• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Glock 19 in a Safariland 6377 w/ UBL 2" drop adapter. Not much nostalgia, but is relatively light, out of the way, on my person and has plenty capacity.
    In the 20 years I've been hiking I've never had a 4-legged issue. Seen some questionable 2-legged types, though.

How has that set up worked with a waist belt on a pack? I havent even tried a drop due to the waist belt issue, I just went straight to the chest pack so I am curious. On day hikes my chest pack and a small camelback with the essentials is all I need. The biggest bonus to the chest pack is that all my trail food is literally right in front of my face :lol2: I also attach my GPS to it, keep a map and compass in there, cell phone in a baggy for water resistance and on long trips I keep enough crap in it for me to get home if I have to dump my pack in an emergency. At first I thought the straps of the chest rig would rub underneath my pack but on the first day of hiking with it I got everything adjusted so its nice and comfortable, it really is a great set up and anyone I come across is oblivious to fact that I cam carrying.

PapiBarcelona. Saying people shouldnt carry bec all they have access to is a static range is complete BS. Mindset, tactics, skill, gear, luck - in that order, the first being the most important by far.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    How do you practice without being able to do it?

You have your opinion, I have mine.

You can dry fire snap caps all day long in your basement, not the same thing. I'm not looking down on anyone, I'm just saying deploying a firearm with your camping gear setup is hard pressed skill set to practice in a public indoor gun range if that's all someone has the ability to do for recreation; for instance.

pilgrim

5109.jpg

Problem with the new Vaqueros is they can't handle the really hot 357 loads like the BH.

Ruger made them more attractive to the CAS, especially the SASS shooters with their mouse fart loads.

9mm is nice when you're teaching a youngster or noobie the way of the Single Action. Cheaper than 38.

That sure is pretty. I think I need two for mouse farts.
    I have the "old" Bisley Vaqueros. I have shot it with hot .357 down to a pitiful amount of Clays under a tiny piece o lead.

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    Glock 19 in a Safariland 6377 w/ UBL 2" drop adapter. Not much nostalgia, but is relatively light, out of the way, on my person and has plenty capacity.
    In the 20 years I've been hiking I've never had a 4-legged issue. Seen some questionable 2-legged types, though.

Why that particular holster?

Thanks.

:thumbsup:

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    niftyvt said:
    How has that set up worked with a waist belt on a pack? I havent even tried a drop due to the waist belt issue, I just went straight to the chest pack so I am curious.
    With the UBL drop, the pistol does not interfere with either of my packs (Kelty MAP 3500 and Osprey Argon 85.) The waist belt on the MAP 3500 rides above my pants belt, so the UBL does not contact the pack's waist belt at all.
    The waist belt on the Osprey rides just at the top of the pants belt. If things aren't situated correctly, the top of the UBL will pinch my skin. Being relatively thin, it is not much of a problem. I would like to work with a kydex bender to come up with a lower profile belt loop system. I have a design in mind that should be better.

niftyvt said:
    On day hikes my chest pack and a small camelback with the essentials is all I need. ... I also attach my GPS to it, keep a map and compass in there, cell phone in a baggy for water resistance and on long trips I keep enough crap in it for me to get home if I have to dump my pack in an emergency. At first I thought the straps of the chest rig would rub underneath my pack but on the first day of hiking with it I got everything adjusted so its nice and comfortable, it really is a great set up...
    The idea of the chest pack is an interesting one. Having essentials on your person is good practice. I use shirt and pants pockets for this. Tru-Spec 24/7 in ripstop are fantastic for hiking. Both of my packs have sternum straps, so I think a chest pack system would interfere.
    niftyvt said:
    ...anyone I come across is oblivious to fact that I cam carrying.
    For this reason, the Wilderness Safepacker was my first solution. I bought one for my G21SF. The best solution I could come up with was attaching it directly to the pack's hip belt. Not a good solution in my mind. Drop the pack, drop the gun.
    I have also considered a dropleg platform with a Tactical Tailor Lunar pouch, to keep the pistol out of view of the common person, yet attached to my body. I don't think this would be comfortable for long hikes and would cover one of my cargo pockets, so I have not pursued the idea further.

Why that particular holster?
    It has the ALS retention system. I wanted a holster that allowed quick access yet was secure while hiking, climbing, sitting, jumping and falling. It was compatible with the UBL drop loop adapter. Safariland holsters have a reputation for being very durable. I was also able to find it in FDE, so it did not stand out as much as a black holster.

I have used this set up for two hikes now. One 3-day hike at about 7-miles/day with the Osprey pack and one 1-day hike at about 12 miles. After about 10 miles, the holster started to feel heavy and weigh on my hip. I attribute this more to the belt; a 5.11 TDU. I chose this belt since my other options were a leather belt or a Galco instructor belt with nylon insert. The Galco is just too much belt and tears up my hide when wearing a pack. Leather gets destroyed with a lot of sweat. I'm going to try a Wilderness instructor belt, 3 or 5 stitch, without an insert and see how that goes.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    The idea of the chest pack is an interesting one. Having essentials on your person is good practice. I use shirt and pants pockets for this. Tru-Spec 24/7 in ripstop are fantastic for hiking. Both of my packs have sternum straps, so I think a chest pack system would interfere.

For this reason, the Wilderness Safepacker was my first solution. I bought one for my G21SF. The best solution I could come up with was attaching it directly to the pack's hip belt. Not a good solution in my mind. Drop the pack, drop the gun.
    I have also considered a dropleg platform with a Tactical Tailor Lunar pouch, to keep the pistol out of view of the common person, yet attached to my body. I don't think this would be comfortable for long hikes and would cover one of my cargo pockets, so I have not pursued the idea further.

The sternum strap on my packs (Arcteryx and Osprey) hasnt been an issue, but I think this will depend on body type and how you like your pack set up. For me my pack belt rides on my pants belt so attaching anything on my waist belt is a no go. My pants belt is a dedicated very low profile belt made for backpacking by EMS, just about every outdoor company makes one, but its definitely to flimsy to attach a holster to. I also load my pockets up but its just with my normal EDC stuff so nothing special there.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    I just looked that up its awesome

For sure: .44 Magnum power, accuracy and range in a handgun. The revolver .44 magnums are just too big and bulky.

$50 LWD will ream Glock 21/30 barrels from .45ACP to .460 Rowland, of course they only have the warranty on their barrels. They also ream out 1911 style firearms, I like the G21 for the extra rounds.

Buffalo Bore has 255gr. hard cast bullet @ 1300 fps or a 230gr. FMJ-FN bullet @ 1350 fps. Great friggin load for the brown bears.

There is a youtube video testing: .45, 10mm, .460 Rowland & .50 hard to follow, but the .460 is badAss.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county

This.

I keep my m1 carbine (paratrooper) for camp, and have a S&W model 65 (357) for hiking. My only polymer is a 9mm and that's just not what I'm looking for. If I still did backpacking I'd have to reevaluate and I like your ideas...

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    My trail gun is a Ruger SP101 .357mag in a Simply Rugged chest rig, or when I need more muscle, a Super Blackhawk in .44mag in the same rig.

redoktober

Whatever you choose, you don't want something that can jam. Sorry, but I think the revolver has the edge here because you can get them chambered in cartidges like the 41 mag, 44 mag, etc.

Let's face it though, when you are talking about a handgun for bear defense you are really just arguing over the degree to which you are inadequately armed to defend yourself.

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    Let's face it though, when you are talking about a handgun for bear defense you are really just arguing over the degree to which you are inadequately armed to defend yourself.

A handgun and one of these...

1.jpg

I'd say your chances are improving. Always think marinecoat for a firearm that will spend a lot of time outdoors.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Whatever you choose, you don't want something that can jam. Sorry, but I think the revolver has the edge here because you can get them chambered in cartidges like the 41 mag, 44 mag, etc.

Revolvers can jam, and malfunction . . . any mechanical device can fail. Personally I would rather have 15 rds plus a 17 rd spare mag than 6-8 shots and a speed strip. And my g19 packs considerable firepower in a lightweight package thats easy to carry, even when I have a loaded pack on.

For the 2nd part, if you shoot anything in the face it will leave you alone.:D

redoktober

Revolvers can jam, and malfunction . . . any mechanical device can fail. Personally I would rather have 15 rds plus a 17 rd spare mag than 6-8 shots and a speed strip. And my g19 packs considerable firepower in a lightweight package thats easy to carry, even when I have a loaded pack on.

For the 2nd part, if you shoot anything in the face it will leave you alone.:D

I don't know man. Counting on a face shot on a charging bear? I'm still going with 1) get a rifle or shotgun and 2) go with the least complicated mechanical device, which in the case of handguns is still the revolver. I'm concerned with stopping power, not firepower.

To each his own, it's your life after all!

FWIW, the guides in Alaska we met while fishing up there all had pump action .12 gauge shotguns or lever action .45-70s. They specifically said they choose the pump action shotgun because it had a lower probablity of jamming than a semi auto. Ditto with revolvers. Heck, some even go with a single action in .44 or .41 mag.

~Trigger~

Sep 6, 2010
    AZ Transplant
    I second the .460 Rowland, for an auto. Great piece of work.

Personally Ive always been partial to a Ruger Bisley in .45 Colt.

But being here in the eastern woods, I wouldnt figure you gents ought to worry much about the black bear here, as much as you should the other people.

Just be mindful of what kind of loads youre shooting. If he charges, dont bother yourself with aiming for the face. The face bobs up and down when he runs. Just shoot em where ever you have a clean shot. Preferrably the center of the chest. Use a heavy-for-caliber bullet.

If you want to save your ammo, a handheld air horn can work well also.

Oh yeah.....and a big jar of honey.

ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD
    I love the 460 Rowland.

Here is mine along with the xdm 3.8 45 and XDS45.

Rowland has the comp.

I use it for home defense. I hand load Nosler competition 185gr hp using Winchester Autocomp 13.5gr / oal 1.250 / getting 1550fps

They all have crimson trace lasers.

Attachments

• image-638864214.jpg
      image-638864214.jpg
      50.1 KB · Views: 113

PCO31

Glockstar
    Mar 3, 2011
    Ruger KP89 9mm....loaded with 124 gr plated Berry's TC handloads.....mimics the NATO rounds...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom