• ...and so much more!
  • boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch

Well, there are a few things worth mentioning:
    - Metals tend to rust and even change their chrystalline structure,
    - Wood can dry rot

So yes a sufficiently old gun should not be bought since you canno verify its function.

If you are talking about the age of the buyer? Well, people tend to get a little bit less tight down there, so a good chance to buy some milsurp and corrosive ammo since you always have some cleaning liquid ready to stop the corrosion.

5string

Feb 21, 2014
    NC
    Well, there are a few things worth mentioning:
    - Metals tend to rust and even change their chrystalline structure,
    - Wood can dry rot

So yes a sufficiently old gun should not be bought since you canno verify its function.

If you are talking about the age of the buyer? Well, people tend to get a little bit less tight down there, so a good chance to buy some milsurp and corrosive ammo since you always have some cleaning liquid ready to stop the corrosion.
    I can't help how the link was posted, I didn't write it.
    Just copied and pasted.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    In seriousness, I don't think there should be a maximum age. I DO think there needs to be a point where a person may not be of sufficient sound mind to own or have access to a gun. Looking back, I wouldn't want my grandmothers in assisted living for dementia having access to a firearm as an example. But that isn't strictly an age thing. It is a question of is a person of sound mind? I don't want a 23 year crazy person having access to a gun either if they are in and out of mental health facilities.

If a person is basically at a mental place they need to be someone's ward (of the state, of their spouse, of their family, whatever), then I don't think they should have access to firearms. Or driving for that matter. Or their own finances. Etc.
    That’s the criteria, state of mind. One nice thing about the shooting sports is the ability to accommodate folks of huge age ranges and physical abilities.

5string

Feb 21, 2014
    NC
    In seriousness, I don't think there should be a maximum age. I DO think there needs to be a point where a person may not be of sufficient sound mind to own or have access to a gun. Looking back, I wouldn't want my grandmothers in assisted living for dementia having access to a firearm as an example. But that isn't strictly an age thing. It is a question of is a person of sound mind? I don't want a 23 year crazy person having access to a gun either if they are in and out of mental health facilities.

If a person is basically at a mental place they need to be someone's ward (of the state, of their spouse, of their family, whatever), then I don't think they should have access to firearms. Or driving for that matter. Or their own finances. Etc.
    People in assisted living that I know, aren't allowed access to firearms or cars.
    I wouldn't want my elderly grandparent who lives alone to be defenseless when the home invader breaks down the door. If they're capable of living alone, they're probably OK with a firearm.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    People in assisted living that I know, aren't allowed access to firearms or cars.
    I wouldn't want my elderly grandparent who lives alone to be defenseless when the home invader breaks down the door. If they're capable of living alone, they're probably OK with a firearm.
    And that should be a family decision, not a state decision. When my Father lived with me in the beginnings of Dementia I secured his guns in my house where he couldn't access them without me present. Just like I did for my kids when they were small.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    First, a poll of only 1500 is meaningless. Second, to entertain the poll's question brings up another question of "what other Constitutional rights should be restricted to a segment of citizens?"

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    John Burns says, "NO!"

330px-John_Burns_of_Gettysburg.jpg

Last edited:

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    There aren't any old people jacking cars, shooting up schools, robbing people, or any nefarious issues with guns so look someplace else for them to spew garbage.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom