• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    Seems to me that "age" is not the issue. Physical and mental condition must be

the most important issues.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    It's a mechanical commodity. Period. Should there be an age limit on buying a toaster? No, of course not. Sure you can hurt or kill someone with a gun... but last time I checked, you could hurt or kill someone with a toaster too.

cart.jpg

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    Tell me more about what physical conditions nullify Constitutional rights?
    Well since you asked......I'm 84, been around firearms all my life since age 17.
    The question was ".....too old to buy a gun....." and Restrictions regarding
    that query. Nothing said about Constitutional Rights.
    To wit: failing eyesight might well be a reason for an individual to restrict
    oneself from buying a firearm, E.G., AMD(age -related macular degeneration)
    will mess up your sight alignment/sight picture. Yes, today, one can buy a firearm, but not for anyone else(straw purchase). In short, you should not buy a firearm if you can't see the target. I did not ever have to pass an eye examine, to buy a firearm.
    Going from the sublime to the ridiculous, how about a blind person.
    2A says nothing about age or ability. Throughout my life I have had numerous
    eye tests, and Life Style background investigations (polygraphs), but never any tests, health-wise, to buy or use a firearm. Firearms Special Olympics proves
    those who are challenged can compete. But, wearing glasses does nothing to correct AMD, or other "no cure" malady that interferes with safe shooting.
    Today the question, and answer, resides with the individual.
    So ,as I turn 85, my shooting days are over, and so are the thoughts of buying a firearm. So it goes. P.S. My diagnosis of AMD came after my Permit to Carry was issued. Permit will not be renewed, and carry firearm will be passed to my Daughter.

Last edited:

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Well since you asked......I'm 84, been around firearms all my life since age 17.
    will mess up your sight alignment/sight picture. Yes, today, one can buy a firearm, but not for anyone else(straw purchase). In short, you should not buy a firearm if you can't see the target. I did not ever have to pass an eye examine, to buy a firearm.
    eye tests, and Life Style background investigations (polygraphs), but never any tests, health-wise, to buy or use a firearm. Firearms Special Olympics proves
    those who are challenged can compete. But, wearing glasses does nothing to correct AMD, or other "no cure" malady that interferes with safe shooting.
    So ,as I turn 85, my shooting days are over, and so are the thoughts of buying a firearm. So it goes. P.S. My diagnosis of AMD came after my Permit to Carry was issued. Permit will not be renewed, and carry firearm will be passed to my Daughter.
    First of all I'm very sorry to hear that your eyesight is failing you to the point that you can't enjoy shooting anymore. When someone decides he or she should no longer shoot/handle/buy guns due to their physical condition (or any other reason) that's how it should be. No way the governement needs to stick their nose in. Even if someone is 100% blind why should they be prevented from buying a gun for collecting? The original post was asking about a maximum legal age, enforced by the government, that's a Constitutional infringement in my book. I don't trust any politician or government, give them an inch and they'll take a mile. Good luck to you.

And never say never, the guy in the video is completely blind and went deer hunting!

wpage

Ultimate Member
    Oct 17, 2022
    Southern Delaware
    Joe Biden is too old to be a president. So why is Joe Biden a obviously a incompetent elderly politician allowed to be our leader?

There need be a NICS type test for politicians. Especially if we now think folks are too old for thier constitutional right, and right to protect their family...

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have no problem with a blind or extremely visibility impaired person having a carry gun. I'm more concerned with people with very limited physical ability, but I still consider that an individual's decision, and not some arbitrary law.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"But Heller also said that “the people” “refers to all members of the political community."

All the people regardless of age, ability, or infirmary. Because rights are endowed by our creator.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    First of all I'm very sorry to hear that your eyesight is failing you to the point that you can't enjoy shooting anymore. When someone decides he or she should no longer shoot/handle/buy guns due to their physical condition (or any other reason) that's how it should be. No way the governement needs to stick their nose in. Even if someone is 100% blind why should they be prevented from buying a gun for collecting? The original post was asking about a maximum legal age, enforced by the government, that's a Constitutional infringement in my book. I don't trust any politician or government, give them an inch and they'll take a mile. Good luck to you.

And never say never, the guy in the video is completely blind and went deer hunting!

I think to a limited extent, just like certain people judged mentally defective should be limited. We take away keys at some point if you can't safely drive. And I realize one is a right, the other is not. The point though is, we DO address if someone can be safe or responsible. And yes, to a degree, we should with guns as well. But I don't think that should generally be the province of government to decide. Some mechanism in place, probably legal guardianship, where the kids, sibling, whomever it is taking care of their relative can have that person prevented from purchasing a firearm I think is proper and important. That can be anywhere from your kid (who already can't, I know) up through your grandparent that you are taking care of. If you have legal guardianship, you should also have the legal right to tell the government to "tell them no".

I can't think of any old people, that for age related reasons bought a gun and caused problems with it (I am sure there have been a number of suicides. I don't discount that). But I've heard and seen numerous cases where a family has tried to step in to stop one of their family members from buying or owning guns, who had a LONG streak of mental health problems and authorities basically shrugged and said, "they don't meet the qualifiers. Sorry nothing we can do if they are suicidal or homicidal unless they do something or you can get them on a mental health hold long enough AND that mental health hold gets properly reported".

If the family can go to court, get legal guardianship granted, and then report them to NICS that they should be prohibited. That would solve a lot of that. Its still on the family. I am fine with that.

But that should, again, take the caregiver/guardian having to file the proper legal paperwork to be declared the person's legal guardian. Not just simply "I don't want my dad to buy guns". If the court thinks the person should be granted legal guardianship over you, because you are incapable of taking care of yourself, that to me seems sufficient.

Just because someone IS your legal guardian should not make you prohibited.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom