• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • defygravity

May 5, 2012
    Baltimore County
    My mother is 66 years old and has never fired a gun. I'm not sure why. Growing up she always let me play with cap guns and the such, but actual firearms were never really brought up in my home, other than the passing "guns are dangerous" statement meant to keep me safe.

As a result, there was this latent sense of fear about them in the house, me included. I just never wanted to fire one, until I did. Now I'm here with the same addiction as the rest of you...

...anyway, last weekend....

My mother went to Havre de Grace with her friends for the War of 1812 anniversary thing they had going on up there. They stopped in a combination antique/pawn/gun shop (not sure if it was the IP on here or not). They got into looking at guns for some reason, and the guy showed them a .38 Lady Smith. This triggered an interest in them, and after handling a few more guns, they left.

When she got home, my mom called me (knowing I'm a gun guy) and expressed an interest in going shooting. This absolutely floored me. I can think of only 1 or 2 other things that I would imagine she'd never say.

So, I took her down to AGC on Monday for an early Mother's Day mom and son shoot. I brought along my wife's Model 10, because she seemed interested in revolvers. It took her some time to get the grip down and her finger on the trigger (her hands are super small), but she finally got the hang of it.

Then, like everyone else whom I've taken shooting for the first time, she laughed because it was so much fun.

She shot some more, and got pretty good when she remembered to aim at the big X.

In any case, it felt good to spend that time with her, and to be able to teach her about something that she was only afraid of out of ignorance.

Now I've not only gotten another shooting buddy, but also another 2A supporter as well!

Just thought it was a nice story to share with you all....Anyone else take their mothers out shooting?

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Cool story, and a nice thing to do for your Mom.

BTW, that lady in your avatar won't happen to be your Mom would it?

defygravity

May 5, 2012
    Baltimore County
    Cool story, and a nice thing to do for your Mom.

BTW, that lady in your avatar won't happen to be your Mom would it?

Haha, if my mom was the Queen of England, I'd have a lot more money for guns (living in England aside).

She's a good deal younger than that, but if she wanted a silenced Walther as her first gun, I'm sure a tear would run down my face.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

ofofhy

Jan 27, 2013
    Balto City
    Congrats. Next time my mom comes down to Balto, I told her I would take out to the range. At first she said no, but then she agreed. Now I just have to get her down here, perhaps when the Red Sox are in town this summer.

defygravity

May 5, 2012
    Baltimore County
    Congrats. Next time my mom comes down to Balto, I told her I would take out to the range. At first she said no, but then she agreed. Now I just have to get her down here, perhaps when the Red Sox are in town this summer.

It will DEFINITELY be worthwhile, for you AND her!

Glad so many people found my story uplifting! Its nice to finally have a bit of positivity come around, particularly with so much going on right now in the world of 2A.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

AnonymousShooter

Jan 2, 2012
    Salisbury, MD
    Great Story and an awesome Mother's Day present for sure. I've had similar experiences with people who have either never had an interest in guns or have been anti gun. It's a great feeling for sure.

RavensChick

Gun Loving Bitch
    I concur with everyone else...great story. Thanks for sharing.

My mom wants to go to the range with me and we are working on a good date/time. My parents own a small, old .32 (given to them by a relative in the 70s for protection) but just haven't shown much of an interest in guns. But, the are conservatives and pro-2A.

As they get up there in age, I would really like to get them something that they both could handle and could adequately protect them.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    That is great. I wish I could take my mother shooting, but she will not follow safety instructions. She waves a gun around like it is a water pistol. At 75, I will not be changing her.

august_west

Mar 8, 2009
    Woodbine, MD
    Awesome!

My mom, who is 61, just went to her first NRA event this past year and joined the NRA. It's cute, she is so proud, she's been showing off her NRA card whenever she can.

My dad just picked up a Henry .22 lever-action to take her to the range with. She says she wants to shoot my Ruger .357 (we'll start with the .38 ammo first)...Have a Happy Mother's Day to all the moms on here!

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    That reminds me, I need to see if my mother is up for a trip to the range next week. She did a little shooting a few years ago, and showed interest in starting up again when I showed her my GF's 22/45.

PMD354

My mom left this earth 15 years ago, but I did take her out to the range a few times and she enjoyed it very much. The real story is my wife. For 35 years she had no interst in going with me to the range. Three years ago I told her that I was going to the range and she asked if she could join me. It floored me. When she was 14 she was babysitting her little brother. The 6 year old found thier fathers 38 and took it out back and shot it clipping the neighbors kid in the ear. She was deathly afraid of guns ever since. So I packed up a few 22's, a M1 carbine, a AK47, and a few pistols. We started with the 22's and every time she shot the grin got bigger. By the end of the day she had shot everything that I had brung, even my Super Blackhawk 44 Mag, she shot it one time and handed it back to me and said "THANKS". She now has her own XDm in 9mm and now wants a Glock. I am now working on getting my gun hating neice to the range. I took her husband and two childern and they had a blast in more than 1 way.

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Excellent stories! There's certainly a recurring theme where people generally don't like guns out of fear, and then once they get exposure, their views do a 180. If only it were that easy to convince people on some other issues...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom