I’ve done some practice and I know I can pass your test, but I can’t pass your test today being tired and worn out like I am now.” And I said, “Great.” He’s going to come back when he’s rested and ready and well-prepared. And I have no doubt that he would pass that test. But he also had the good sense to say, “I’m done for today. I’m worn out.”

I for one would welcome such a setup, done locally.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I think some local people might be doing something along those lines for the MD W&C. Can't recall. His business model is pretty solid. One thing I'd add, though, is that, at a certain point of age, people have MORE time and $ to throw at this, not less. It's the same for many other "hobbies" (mountain biking comes to mind), where my own experience is that people of a certain age (not sure what that is, and obviously it's different for everyone) have some disposable income, the kids don't have to watched incessantly, etc.

Karl is a good dude, and I've trained with him. He'll be in Culpeper VA in June for 3 days of classes, hosted by FPF Training. I'll be there at least one of those days.

Slumy__57

May 18, 2018
    Hampstead MD
    I personally wouldn't have been interested in the class occupying 4 days, but the format I did was definitely a lot to get through, and I could see people benefiting from it being broken up more.

In a perfect world, training wouldn't be a requirement, and instructors could focus on making their classes useful, accessible, and tailored to specific groups of people, rather than filling some arbitrary guidelines set by the state. I could have benefited much more from some meaningful range time instead of learning about the mechanical functions of a revolver, and how to safely store guns inthe home.

Jimgoespewpew

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2021
    Terlingua
    Older or younger, 16 HOURS is a big hurdle and it's there for a reason, infringement. As a husband and father of two young ones, I'm here to tell you it wasn't easy to get my wife to accept that I'd be gone all day on a Saturday and Sunday for the class. She works fifty hours per week too.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I found his run-on sentences difficult to interpret. I will try again tomorrow.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I think some local people might be doing something along those lines for the MD W&C. Can't recall. His business model is pretty solid. One thing I'd add, though, is that, at a certain point of age, people have MORE time and $ to throw at this, not less. It's the same for many other "hobbies" (mountain biking comes to mind), where my own experience is that people of a certain age (not sure what that is, and obviously it's different for everyone) have some disposable income, the kids don't have to watched incessantly, etc.

Karl is a good dude, and I've trained with him. He'll be in Culpeper VA in June for 3 days of classes, hosted by FPF Training. I'll be there at least one of those days.
    GBRS is doing a 3 day class with Eddie Gallagher down at his place in Florida. Bunkhouse, catered meals, 9mm and 556 ammo included for $3,000. They sold out in 9 minutes on black Friday. Pretty sure those aren't "older folks" throwing money at it. lol

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I wasn't overly specific.

My own experience across, let's face it, a lot of open enrollment classes, is that they are MOSTLY filled with white dudes ages 35-55. And that hasn't really differed whether we're talking about Paul Howe, Tom Givens, Bill Rapier, etc. Most twenty-somethings don't have the $.

They aren't OLD old, but just old-er. If that makes sense.

If you go, I'd love to hear about the age bracket of most of those present.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Just to add:

These are not just my observations. Other fellow students have noticed it too. And in talking with some of the instructors, they have of course noted it as well. Many would love to have a bunch of fit 25 year olds who are already switched on come through the classes. They don't. So then the instructors have to adjust accordingly for the 65 year old who needs a winch to stand up.

I know you've publicly entertained the thought of hanging out your shingle. If you do, be prepared for your fair share of middle aged dudes with some geezers thrown in.

I'm sure some instructors attract a younger crowd. Will Petty comes to mind, but even in that class there were dudes older/less skilled/much less fit than me. GBRS might attract a younger crowd and be the new "it", but in five years they won't be the new hotness and will be having to tone things down so they can get their bills paid.

I made the mountain biking reference because, when I raced, I found the 40-49 crowd put up faster times than the 20-29 or 30-39 groups. Why? They have the $ for great bikes and the time to ride all the time. So even though no 40 year old should be faster than a 20 year old, they were. Consistently. No 40 year old goes to Ranger school or competes in the Olympics on the track. But in "real life", they do quite well.

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    I have been wanting some add on training to the mandatory 16 hours. I am not looking for something that tries to make me a John Wick clone. I am not running. I am not diving. If I need to dive to the ground to save my life so be it, but I am not going through the days aftermath in my joints for the training.

I want something that is shooting, but that can discuss options, ways to be prepared and such. My joints will not handle an all day "go go go" type situation.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    This whole thread is what my training concept would also have. In addition to the standard fare, having training that can be geared to older and couples.

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    This whole thread is what my training concept would also have. In addition to the standard fare, having training that can be geared to older and couples.
    Let me know when you are ready to take my money. :)

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    My limitation is property, if I am able to find my own location there are many many ideas for training to develop to include all ability, including physical and age related, abilities.

TD

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I'm in. Some ideas for openers:

Open with gun concealment/holsters, move to draw/fire, point shooting. Run scenarios to acquaint the uninitiated in situational awareness. Move the encounter gradually closer to the hgp holder.

I just wanna avoid a problem, or know how to deal with it with my hopefully improving level of skill and competence. Three or four hour blocks, maybe every other week.

Individual training optional, perhaps. In keeping with the spirit (and flesh) of the vintage student, hopefully not much more than an hour drive each way would be helpful.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I'm in. Some ideas for openers:

Open with gun concealment/holsters, move to draw/fire, point shooting. Run scenarios to acquaint the uninitiated in situational awareness. Move the encounter gradually closer to the hgp holder.

I just wanna avoid a problem, or know how to deal with it with my hopefully improving level of skill and competence. Three or four hour blocks, maybe every other week.

Individual training optional, perhaps. In keeping with the spirit (and flesh) of the vintage student, hopefully not much more than an hour drive each way would be helpful.
    Exactly this plus what about, say, a person with some disabilities that hinder their getting around. Let’s say a fake hip and s fake ankle and permanent nerve damage that greatly reduces their balance but they’re still mobile enough to drive and work every day and do some grocery shopping and goes out and about as best he can on weekends with his wife? Oh and gets tired easily from say some cancer

What could be worked out for a person like that

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Exactly this plus what about, say, a person with some disabilities that hinder their getting around. Let’s say a fake hip and s fake ankle and permanent nerve damage that greatly reduces their balance but they’re still mobile enough to drive and work every day and do some grocery shopping and goes out and about as best he can on weekends with his wife? Oh and gets tired easily from say some cancer

What could be worked out for a person like that
    Oddly enough, all these factors did not create a good and substantial reason for a citizen to qualify for a permit to carry a handgun.

Apparently MoCo Council found it necessary to underscore this doctrine today with legislation effectively nullifying the Supreme Court's recent decision to the contrary.

It seems presumptuous on our part to attempt to defend ourselves. Nevertheless I'm willing to consider taking my personal safety in hand.

WWNC, as my friend Jeff once put it.

Last edited:

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I've been considering offering this kind of bespoke training myself. There are people out there like my sister. She's a forensics nurse for assault cases...the nasty sort. Meaning she testifies in court. Clear need for a W&C before Bruen. But she doesn't have two 8-hour blocks on a weekend...not with her duties, not with three grandchildren she looks after fairly often.

A bespoke training option, on a one-on-few basis, would work. Yes, it will demand recordkeeping on my part. But it's an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom