• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    My favorite gun shop has both the Ruger 7.62 AR and the SIG .308 AR. Price between the two is close, enough not be be the decision maker. I fear that any AR type platform will not be available much longer in this crappy state so I am going to purchase a AR-10 type soon. Both of these guns look great with a lot of nice features. I seem to have quite a Ruger collection and would not mind having another but dang, That SIG looks real good, too. What is a man to do? Wife is all for me buying one, but I don't think she would be for buying both. If it was you, which would you go for?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Ruger generally makes a solid firearm, but on the other hand the Sig 716 has more pedigree (to my knowledge anyways), I can't help you...

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    get the ruger. They have put an INCREDIBLE amount of money into developing this baby of theirs, and all the teething was done with the SR-556

No carrier tilt, a self cleaning piston that will literally outlast the barrel twice over, and exceptional reliability with a range of .308 ammo- which is HARD to do for any .308 autoloader BTW.

Go with the ruger, if just to get away from Direct Gas Impingement

Virtued86

Mar 1, 2012
    Fallston
    I'd lean more too the Sig. Reason behind that is I knew a person who traded their Scar 17 for a Sig because he liked the way it shot over his scar.

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    get the ruger. They have put an INCREDIBLE amount of money into developing this baby of theirs, and all the teething was done with the SR-556

No carrier tilt, a self cleaning piston that will literally outlast the barrel twice over, and exceptional reliability with a range of .308 ammo- which is HARD to do for any .308 autoloader BTW.

Go with the ruger, if just to get away from Direct Gas Impingement

Big Sig and Ruger are piston guns engineered that way from the ground up. Both accept SR-25 style mags which are generally available from PMag.

Ruger comes with 3 mags, Sig with 1.
    Sig comes with better furniture and rails.
    Sig is heavier than Ruger but as a result less felt recoil.
    Cost about the same.
    Do you prefer Ruger or Sig brand?

I went with Sig when faced with same choice.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    Thanks a lot felow gun nuts, you are going to cost me a bundle. Two guns instead of one, that means more mags and most expensive, another safe. That Ruger does look good for the money but now owning two SIG firearms that are top notch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom