• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I did a search and found exactly ONE post on MDS...
    Several friends in my hometown of Harrisburg PA are raving about their scopes and binoculars. Tract is based out of Hummelstown PA (next to Hershey) They use German glass and are assembled in Japan.
    Supposedly they are absolutely top notch scopes but sell for sub $1000.
    Who is familiar with them?

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I did a search and found exactly ONE post on MDS...
    Several friends in my hometown of Harrisburg PA are raving about their scopes and binoculars. Tract is based out of Hummelstown PA (next to Hershey) They use German glass and are assembled in Japan.

I was at a MARS match a few years ago and some of the more serious shooters were using Tract. The build quality looks good but I didn’t get a chance to look through the glass. If they are using German glass and assembled in Japan that’s a good combination for quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roksfr

Ardent Safety Training
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 14, 2020
    Southern AA
    I have a couple of their scopes and have been very pleased with what they produce. The price point is very fair for what you get. I highly recommend them.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I did a search and found exactly ONE post on MDS...
    They're great scopes, but they're definitely not all sub-$1k.

They're great scopes, but they're definitely not all sub-$1k.
    On their site I found one for $1294 and one for $1494. All the rest were sub $1000.
    I started the thread because some childhood friends were claiming they had Nightforce quality optics for under $1000. I had never even heard of them, let alone knew they were based <10 miles from the home I grew up in.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    On their site I found one for $1294 and one for $1494. All the rest were sub $1000.
    I started the thread because some childhood friends were claiming they had Nightforce quality optics for under $1000. I had never even heard of them, let alone knew they were based <10 miles from the home I grew up in.
    Seen a couple. Looked through maybe one. Never tested any. Never done side by side comparison with NF (or anyone else's) glass. They kicked off with a direct sales model. Don't know if they are still doing it that way.

If you know someone who has one, I'll arrange a head to head with a razor and/or kahles and then something more around a grand. Probably an xtr2. I'm a whore for nice glass, but you already know that. Happy to find something good that's affordable if it exists.

Seen a couple. Looked through maybe one. Never tested any. Never done side by side comparison with NF (or anyone else's) glass. They kicked off with a direct sales model. Don't know if they are still doing it that way.

If you know someone who has one, I'll arrange a head to head with a razor and/or kahles and then something more around a grand. Probably an xtr2. I'm a whore for nice glass, but you already know that. Happy to find something good that's affordable if it exists.
    I THINK this is the one my PA deer hunter buddies are raving about. I knew they mentioned Schott glass and assembled in Japan for $500. This fits that description on their website.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I first saw these on a bunch of the gun tuber’s videos, extolling how great they were and that they were very affordable. The more popular they got on YouTube, the more they started costing online. They still seem pretty affordable, and while $1,500 isn’t exactly budget friendly, it’s still a ton better than $2,500 to $3,500 that the Razors and Nightforces will run you.

It’s good that there are brands out there that are well featured, and offer good quality for a reasonable price.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

What’s your opinion on NF vs Kahles? I’m probably going to need a new scope soon…

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    What’s your opinion on NF vs Kahles? I’m probably going to need a new scope soon…
    Depends on intended use case.

I shoot paper scoring rings and white painted steel plates with jap glass (razor 2s). I hunt with kraut/Austrian glass. I don't want to drift this thread too far. You and I seem to do that every time.

If you want to compare your NF to my razors and kahles we can certainly do that.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    I have two of their 4.5 to 30 scopes and a razor gen 3. The tracts are nice. Once you get to that level of optic though, it's the minor differences that you pick up on. First, the colors in the scope were a little warmer. The FoV is a little smaller than the razor. You either love or hate the turrets with the tall hat. There is a tiny loss in clarity at the very edges.

Their warranty is good. I had a scope fog on me in some terrible conditions so I sent it to them. They couldn't replicate it, but still sent me a new one. If you use scopes long enough and hard enough you will need to send it in for warranty imo so that's a big deal.

As far as cost, I typically use one of their sales or open box times to get their stuff. It takes off 10-20%.

If you want to look through the razor and tract side by side, you can look through mine at some point.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I have two of their 4.5 to 30 scopes and a razor gen 3. The tracts are nice. Once you get to that level of optic though, it's the minor differences that you pick up on. First, the colors in the scope were a little warmer. The FoV is a little smaller than the razor. You either love or hate the turrets with the tall hat. There is a tiny loss in clarity at the very edges.

Their warranty is good. I had a scope fog on me in some terrible conditions so I sent it to them. They couldn't replicate it, but still sent me a new one. If you use scopes long enough and hard enough you will need to send it in for warranty imo so that's a big deal.

As far as cost, I typically use one of their sales or open box times to get their stuff. It takes off 10-20%.

If you want to look through the razor and tract side by side, you can look through mine at some point.
    You make an excellent point about the warranty. And thank you for being the first data point I have for tract. It's a good first look. On that subject, vortex has been incredibly good and very fast on warranty issues for me and others I know. Swarovski has very good customer support as well (different price class though).

Think there's a place we could set up an MDS optics comparison opportunity? Color palette, etc. I suspect a few members would be interested. I can bring razor 2, kahles, xtr2, might be able to borrow a zco.

Merlin593

Mar 29, 2013
    Towson, MD
    He reviewed a secondhand scope.
    Yep - that was clearly stated in the video. C_DOES does a good job (better than most) of an all around review and the way he compares the scope being reviewed to other similar scopes from various manufacturers, is great. He liked the controls/fit and finish for the most part minus the locking mechanism on the turrets and battery cap design - obviously those facts don't have anything to do with it being second hand. Are you assigning the questionable tracking, side focus and significantly reduced elevation MOA to that fact that it's second hand? But I'm sure the chromatic aberration and some of the clarity issues can't be attributed to being second hand.
    What issues noted in the review do you think are attributable to the second hand status? Just curious.

Yep - that was clearly stated in the video. C_DOES does a good job (better than most) of an all around review and the way he compares the scope being reviewed to other similar scopes from various manufacturers, is great. He liked the controls/fit and finish for the most part minus the locking mechanism on the turrets and battery cap design - obviously those facts don't have anything to do with it being second hand. Are you assigning the questionable tracking, side focus and significantly reduced elevation MOA to that fact that it's second hand? But I'm sure the chromatic aberration and some of the clarity issues can't be attributed to being second hand.
    What issues noted in the review do you think are attributable to the second hand status? Just curious.
    The first thing that popped into my head was that he bought someone else's problem.
    Lots of people swear by these scopes and he picks up a used one and it has multiple issues. IMO, he should have sent it in for warranty work before giving a bad review on something he bought secondhand.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I've sent optics in to multiple manufacturers over the years. I will always at least call em (and send it in if they are decent) before I shit on them. The only one that was a secondhand issue (not the previous owners fault) was a razor but vortex had it turned around in 11 days, door to door.

If I were to perform a test of a new optic, I would want it to come from a distributors inventory so there was zero chance for the mfg to "cherry pick" and test it. The objective is to test what normally goes out the door. A secondhand optic, if issues are found, is sent back to the mfg (who in most cases will fine tooth comb it) and is received back, likely better than when new. A technician had hands on it at that point, not an assembler. Still not a "best" test for what the company ships daily.

leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    Squaregrouper and 4g64loser,

I have one of Tracts top end optics. Let me know if either of you want to take look at it or run a side by comparison to other scopes. I can lend it out to either of you. I’m from Germantown, MD

Regards,

Leo

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom